PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Kara-Tur, Symbol & Weapons for Kwan Ying?

xroads
2017-01-27, 10:18 PM
I am playing a life cleric who has the background "Far Traveler". He hails from Kara-Tur.

I don't know much about the religions of Kara-Tur. But what I can find is that many of the residents of Kara-Tur worship the Celestial Bureaucracy. The upper ranks of which consist of the Celestial Emperor and eight immortals (oddly, most references say nine, but only list eight).

Since I suspect my character would probably be sponsored by Kwan Ying, the immortal/goddess of mercy & compassion, does any one have any ideas what her symbol could be and/or favored weapon?

The Shadowdove
2017-01-28, 12:01 AM
Culturally an image of female deities is fine. It doesn't always have to be an obscure representation.

A lotus with a scroll on it would work though. Or perhaps the sword that spared her, which was a blade that shattered.

For favored weapon, open hand. Or perhaps bo staff. Monk weapons really, as there were many monks who went on pilgrimages to honor or receive blessings from Quan Yin.

Fantasy wise it could be fluffed that her order only carried dulled blades, or wooden variants of swords and chose to do non-lethal damage often.

Zilong
2017-01-28, 12:29 AM
Considering most the "real life" depictions of Kwan tin have her either unarmed or holding a potted plant (not exactly but you get the idea) I'd say either a sword (to represent the leaves of her plant) or an open palm (ala monk monastic order) would be the best weapons.

xroads
2017-01-28, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

A lotus with a scroll on it would work though. Or perhaps the sword that spared her, which was a blade that shattered.

For favored weapon, open hand. Or perhaps bo staff. Monk weapons really, as there were many monks who went on pilgrimages to honor or receive blessings from Quan Yin.

I like the idea of an open hand as a favored weapon. I'm visualizing my cleric casting Spiritual Weapon, which results in a ghost like hand that goes around slapping enemies. :smallamused:

I hadn't seen any references to her being spared or any shattered blade. What's the story behind that?

Herobizkit
2017-01-28, 09:31 PM
In the 2ed Legends & Lore book, Kwan Ying is listed as having Staff as her favored weapon and her symbol is an infant lying on a lotus flower.