PDA

View Full Version : 4 arms, rapid shot, and palm throw

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-20, 03:24 PM
A ECL 10 Thri-Kreen with multiweapon fighting, multishot, and palm throw, and a BAB of 8, gets how many attacks?

It doesn't scale geometrically, does it?

Iku Rex
2007-07-20, 03:58 PM
If you mean Manyshot that's an archery feat and it requires a standard action. It doesn't enter into this.

The character in your example would normally have 4 attacks at -2 and another at -7 (one extra attack at -5 from BAB). 5 attacks at -4 and one at -9 using Rapid Shot. With palm throw you can throw 2 weapons with each attack roll, for a total of 12 weapons thrown using Rapid Shot.

I'm not sure if that would technically be 12 "attacks" or 6 "attacks".

Pick up Improved Multiweapon Fighting next. :smallsmile:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-20, 04:03 PM
No, Palm Throw is a Master Thrower (PrC, Complete Warrior) ability that lets you throw two throwing weapons in one hand.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-20, 04:21 PM
Let's see.

Primary +6/Primary +1/Secondary +6/Tertiary +6/Quarternary +6

Palm Throw doubles that, so:

Primary +6/+6/Primary +1/+1/Secondary +6/+6/Tertiary +6/+6/Quaternary +6/+6.

10 attacks, 11 if you feel like nabbing Rapid Shot, 12 if you Palm Throw your Rapid Shot. Forget Manyshot; it doesn't work with thrown weapons. However, you can use Improved Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMultiweaponFighting)...which, hey, you can grab at BAB+9.

Having such would change your attack routine to (augmented for BAB +9):

Primary +7/+7/Primary +2/+2/Secondary +7/+7/Secondary +2/+2/Tertiary +7/+7/Tertiary +2/+2/Quaternary +7/+7/Quaternary +2/+2.

...for sixteen attacks, seventeen with Rapid Shot, eighteen with a Palm Throw Rapid Shot.

Lemur
2007-07-20, 06:03 PM
Palm throw doesn't actually double your attacks. Rather, it lets you throw two weapons with a single attack roll (somewhat similar to manyshot). Damage for each weapon is rolled separately, so bonus damage is added to each weapon (minus precision-based damage, according to CW errata).

psychoticbarber
2007-07-20, 07:45 PM
Let's see.

Primary +6/Primary +1/Secondary +6/Tertiary +6/Quarternary +6

Is "Quarternary" a word? I'm asking because I'm not sure, not because I think you're wrong.

Edit: I should remember I have access to the internet before I ask these questions.

"The sequence continues with quaternary, quinary, senary, septenary, octonary, nonary, denary." Ask Oxford! (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/primary)

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-21, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I meant rapid shot, as per the thread title.

So wait, is Fax right or Lemur right?

As I understand it, I get 2 attacks with the primary hand, and 3 more with the other "off hands". Then Rapid Shot doubles all those attacks for a -2 penalty. Palm Throw would then again double those attacks, since each attack can have two weapons thrown rather than one.

So that would be... *counts on fingers*
2 with primary hand
3 from multiweapon fighting
Double that with rapid shot for 10 attacks
Palm Throw to make those 10 attacks into 20.

20 attacks?
Seems wrong. Where'd I go wrong?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-21, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I meant rapid shot, as per the thread title.

So wait, is Fax right or Lemur right?

As I understand it, I get 2 attacks with the primary hand, and 3 more with the other "off hands". Then Rapid Shot doubles all those attacks for a -2 penalty. Palm Throw would then again double those attacks, since each attack can have two weapons thrown rather than one.

So that would be... *counts on fingers*
2 with primary hand
3 from multiweapon fighting
Double that with rapid shot for 10 attacks
Palm Throw to make those 10 attacks into 20.

20 attacks?
Seems wrong. Where'd I go wrong?

Rapid Shot doesn't double, it merely adds one.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-21, 06:00 PM
Rapid Shot doesn't double, it merely adds one.

Benefit
You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in that round (the extra one and the normal ones) takes a -2 penalty. You must use the full attack action to use this feat.

As I read it, you have a lot more than one ranged weapon. Ergo, you make more than one extra attack.

But your interpretation makes FAR more sense.

Lemur
2007-07-21, 06:20 PM
Fax is right, I was just correcting the application of palm throw. Technically it doesn't double your attacks, but lets you throw two weapons with a single attack roll. So you'd get 5 attacks normally, or 6 attacks with Rapid Shot.

You can use Palm Throw with each of those attacks, but the distinction is that you're not making more attack rolls than usual. If you hit with an attack, you hit with two weapons at once. Damage is determined separately, so bonus damage* is added to each weapon, but it also means that damage reduction is applied to both weapons.

*Strength Damage isn't applied to either weapon, according to the entry for Palm Throw. According to the errata, precision damage, like sneak attack, is only applied to one weapon, not both.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-21, 07:11 PM
Problem with that reading of rapid shot: I drew a new weapon, so I get an extra attck with it. So, throwing with rapid shot:

Primary: X-2/X-2
Secondary: Wait, X-2 was a different weapon, so another X-2.
Tertiary: Wait, the 3'rd X-2 was another weapon, so another X-2,

Etc, ad infinitum.

Reductio ad absurdium.