PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Gestalt Ideas

Kerrigor
2017-01-28, 03:54 AM
I've got a DM who's wanting to start a 3.x, Level 1-until we decide to quit game.
(I don't know of 3.x is a term anyone besides my DM uses, so it's 3.5. with 3.0 spell durations.) This game is High power. We will be taking on gods, becoming avatars of gods, destroying armies, and getting magic items like they're going out of style. Now, I've played a Barbarian before, but a) not a gestalt, and b)not one with a higher intelligence than 7. So this will be a tad different from normal.
All sources are available, psionics aren't preferred.
The party consists of 11. We've got
A half elf were-raven druid/nature cleric
A half celestial ranger/scout
A winged elf Cleric/fighter
A half ogre Paladin/fighter
A human bard/paladin of Bahamut
A human werebear monk/fighter
A human samurai/Kensai

And the others are undecided.
I want to play a barbarian/something. Started off as a human noble. Was killed, and made a deal with...Something. Good or bad is unclear currently. It gave him a new life, the gift of rage(DM doesn't like tons of barbarian's, so I had to give a reason my character is one), gave him a shiny new weapon, and made him a ________(fill in race here, I was thinking Goliath, but if there's a better idea, I'll take it)
I was thinking about going frenzied or runescarred beserker, but again, open to ideas.
Oh and stats are
Unassigned as yet.

Bullet06320
2017-01-28, 06:19 AM
ive done an earth dwarf UA variant
1 bear totem barbarian/dwarf paragon 1
2 bear totem barbarian/dwarf paragon 2
3 bear totem barbarian/dwarf paragon 3
4 bear totem barbarian/fighter 1
5 bear totem barbarian/fighter 2
6 bear totem barbarian/dwarvin battlerager 1

that's pretty much where the character died, but I based it off the battle ragers from the r a Salvatore novels, a big ball of spiked armor with no fear, lol

don't recall the whole build but did mostly a grapple build with the spikes and spike gauntlets

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-28, 09:13 AM
A party of 11!?

How do you feel about being a true adept of the Whirling Frenzy, Gwynharwyf? Barbarian 2/fighter 2/crusader 1/champion of gwynharwyf 10/revenant blade 5 would be pretty cool. Use the other side of the gestalt to pick up useful tricks; maybe straight bard levels, and optimize Inspire Courage with Words of Creation? You'd be a charismatic and intelligent barbarian, with paladin-esque and bard abilities, to be the ultimate inspirational (and intimidating) barbarian. You'd also be two-weapon fighting with two-handed weapons (Revenant Blade 5 ability). Arrange your stats like 18/13/17/16/13/14, and increase your charisma by 1 point at level 4, then strength for the rest (you need 15 int/cha to qualify for Words of Creation).

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/e/e0/Champion_of_Gwynharwyf.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090325171804

Interestingly, the Revenant Blade is from Eberron, and that picture of a Champion of Gwynharwyf is from the Book of Exalted Deeds; the classes are unrelated, but made for eachother.

Nifft
2017-01-28, 02:55 PM
Barbarian // Cloistered Cleric --> Well-Read Sonja

Mild-mannered and kind when not raging.

THE GODDAMN HULK when raging.

Take Quicken & Divine Metamagic: Quicken so you can lay one spell on yourself before entering Rage.

Metahuman1
2017-01-28, 11:28 PM
Cloistered cleric is a good idea. And you can persist Righteous Might, Divine Power and that circle kill spell (away from books at the moment but it's a 4th level cleric spell that gives you a +2 to Str when you kill something in it.) to pay for power attacking. And for stone power if your so inclined.

mabriss lethe
2017-01-29, 12:15 AM
Changeling Barbarian//Rogue/Warshaper/Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy/whatever

You're the shapeshifting love child of a sordid affair between a food processor and a phone psychic. Have fun.

DMVerdandi
2017-01-29, 12:26 AM
Necropolitan Human Barbarian//Sha'ir 15/war weaver 5

18 Cha
-
17 Str
16 Dex
13 Wis
14 Int

I say Sha'ir because one thing that is missing from the equation is Arcane spells. It also gives you a Gen (Djinn Familiar) That is apart of the faustian deal. Fluff wise, upon being killed, could have made a wish with a Djinn to come back to life stronger to get revenge on his killer.

Health and Your spell casting are tied to CHA, so you can just buff it to high heaven, and get better than normal benefits from it.
Sha'ir is in the Dragon Compendium BTW.

Play up the whole Wishmaster/Madoka magica type of angle. The whole "This isn't exactly what I asked for" type of sentiment.

Kerrigor
2017-01-29, 12:42 AM
Okay, all of those ideas sound amazing. But I took a look at the Champion of Gwynharwyf and I think I might have found something new and interesting. I talked to the DM; he knows about this thread and approves. He gave me two options. I can either have started out as an eladrin instead of human and be a [fill-in race here]. Or, I can be a human who was changed into eladrin. However, I've been unable to find stats for a 3.5 eladrin playable race.
So, which route should I go, eladrin prince->whateve or human noble->eladrin? And if I go noble->eladrin could someone kindly link eladrin stats?

Yklikt
2017-01-29, 12:53 AM
I like your name.

Kerrigor
2017-01-29, 03:07 AM
Not going to lie, it's not my idea. Kerrigor is from a book called Sabriel. It's Rogerrick backwards, sort of. It's going to be the name of my character.
Another good name from that book is Touchstone. I use it for warforged.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-29, 09:43 AM
Okay, all of those ideas sound amazing. But I took a look at the Champion of Gwynharwyf and I think I might have found something new and interesting. I talked to the DM; he knows about this thread and approves. He gave me two options. I can either have started out as an eladrin instead of human and be a [fill-in race here]. Or, I can be a human who was changed into eladrin. However, I've been unable to find stats for a 3.5 eladrin playable race.
So, which route should I go, eladrin prince->whateve or human noble->eladrin? And if I go noble->eladrin could someone kindly link eladrin stats?
Eladrin are outsiders, meaning they have full base attack, all good saves, and 8 skill points/level. Part of their eladrin traits are various resistances, immunities, an alternate form ability, and often SLAs and high stat boosts. They also have crazy-high LA.

There are two eladrin in the Monster Manual: bralani and ghaele. There are four more in the Book of Exalted Deeds: coure, firre, shiradi, and tulani.

Bralani have 6 HD and 5 LA, with stat boosts of +8/+8/+6/+2/+4/+4, +6 natural armour, a 100' (perfect) fly speed, and a number of spell-like abilities, special qualities, and immunities.

Ghaele don't have a level adjustment, likely because they're considered level 20+ equivalent. They cast as a level 14 cleric, even though they have only 10 RHD. 'Nuff said.

Coure have 2 HD and +5 LA. They're Tiny, so they're not exactly the first choice for barbarian builds, but you could do something interesting, perhaps.

Firre have 8 HD and +10 LA (!). They cast spells as a level 12 cleric.

Shiradi have 12 HD and +12 LA. Weirdly enough, they have no cleric casting. That is a record-stupid LA, even with the SLAs they get.

Tulani have 18 HD and +10 LA. They have bardic music as 18th-level bards, but no spellcasting, though their SLAs are potent. These are eladrin nobles.

Overall, I would suggest going with the inevitably downward-adjusted LAs suggested here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21372773&postcount=545) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21375332&postcount=548), and picking a ghaele monster class based on that, alongside the barbarian/champion of gwynharwyf build I posted.