PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Reformationist, a PRC based on Bastion from Overwatch.

Morphic tide
2017-01-28, 12:00 AM
So, I'm starting to want to make Overwatch based PRCs to distract myself from the despair of idiotic team-mates that I can't tell to do anything because I lost my headset. I'm stuck as an Ana main because over 3/4 of the matches I'm in, I'm the only healer and I refuse to go Mercy because I like kills. Full 1-20 classes gets kinda hard to do for the bare-bones ones. This one is able to be done entirely in 3.5, but some of the future ones will require both 3.5 and Pathfinder things to enter. This one is, as the thread title says, based on Bastion. But it's not a straight adaptation, it is based on Bastion's general mechanics and the messy design history of the character. There were at least three different Ultimates throughout the development process and some heavy alterations to other abilities.

So, without further explanations, have the PRC:

The Reformationist

Role: The Reformationist can hold almost every role, dependant on their choice of forms and spells/Infusions. They can focus on dealing damage to masses of foes, hold large numbers of enemies away and perform scouting, among other things.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Reformationists have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Due to prerequisites, Constitution is usually irrelevant for Reformationists. Intelligence and Dexterity are the two primary ability scores of Reformationists, although Strength and Wisdom are important in some circumstances and forms.
Alignment: Reformationists can be any alignment, although True Neutral is the most common alignment for them due to their origins.
Hit Die: d10

Requirements:

Creature Type: Construct
Spells: Alter Self, Mending, Minor Creation, one Evocation spell dealing Fire, Electricity or Force damage.
BAB: +4
Special: The Spells requirements can be substituted with the ability to use 2nd level Infusions.

Class Skills
The Reformationist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Knowledge(all, taken separately) (Int), Climb (Str), Swim (Str), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), Listen (Wis), Survival (Wis), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha) and Sense Motive (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int

Reformationist

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells/Infusions per day

1st

+1

+2

+0

+2
Primary Form

2nd

+2

+3

+0

+3
Self-Repair
+1 to existing class

3rd

+3

+4

+1

+3
Secondary Form
+1 to existing class

4th

+4

+4

+1

+4
Improved Primary Form
+1 to existing class

5th

+5

+4

+1

+4
Secondary Body

6th

+6/+1

+5

+2

+5
Improved Secondary Form
+1 to existing class

7th

+7/+2

+5

+2

+5
Multiform
+1 to existing class

8th

+8/+3

+6

+2

+6
Improved Secondary Body
+1 to existing class

9th

+9/+4

+6

+3

+6
Arcane Infusions
+1 to existing class

10th

+10/+5

+7

+3

+7
Improved Multiform

Class Features: The following are class features of the Reformationist:

Spells/Infusions per day: When a new Reformationist level is gained, the character gains new spells and infusions per day as if they had also gained a level in a class with spellcasting and/or Infusions they to before adding the prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting and/or infusions. If a character had more than one class with spellcasting and/or infusions before becoming a Reformationist, they must decide to which class they add the new level for purposes of determining spells or infusions per day. (clunky, but what this means is that you can split those levels between Artificer and a caster, if you feel like it)

Primary Form: At first level, a Reformationist may select one form from the Reformationist Form list. Taking a full-round action, they may enter their Primary Form by expending a 1st level Spell or Infusion slot, gaining the abilities of that form and losing their Natural Weapons. They may remain in their Primary Form as long as they wish, and may transform into their Primary Form as many times as they wish. At level 4, they gain additional abilities of the form.

Self-Repair: At second level, a Reformationist may sacrifice a Spell or Infusion slot as a Swift Action to heal health based on the slot sacrificed, according to the table below:

Health Gained
Needed Spell Level
Needed Infusion Level
Needed Reformationist Level

1d10
1st
1st
1st

3d10
2nd
1st
2nd

4d10
3rd
2nd
3rd

6d10
4th
2nd
4th

7d10
5th
3rd
5th

9d10
6th
3rd
6th

10d10
7th
4th
7th

11d10
8th
4th
8th

13d10
9th
5th
9th

14d10
9th
6th
10th

One of the few things that has better effeciency for Arcane casters than Infusion users, namely Artificer.

Secondary Form: At third level, a Reformationist may select a second form. This Secondary Form may be entered, gaining the abilities of the form, as a Full-Round Action, expending a Spell or Infusion slot to do so. The form lasts for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell slot expended, or twice the level of the Infusion slot. At level 6, they gain additional abilities of the form. (yes, this puts Artificer quite a lot ahead. But I think Wizards and Sorcerers have enough tricks to make it worth the lesser power of class features. After all, they get non-setting-based content and have much more homebrew than Artificers. Also, it can be the same thing as your primary form, but why would you reduce your versatility like that?)

Secondary Body: At fifth level, a Reformationist gains a Secondary Body, which has the same appearance as them except that it is two size categories lower and has one-half the Reformationist's BAB, Reflex and Constitution saves 3 lower than the Reformationist's, physical ability scores 4 lower, the same mental ability scores, a number of d10 hit dice equal to the Reformationist's level in the Reformationist PRC, the same skill ranks and all racial, Extraordinary and Reformationist abilities the Reformationist has. The Secondary Body and Reformationist share a single mind, so all Mind Effecting affects and mental ability score changes that effect one effect both and their senses are fully shared. Any spells or Infusions a Reformationist casts may be cast from their Secondary Body. If the Secondary Body is destroyed, then the Reformationist may spend two hours and at least 10 levels of spells or 5 levels of Infusions to recreate the secondary body. If the reformationist dies or is destroyed, then the secondary body goes inert, but counts as remains for effects that can bring the dead back to life.

