PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make a divine rager?

Rfkannen
2017-01-28, 11:11 AM
Starting a new campaign and I have a character idea, but im not sure how to implement it.

The character is a a holy berserker, clad in priests robes and wielding a 2 handed weapon, going into to holy rages and smiting the enemies of good. Out of combat protecting the innocent would be his thing, so some healing ability would be good.

So what im thinking is 1 level barbarian (for rage and unarmered defense) and 2 for paladin (to be able to smite the unholy, and have some basic healing ability). But im not sure where to go beyond that and what order to do it.

Also not sure on race, feats, or god.

we are using point buy

unearthed arcana is not allowed (so no zealot)

Campaign would go from level 1 to 10 (possibly up to 15).

Gignere
2017-01-28, 11:23 AM
Using point buy will make this almost impossible to make. You are so MAD. You need strength, con, dex and charisma. Maybe half-elf can work but damn this will be hard.

Maybe paladin 7 and bearbarian 3. Damn this is hard to optimize.

Tanarii
2017-01-28, 11:34 AM
At least 2 of Barbarian. If you're in for 1, there's almost no reason not to go in for 2. Reckless Attack is both the bee's knees and totally tits. As well as being pretty thematic for what you're describing.

MBControl
2017-01-28, 11:45 AM
As a race, maybe look to the new Aasismar in Volo's Guide. You'll have a few cool options, and will absolutely fit the character.

I would skip the Barbarian, and go Dex Ranger, Paladin. If you specialize in 2 handed fighting, and use finesse weapons, you'll only need 13 STR to mc to Paladin, which you don't need for attacking.

Extra attacks, Dex bonus on both hands DMG rolls, Horde Breaker or Colossus Strike, Hunter's Marks, Smites, Lay on hands, and all the healing you need.

High Dex will up your ATKs, AC, Striking first with High Initiative.

As far as spell casting stats, focus on the Paladin, as most of your useful Ranger Spells, don't require saves.

You can have a true holy ranger at this point.

Yagyujubei
2017-01-28, 11:49 AM
also if i recall correctly you cant cast spells while raging so you might wanna check with your DM as to whether or not they consider smite casting a spell since it does use a spell slot.

as for the MADness of the build I think forgetting about CHA and just avoiding spells that are save or suck spells would be fine...as for a 10 level build I'd say

Barb 3: Totem > Bear for the dmg resistance
Pally 7: Great weapon fighting style, oath of vengeance

there are a couple problems with this, the level mapping is a little wonky, because obviously you want extra attack asap, so maybe barb 1>pally 5>barb 2>pally 2 or barb1>pally7>barb2.
second, even without worrying about CHA it's still quite MAD since you're gonna want three stats at 18 and you're only gonna get 1 ASI/feat. If you play to level 12 though you can get those two ASI's right then which would help.
last, as i mentioned above you cant cast spells while raging, or maintain concentration which sucks because many of Paladins best spells are concentration, and you may not be able to smite depending on DM fiat, but saving the spells for healing out of battle might work fine.

Contrast
2017-01-28, 11:50 AM
I would say 2 levels of barbarian is probably as far as you want to go (advantage at will improves you crit chances and more crits = more fun for paladin).

I can't say its a good idea but its not a terrible idea :smalltongue: The main issue is that each level you take you're delaying your extra attack and feats. My inclination would be to wait until after you've picked up the extra attack for the second level of barb.

Edit - it occurs to me that going barb first gives you Con saves which is good for concentration but rage cancels concentration so...do you definately want to go barb first?

Gignere
2017-01-28, 11:54 AM
also if i recall correctly you cant cast spells while raging so you might wanna check with your DM as to whether or not they consider smite casting a spell since it does use a spell slot.

as for the MADness of the build I think forgetting about CHA and just avoiding spells that are save or suck spells would be fine...as for a 10 level build I'd say

Barb 3: Totem > Bear for the dmg resistance
Pally 7: Great weapon fighting style, oath of vengeance

there are a couple problems with this, the level mapping is a little wonky, because obviously you want extra attack asap, so maybe barb 1>pally 5>barb 2>pally 2 or barb1>pally7>barb2.
second, even without worrying about CHA it's still quite MAD since you're gonna want three stats at 18 and you're only gonna get 1 ASI/feat. If you play to level 12 though you can get those two ASI's right then which would help.
last, as i mentioned above you cant cast spells while raging, or maintain concentration which sucks because many of Paladins best spells are concentration, and you may not be able to smite depending on DM fiat, but saving the spells for healing out of battle might work fine.

You can't ignore charisma because multi in and out of paladin requires 13 CHA.

