PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Captain America build advice

WarrentheHero
2017-01-27, 05:58 PM
I'm ramping up for a Pathfinder game a friend of mine is considering starting, and I've grown very attached to a particular build, but I want to make as great as possible: Shield-Throwing and Bashing. We're likely going to start at 3rd level, so the build should be somewhat viable by that point. Here's what I've got so far:

Level 1: Monk [Far Strike Archetype]
-Trait[Race]: Shield Bearer
-Trait[Rel]: Shield-Trained
-Flurry of Blows
-Proficiency in all Thrown weapons
-Feat[M]: Improved Unarmed Strike
-Feat[M]: Quick Draw
-Feat: Point Blank Shot
-Feat[H]: Two-Handwd Thrower
-Feat[M]: Improved Grapple
Level 2: Brawler [Shield Champion Archetype]
-Proficiency in Light Armor, Shields, and Simple Weapons
-Brawler's Cunning
-Martial Flexibility
-Martial Training
Level 3: Brawler 2
-Brawler's Flurry
-Feat: Shield Focus
-Feat[B]: Improved Shield Bash

That's the build so far. It lets me throw my shield, punch hard, grapple when I'm not throwing, and gives me flexibility in combat (Martial Flexibility). The plan is to keep taking Bralwer thereafter, taking Two-Weapon Fighting and Grabbing Style at levels 5 and 6 in order to be better at my grapples while qualifying for Shield Slam at level 7. The Brawler Levels will also make my throwing easier. After level 7, everything else becomes sorta optional, though it's possible to keep the split focus of shield feats and grapple feats, and Martial Flexibility allows you to sort-of gain another.

With a chain shirt and my shield, my AC is 19 at 3rd level, and my attacks with my shield are 1d8+5 (1d6 Throwing Shield+Size up for Spikes+1.5Str from Two-Weapon Throw), with the option of throwing the shield. By 6th level, or when I can get the shield enchanted, I can have the shield return to me when I'm done with it.

Is there anything I'm missing here? As far as I understand, everything outlined herein works in RAW, and the build doesn't seem too weak. My experience with Pathfinder is limited, however, so I might have missed some efficiency or rules conflict somewhere.

legomaster00156
2017-01-27, 06:05 PM
Well, yeah, the Shield Champion was pretty much created just for playing Captain America, so good choice on that. :smallcool:

Blyte
2017-01-27, 06:08 PM
I think that shield brawler is a good option.

Other options would be cavalier, cuz cap used to ride a motorcycle, and vigilante (i think there is an option they get that let's them give their weapons returning.)

Triskavanski
2017-01-27, 07:09 PM
Actually returning weapons is bleh. You want the feat in the weapon master's guide, Richochet toss I think it is, to be able to bounce your sheild off things and have it come back to you every time the attack his resolved.

WarrentheHero
2017-01-27, 07:39 PM
As cool as Ricochet Toss is, I need the Weapon Training class feature for it, and I don't think there's a lot of room for those class features in this build, especially at those low levels.

upho
2017-01-27, 11:04 PM
Here's some possible tips and inspiration. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454387-Wolf-Trip-Shield-Champion-Intimidation-Martial-Control-of-Gravitas&highlight=gravitas) Some of the stuff can probably be replace by even better options available now, but most of it should be the same.

Regarding returning weapon, don't. It's a trap. There's basically only one 1pp solution to it and that's a Blinkback Belt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-blink-back). So make sure you're allowed to stack magic items in the same slot for a 50% markup. Without Blinkback, Mighty Hurling and +stats, the whole concept is basically not doable.

Of course, "Captain Andoran" can get much better with PoW and Powerful Throw from Akashic Mysteries by Dreamscarred Press.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-01-28, 02:13 AM
check with dm if Path of War is allowed. Iron tortoise maneuvers are all about shieldbashes and throwing a bouncing plate of metal to your enemies. No need for returning enchantment as well :)

khadgar567
2017-01-28, 03:23 AM
you know my last society game one gut literally use fighter to archive what cap does and the funny thing its fighter 1

Triskavanski
2017-01-28, 05:26 AM
As cool as Ricochet Toss is, I need the Weapon Training class feature for it, and I don't think there's a lot of room for those class features in this build, especially at those low levels.

There is a feat you could take that gives you pseudo weapon training that qualifies you. It wouldn't be something you could use until later levels.