PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a good DM-less game

Ruslan
2017-01-27, 03:07 PM
As the title says, I'm looking for a roleplaying game where there is no one player that takes up the role of Dungeon Master (Game Master, Storyteller), but rather, all players have equal standing. I am already aware of Fiasco, but looking for something more swords-and-sorcery flavored.

Preferably something with a physical book rather than online pdf (it's for a gift, and a physical book just looks more impressive than "here, I emailed you a link").

Koo Rehtorb
2017-01-27, 06:19 PM
Fall of Magic.

Blackhawk748
2017-01-27, 06:39 PM
Well, before you said Sword and Sorcery i was gonna reccomend the board game Shadows of Brimstone, as there very much is a n RP element there if you want it. However its a Weird West game. I know they are making an expansion set in Japan soon, but i dont know if it has magic.

Knaight
2017-01-27, 07:04 PM
If you're good with something that is an excellent game and which can do (but is by no means restricted to) swords and sorcery there's always Microscope. I've sung its praises here before, but the short version is that it is brilliant, it is unique in a way that actually makes it feel different from other games in play, and that the core concept of a non-chronological timeline building game is extremely well supported while also even more fun than it sounds.

daniel_ream
2017-01-27, 10:37 PM
In a Wicked Age, Universalis, Agon, Archipelago, Blood Red Sands, (arguably) Beast Hunters, S/Lay w/Me, among others.

These are mostly narrative games, but you're already familiar with Fiasco so that shouldn't be too big a deal. There's also no small number of fantasy playsets (http://fiascoplaysets.com/genre:fantasy) for Fiasco.

Giant2005
2017-01-28, 12:44 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but Tunnels and Trolls and its Solitaire Adventures might suit your needs.
It is basically a solid system with a series of adventures presented in an old shcool "pick a path" format, so even the DM has no real idea what is going to happen next until he moves to the directed page.
I'd recommend one called "The Amulet of the Salkti". It feels the most grand in scope.