Yagyujubei
2017-01-28, 12:08 PM
You can't ignore charisma because multi in and out of paladin requires 13 CHA.

yeah you would need either really good rolls or to dump int and wis completely and even then your stats wouldn't be great. you could get around this by wearing medium armor though and focusing on just STR and DEX. you could probably use standard array and get away with 16,14,14,10,8,13 in tht situation and do....ok?

OR you can just ask your DM to hook a brother up and leet you MC without requiring the 13 in CHA since even without that hurdle the build isnt particularly strong of game breaking. personally when i DM I'm inclined to let people bend the rules if they arent doing it with thee intention to break the game or min max

Uzgul
2017-01-28, 12:11 PM
If you are allowed to use Unearthed arcana, you should have a look at the "path of the zealot". It's a divine barbarian and does the fluff pretty well.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf

Aasamir might also be a good race for this. They offer a tiny bit of healing and (depending on subrace), an area damage and/or a smite like ability. They aren't optimal for a barbarian because of their stat boosts, but fit the theme pretty well.

If you want a less angelic race, you can go for variant human and pick the healer feat. Refluff it as something divine and you got that aspect covered.

Yagyujubei
2017-01-28, 12:33 PM
If you are allowed to use Unearthed arcana, you should have a look at the "path of the zealot". It's a divine barbarian and does the fluff pretty well.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf

Aasamir might also be a good race for this. They offer a tiny bit of healing and (depending on subrace), an area damage and/or a smite like ability. They aren't optimal for a barbarian because of their stat boosts, but fit the theme pretty well.

If you want a less angelic race, you can go for variant human and pick the healer feat. Refluff it as something divine and you got that aspect covered.

consider read the top post perhaps?

Uzgul
2017-01-28, 12:59 PM
consider read the top post perhaps?
I checked the top post for ua before posting...twice. I guess I am blind today...

ChubbyRain
2017-01-28, 12:59 PM
Starting a new campaign and I have a character idea, but im not sure how to implement it.

The character is a a holy berserker, clad in priests robes and wielding a 2 handed weapon, going into to holy rages and smiting the enemies of good. Out of combat protecting the innocent would be his thing, so some healing ability would be good.

So what im thinking is 1 level barbarian (for rage and unarmered defense) and 2 for paladin (to be able to smite the unholy, and have some basic healing ability). But im not sure where to go beyond that and what order to do it.

Also not sure on race, feats, or god.

we are using point buy

unearthed arcana is not allowed (so no zealot)

Campaign would go from level 1 to 10 (possibly up to 15).

So, I'm not a fan of the Frenzy Beserker barbarian BUT there is one time it works quite well.

When you MC Cleric.

Especially life cleric as you get lesser restoration and spiritual weapon for free.

Neat side note, spiritual weapon isn't concentration, neat right?

Plus these two classes cant be more opposite of each other.

Your Wis will probably be a 14 until level 6 (if you feel like boosting it to 16) but clerics can work just fine with a 10 in their main spellcasting stat.

Your AC won't be the best (medium armor) but you can heal yourself as an action or bonus action. You will also dish out some damage.

Barbarian 2/Cleric 8 would be my "10 level" build. Feel free to add in a level of barbarian to gain frenzy if you want that much barbarian.

You don't need to boost any score past 16 until like level 12 ish... Especially when you have advantage on attacks.

Instead of boosting Wis when you get a feat, or if you start off as V Human... I would look at the Charger feat.

The Charger feat works for anyone who doesn't get extra attack and doesn't have a lot to use their bonus action for (this build can have BA spells but nothing offensive that you want to rely on).

Your typical basic attack while raging like a pinball...

2d6 + 3 (STR) + 2 (rage) + 5 (charger) + 1d8 (divine strike... Weird that life cleric gets this)

The reason I would do this over Bar/Paladin is because its fun to put two things together that doesn't fit and blow expectations away. Instead of charger you could go Polearm master and get a BA 1d4+Str attack.

Plus you essentially get to play the Hulk. Whereas with the Paladin, well, they aren't known for being nice you know. Good... Yes... But not very mild mannered.

Spectre9000
2017-01-28, 01:40 PM
Don't know why everyone is saying no Barbearian 3. It effectively doubles his health, which is how this build is going to work.