At eighth level, the secondary body becomes one size category lower than the Reformationist, has 2/3rds the Reformationist's BAB, 1/2 the Reformationist's health, Reflex and Constitution saves 1 lower and physical ability scores 2 lower. Other statistics and abilities are unchanged from fifth level, except that if the Reformationist dies, the secondary body continues functioning and may spend 16 hours and 30 spell levels or 15 Infusion levels to revive the Reformationist as if Resurrection were cast using the secondary body as remains. (Yes, the replacement is largely a slap on the wrist. That's because one of the options is to use is as a freaking bomb. Flying, rolling, running, several Forms will have self destruct options that allow the Secondary Body to blow up as a suicide attack. The level 8 upgrade does not keep the casting and infusions when the main body dies, so it is best to run the hell away when the main body dies at that level, if not refuse to get in danger range at that point with one or the other. On the upside, Scry or Die was never so safe. I mean, sure, you can still be mind raped to hell and back,[possibly literally in both "to hell and back" and Mind Raped] but you don't have to worry about actually dying from it. Unless you get hit with a kill that targets souls or minds as the thing to obliterate)

Multiform: At seventh level, a Reformationist may access the abilities of both their Primary and Secondary Forms by expending a spell or infusion slot while in their Primary or Secondary Form. This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to their Reformationist level. Instead of accessing the abilities of their secondary form, they may disable any number of abilities from their Primary or Secondary Form.

At tenth level, a Reformationist may access the abilities of their Primary and Secondary forms while also being able to disable any number of abilities from either form. (You know the self destructs? Yea, you may want to disable those if you have to deal with a mind controller. Also, there are other disadvantages to some forms. Like not having hands, or being unable to use Infusions)

Arcane Infusions: At ninth level, a Reformationist may expend Spell Slots to perform Infusions of an Infusion level half the spell slot level, rounding up, or refresh an Infusion of that level. In addition, they may apply Metamagic to Infusions and Reformationist abilities, halving the spell slot increase of the metamagic and rounding up or expending a spell slot with a spell level equal to the metamagic slot increase, and treat Infusions as spells for all beneficial effects. (Random Theurge Ability. I could have stuck an Improved Self-Repair here, but I couldn't think of any relevant effects to add except maybe ability damage healing, which has enough counters already and has very few ways of inflicting it on constructs. Although the slot conversion is a significant bonus to make using this as a Wizard/Artificer functional)

Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, -4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution(in case you are a Construct with a Con score), +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma, +4 Wisdom
Immobile: A Reformationist in Sentry Form has no move speed.
Mute, Limbless A Reformationist in Sentry Form cannot speak and has no limbs, preventing them from using spells that require verbal or somatic components.
Intelligent Targeting: A Reformationist in Sentry Form can use their Intelligence modifier instead of Dexterity for ranged weapon to-hit.
Sentry Turret: A Reformationist in Sentry Form has a Sentry Turret. Treat this as a Natural and Manufactured weapon, whichever is more beneficial, with a 100 ft. range increment, 4 damage and a 19-20 crit range. They may make a full attack as a standard action and may attack three times per Reformationist level as a Full Round action. Reformationists of sizes other than Medium have damage and ranges according to the following table: (Do you want to roll 60 dice for a Full Attack? I though not, so I gave fixed damage numbers to have only 30 dice on a full attack)
[SPOILER=Sentry Turret table]

Size
Damage
Range Increment

Fine
20 ft.

Diminutive
40 ft.

Tiny
60 ft.

Small
80 ft.

Large
120 ft.

Huge
150 ft.

Gargantuan
190 ft.

Colossal
240 ft.

Braced Arrangement: Only active if Sentry Form is an Improved Form. A Reformationist in Sentry Form applies their Constitution modifier to Reflex saves and cannot be tripped, knocked prone or forced to move unwillingly by means other than teleportation.
Shield Generator: Only available if Sentry Form is active as your Secondary Form. When entering Sentry Form, a Reformationist gains a barrier with Fast Healing 1d6, a number of d12 hit dice equal to their Reformationist level and AC of 10+their Int modifier+their Enhancement Bonus to Armor+their Enhancement Bonus to Natural Armor. (yes, that is a Fast Healing number expressed as dice. You roll the d6 for how much HP comes back. As for the lengthy AC on the barrier, that's to make sure that it has a good AC without getting the non magical armor and the inappropriate dexterity involved)
Charged Shot: Only available if Sentry Form is active as your Secondary Form. While in Sentry Form, you may expend a spell or infusion slot to double the base damage of your Sentry Turret attacks for a number of rounds equal to the spell slot level or twice the Infusion slot level. The extra damage is multiplied by critical hits and is Electricity damage, Force Damage or Fire Damage, whichever is most beneficial. (In case it isn't clear, choosing something as your Secondary Form basically makes it your ultimate)

[SPOILER]
There will be at least three more forms added later, including a dedicated suicider(yes, I have ways of making that work out as part of practical play) and the iconic tank mode(HTML checkers and quoters paying attention will notice the empty spoiler. Yes, they normally are not visible, I left it there as a reminder when I start editing in the thing), not included because of time issues. Maybe a D.Va Mech equivalent form, for the foolish DMs that allow Leadership in full force and the crazy players who want to ride inside their Cohort. And maybe a melee focused one, which works out well thanks to the fact that the Reformationist can spend spell and infusion slots for health on the fly.

Could somebody come up with better wording on the abilities? It's long and clumsy and more than a little confusing, although the last one may be from sleep deprivation. Suggestions for Forms would also be appreciated, preferably as written out things.