PDA

View Full Version : Player Help ECL and extra hit dice

TheDisjointed
2017-01-28, 05:18 AM
So chances are this doesn't work but I figured I ask. If a template gives 2 more HD, racial btw, and the ECL for starting characters is 5, would you get the two additional HD or would they be "eaten" by class levels and just end up with 5 HD?

zergling.exe
2017-01-28, 05:22 AM
So chances are this doesn't work but I figured I ask. If a template gives 2 more HD, racial btw, and the ECL for starting characters is 5, would you get the two additional HD or would they be "eaten" by class levels and just end up with 5 HD?

You would have (5 - RHD - LA) class levels at the start. So with no other RHD or LA you would have 3 class levels with that template.

TheDisjointed
2017-01-28, 05:24 AM
Thanks Zergling.exe

John Longarrow
2017-01-28, 08:38 AM
What is the level adjustment for the race you want to play?

Please remember, racial HD are dealt with first (for things like skills and feats you qualify for) then you add class levels on top.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-28, 08:44 AM
You would have (5 - RHD - LA) class levels at the start. So with no other RHD or LA you would have 3 class levels with that template.
Keep in mind that your base race has 1 RHD, which is traded for a class level. With the template, you have 3 RHD, none of which can be traded for a class level. At best, you would have 2 class levels with that template.

KillianHawkeye
2017-01-30, 01:21 AM
OP, can you say what template it is? Not many templates add racial Hit Dice....

Tiri
2017-01-30, 01:27 AM
OP, can you say what template it is? Not many templates add racial Hit Dice....

Possibly Multiheaded, which is the only 2 RHD-adding template I can think of offhand.

Broodspawn and Beast of Xvim also do this, but with 3 and 1 RHD respectively. Beast of Xvim also lets you gain RHD by eating people.

OldTrees1
2017-01-30, 01:29 AM

1)If a template grants additional racial HD (say Werewolf's +2 HD) then those racial HD are included in the final build & count towards ECL.

2)If a creature starts with 1 and only 1 racial HD, they may* trade that 1 and only 1 racial HD in for a class level.
*If you are an NPC or become an NPC this offer may be void depending on your creature type. Please consult a doctor if your ECL exceeds 20 or starts changing colors.

In conclusion:
Yes, those HD count towards your ECL.
No, you do not get to trade them out for class levels.

Example:
An ECL 5 Human Fighter with inflicted Werewolfism would have 2 wolf racial HD, 1 Fighter class level, & +2LA
HD: 3 (2+1)
ECL: 5 (3 HD+2 LA)

KillianHawkeye
2017-01-30, 12:48 PM
Possibly Multiheaded, which is the only 2 RHD-adding template I can think of offhand.

Broodspawn and Beast of Xvim also do this, but with 3 and 1 RHD respectively. Beast of Xvim also lets you gain RHD by eating people.

I guess there were a few I didn't know about.... :smallsigh:

TheDisjointed
2017-01-31, 05:50 PM
The idea was to have a multiheaded gunslinger for a steampunk 3.5 game. (with added arms for more fun. Aberrant limbs, DMG II) With that in mind, I was wondering if the +2RHD from Multiheaded could be used as a "slot" for the +2 LA from the Aberrant limbs template. Seeing as it should in theory raise my ECL it might be possible although that sounds like one for the DM.

Thanks for the input guys!

John Longarrow
2017-01-31, 05:52 PM
You get 2 HD.
You get 2 ECL.
You'd have one level left for a class level.

TheDisjointed
2017-01-31, 05:53 PM
I had a feeling that would be the case.

OldTrees1
2017-01-31, 05:55 PM
The idea was to have a multiheaded gunslinger for a steampunk 3.5 game. (with added arms for more fun. Aberrant limbs, DMG II) With that in mind, I was wondering if the +2RHD from Multiheaded could be used as a "slot" for the +2 LA from the Aberrant limbs template. Seeing as it should in theory raise my ECL it might be possible although that sounds like one for the DM.

Thanks for the input guys!

I am not sure you understand LA and ECL. The +2RHD are not a "slot".

If you have a template that grants +2 RHD and +2 LA (multiheaded from savage species) and you have a template that grants +2 LA, then you start with 6 fewer class levels than the other PCs.

For example: If the DM is starting the campaign at ECL 8
A Human Fighter 8 is ECL 8
A Multiheaded Aberrant limbs Human Fighter 2 is ECL 8
So you would be choosing between having those 2 templates vs having those class levels.

TheDisjointed
2017-01-31, 05:57 PM
Yeah. That's why I asked. Thanks for the input.

OldTrees1
2017-01-31, 05:59 PM
Yeah. That's why I asked. Thanks for the input.

Glad I could help.

As an addendum, lots of templates are poorly priced. You might want your DM to review the templates in question and see if they deserve a lower LA/RHD price.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-31, 06:12 PM
You get 2 HD.
You get 2 ECL.
You'd have one level left for a class level.
A two-headed human has 3 racial HD, because the two extra HD are added on top of the "virtual" HD humans would lose when gaining their first class level. Said HD isn't lost because now there are 3 of them instead of just 1.

For example: If the DM is starting the campaign at ECL 8
A Human Fighter 8 is ECL 8
A Multiheaded Aberrant limbs Human Fighter 2 is ECL 8
So you would be choosing between having those 2 templates vs having those class levels.

If the campaign starts at ECL 8, then a multi-headed aberrant limbs human can only have a single class level: it has 3 racial HD (1+2 extra from the multi-headed template), +2 LA from the multi-headed template and then another +2 LA for aberrant limbs (with which I'm not familiar, but I'll take it has +2 LA). At ECL 8, said character will have 4 HD (3 racial, 1 from the class level).

@OP: if you plan to create a two-headed aberrant limbs human, you'll have seven less class levels to work with.