The first problem is MADness. So we want a Divine Rager. I'm imagining self flagellation as a thing for this character. So, lets drop Dex. You don't want to wear armor... ok, so with Unarmored Defense, you're doing 10+0 (Dex) + Con. So, with point buy, you can do 15 Str, 10 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 14 Cha, then go Half-Elf. This will give you 16 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 16 Cha. Your AC will be 13, which is really low, but remember self flagellating can be your RP, and you want to focus on absorbing hits. So, you'll want to take Tough for an extra +2 HP per level. Afterwards, you'll want to max Con, and get Str to 18, which will take the remainder of your ASI. I'm imagining Paladin 6/ Barbarian 12/Fighter 2, giving you an average Health of 6*6(Pal)+12*7(Bar)+2*6(Fighter)+20*2(Tough)+20*5(C on)= 272 HP, which will effectively be 544 HP due to Bear Totem. With Fighter 2 you get a fighting style, another self heal, and Action Surge, and nothing says Rage like going into a Rage, and using Action Surge to keep on swinging. You'll end with 15 AC, but at this point you aren't reliant on AC for tanking.

Leveling will probably be Barbarian to 5, then Paladin to 6, then fighter 2, then Barbarian the rest.

Spectre9000
2017-01-28, 01:47 PM
So, I'm not a fan of the Frenzy Beserker barbarian BUT there is one time it works quite well.

When you MC Cleric.

Especially life cleric as you get lesser restoration and spiritual weapon for free.

Neat side note, spiritual weapon isn't concentration, neat right?

Plus these two classes cant be more opposite of each other.

Your Wis will probably be a 14 until level 6 (if you feel like boosting it to 16) but clerics can work just fine with a 10 in their main spellcasting stat.

Your AC won't be the best (medium armor) but you can heal yourself as an action or bonus action. You will also dish out some damage.

Barbarian 2/Cleric 8 would be my "10 level" build. Feel free to add in a level of barbarian to gain frenzy if you want that much barbarian.

You don't need to boost any score past 16 until like level 12 ish... Especially when you have advantage on attacks.

Instead of boosting Wis when you get a feat, or if you start off as V Human... I would look at the Charger feat.

The Charger feat works for anyone who doesn't get extra attack and doesn't have a lot to use their bonus action for (this build can have BA spells but nothing offensive that you want to rely on).

Your typical basic attack while raging like a pinball...

2d6 + 3 (STR) + 2 (rage) + 5 (charger) + 1d8 (divine strike... Weird that life cleric gets this)

The reason I would do this over Bar/Paladin is because its fun to put two things together that doesn't fit and blow expectations away. Instead of charger you could go Polearm master and get a BA 1d4+Str attack.

Plus you essentially get to play the Hulk. Whereas with the Paladin, well, they aren't known for being nice you know. Good... Yes... But not very mild mannered.

He doesn't want armor. Also, you're splitting your offensive attacking stat with using spiritual weapon as it requires wisdom, and his main attacks require strength. Charger requires you opening yourself to opportunity attacks to keep it working effectively, which makes it a largely wasted feat (outside the initial opening round).

X3r4ph
2017-01-28, 01:47 PM
I would simply make a Vengeance Paladin and refluff Oath of Enmity as Holy Rage. Grab the Outlander background and your are ready to kill and forage.
But yeah. Unarmored Defense helps.

Biggstick
2017-01-28, 01:55 PM
As a race, maybe look to the new Aasismar in Volo's Guide. You'll have a few cool options, and will absolutely fit the character.

I would skip the Barbarian, and go Dex Ranger, Paladin. If you specialize in 2 handed fighting, and use finesse weapons, you'll only need 13 STR to mc to Paladin, which you don't need for attacking.

Extra attacks, Dex bonus on both hands DMG rolls, Horde Breaker or Colossus Strike, Hunter's Marks, Smites, Lay on hands, and all the healing you need.

High Dex will up your ATKs, AC, Striking first with High Initiative.

As far as spell casting stats, focus on the Paladin, as most of your useful Ranger Spells, don't require saves.

You can have a true holy ranger at this point.

Way to suggest something that totally isn't what the OP suggested. And also something that is even more MAD then what the OP is trying to do in the first place (The multiclass you've suggested requires 13 Str, 13 Dex, 13 Wis, and 13 Cha minimum, and that doesn't even include the fact that you're still going to want Con to do this 2 weapon fighting you've suggested...). Two handed weapons are going to require that this PC be a Strength based PC, not Dex. Not only are those requirements tough to deal with, it doesn't capture what the OP is trying to do in utilizing a two handed weapon.

As for the OP's question, why not just go full Totem or Berserker with the Acolyte background? You can easily just play the Barbarian as someone who's just as religious as a Paladin or Cleric. The Acolyte background helps here. I would ask the DM to change out Insight from Acolyte for Medicine. I'd also ask if I could buy a Healer's Kit with my initial 15g from the Acolyte background. As a feat to really complete this, you could look to the Healer feat. The Healer feat will be useful/simulate the healing and helping of the local populace, and you'll still be a full progression Barbarian. Lastly, I'd probably go Human variant just to grab the Healer feat straight off from the start.

TLDR; Go full Barbarian, Totem or Berserker. Roleplay your divine strength through the Acolyte background, your skill in Medicine, and Healing kits. Start Human variant for the Healer feat.

Drackolus
2017-01-28, 02:06 PM
Vengeance seems like the clear choice here, thematically and mechanically. Sort of redundant with reckless attack, but it lets you NOT do that, so that's something. I like frenzy for this. More attacks is pretty swell. I kind of like wolf totem more than bear, but I wouldn't say it's strictly better.
You will probably be better off forgetting about being unarmored AND paladin. Too many stats.

Deleted
2017-01-28, 02:10 PM
Don't know why everyone is saying no Barbearian 3. It effectively doubles his health, which is how this build is going to work.

The first problem is MADness. So we want a Divine Rager. I'm imagining self flagellation as a thing for this character. So, lets drop Dex. You don't want to wear armor... ok, so with Unarmored Defense, you're doing 10+0 (Dex) + Con. So, with point buy, you can do 15 Str, 10 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 14 Cha, then go Half-Elf. This will give you 16 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 16 Cha. Your AC will be 13, which is really low, but remember self flagellating can be your RP, and you want to focus on absorbing hits. So, you'll want to take Tough for an extra +2 HP per level. Afterwards, you'll want to max Con, and get Str to 18, which will take the remainder of your ASI. I'm imagining Paladin 6/ Barbarian 12/Fighter 2, giving you an average Health of 6*6(Pal)+12*7(Bar)+2*6(Fighter)+20*2(Tough)+20*5(C on)= 272 HP, which will effectively be 544 HP due to Bear Totem. With Fighter 2 you get a fighting style, another self heal, and Action Surge, and nothing says Rage like going into a Rage, and using Action Surge to keep on swinging. You'll end with 15 AC, but at this point you aren't reliant on AC for tanking.

Leveling will probably be Barbarian to 5, then Paladin to 6, then fighter 2, then Barbarian the rest.

Bear Totem Barbarian is overrated. First off, most things will be doing BPS damage, you already resist that due to rage.

Having access to good healing takes the place of needing bear totem. After battle you heal up quite nicely.

Killing things is the best way to defend against HP damage, Bear Totem doesn't help you kill anything faster.

If you are going Barbarian 3, Wolf Totem is the best way to get things dead the fastest (frenzy is there but I would take Polearm Master)

Zene
2017-01-28, 02:21 PM
I'd like to humbly submit the idea of a Monk.

Use a big, iron-clad staff two-handed as your weapon (with a big iron icon of your god on the main striking end).
Play him as a holy berserker, with the "rage" being fluff -- you don't actually need the rage mechanic to go crazy in battle.
All of the Monk class features go great with the idea of a holy warrior priest. Just dump all the zen RP for berserker RP.
For Monk subclasses, you can go Way of the Long Death for a creepy priest feel, Sun Soul for a "wrath of god" feel complete with smiting blasts, or Open Hand to just be more of a furious wrecking ball in combat.
If you wish, add Magic Initiate: Cleric, or 1 or more Cleric levels, for as much of the "priest" feel and mechanics as you wish.

I think it would all roll together really well. Hmm, I think this is the first Monk concept I actually find interesting...

Spectre9000
2017-01-28, 02:31 PM
Here's another build: Barbearian 15/ Valor Bard 5 or Barbearian 12/ Lore Bard 8. I'd recommend leveling with Barbearian 5/Valor Bard 5/ Barbearian 10 or Barbearian 5/Lore Bard 2/Barbearian 7/ Lore Bard 6. Your Song of Rest could be a Sermon, your Cutting Words could be words of Damnation, and your Bardic Inspiration could be Battle Hymns or readings from scripture. For point buy: 15 Str, 12 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 13 Cha. Take Variant Human (Resilient (Con if Bard start, Dex if Barbearian start)) for 16 Str, 13 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, Cha 13, and an AC of 14. For your first ASI, choose +2 Con, for more health and an AC of 15. Eventually maxing Con, you have an AC of 16, and then you increase your Strength to 18, and then focus on Dex to have an AC of 17/18 depending on which build you went.

However, a much simpler build is Barbearian 16/ Life Cleric 4. For Point Buy go: 15 Str, 12 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha, and choose Variant Human (Tough) for 16 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha and an AC of 14. Level Barbearian 5/Life Cleric 4/Barbearian 12. Your ASI will be used to max Con, then get Strength to 18, then push Dex to 16 giving you an AC of 18 and final stats of 18 Str, 16 Dex, 20 Con, 8 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha. Your HP will be very high (effectively doubled with Bear Totem), you AC will be good, you'll have out of combat religious spells, and you'll do good damage.