PDA

View Full Version : Scarily Close Moments

Kileonhardt
2017-01-28, 12:25 PM
Had a super close near RIP last night so I figured we could all share some very scary near death moments.

So last night upon entering a dungeon my Favored Soul Sorc cast Death Ward on himself, standard operating procedure for me. Little did I know we were going to run into a beholder, and that I would fail my dex save for disintegration ray, and get left at 3hp. This would have been the second character I lost to disintegrate in this campaign had the DM not rolled poorly for the damage.

MrStabby
2017-01-28, 04:22 PM
We had a fight inside an efreeti forge with lots of elementals and Azers and salamanders after we were dragged through by a gate spell.

It was a pretty tough ambush anyway but the environment was hostile.

Filled with smoke and ash and an intense heat we had a problem. The smoke was a permanent stinking cloud effect (dc12), as well as obstructing visibility. The heat was doing a paltry d4 damage per turn, halved on a successful con save.

First the paladin went down to an unlucky crit. Cleric (me) was next in initiative order, has slots to heal with, was right next to the paladin. The cleric just passed their con save to be able to take their action - then realised they had mistakenly added the bonus from the paladin's aura and announced a fail. Rogue did solid damage, mage however lost concentration on their wall of force from taking a single point of fire damage form the environment. Bard managed to replace the wall of force, but not before a few salamanders had slipped through. Back to the paladin - a failed death save and another point of damage put him one death save from death.

Long story short - it was nearly a TPK. I couldn't pass the con saves needed to take actions regularly enough to keep the party on it's feet. Anyone who went down started to fail death saves from the environmental fire damage. We couldn't see what was coming due to the smoke and it was all going wrong.

Finally I got to take a second action - pulled of a divine intervention to get out out of there. One corpse, one guy with one death save left to make before death, one guy on 6 HP and grappled by a fire elemental, and myself on about 19 hp.

King539
2017-01-28, 04:34 PM
One time, my nearly unhittable paladin/sorcerer was nearly eaten by a remorhaz. It bit him and nearly swallowed him. HE was hasted, and so had two attempts per turn to escape. First turn? 1 and a 2. Second turn? The party was beating it up pretty bad, so I decided to try to finish it off by stabbing it through the roof of its mouth. Natural 1. I then tried to escape, and rolled another Natural 1. I didn't use that die for the rest of the session.

Cespenar
2017-01-28, 04:42 PM
Legacy of the Crystal Shard, tackling the boss fight with only 3 people.

After a while, the boss throws an ice lance or something at my character (a Bard), and he goes down. The other two are cutting it close with the boss, and a round's inaction could spell TPK.

Round 1, death save failure. they finish off the boss.

Round 2, death save failure, they move towards me but there's still distance.

Round 3, we all look at each other, I go "that's it fellas", and roll. Failure. We stare at each other, like what has happened. Then I remember that I had an usage of "Lucky" left. The DM acknowledges the drama and accepts the roll.

Another failure. We slump in our chairs a bit, I look at my character sheet and jokingly imitate ripping it in half... when I see the thing.

I half-yell: "INSPIRATION!" and look at the DM. He just grins at this point, and I roll...

A 19. We all sigh a collective sigh, and my teammate finally heals me.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-28, 05:50 PM
Legacy of the Crystal Shard, tackling the boss fight with only 3 people.

After a while, the boss throws an ice lance or something at my character (a Bard), and he goes down. The other two are cutting it close with the boss, and a round's inaction could spell TPK.

Round 1, death save failure. they finish off the boss.

Round 2, death save failure, they move towards me but there's still distance.

Round 3, we all look at each other, I go "that's it fellas", and roll. Failure. We stare at each other, like what has happened. Then I remember that I had an usage of "Lucky" left. The DM acknowledges the drama and accepts the roll.

Another failure. We slump in our chairs a bit, I look at my character sheet and jokingly imitate ripping it in half... when I see the thing.

I half-yell: "INSPIRATION!" and look at the DM. He just grins at this point, and I roll...

A 19. We all sigh a collective sigh, and my teammate finally heals me.

Now that's a close call.

Cespenar
2017-01-30, 06:37 AM
Now that's a close call.

Indeed it was. Ironically, my Bard rescued our Fighter 3 times in a fight from 0 hp simply by the awesome might of Healing Word.

Funnily, we just missed a TPK in the same campaign one session before this, by our Sorcerer casting Magic Missile on a magical mirror. Turns out casting different spell schools on the mirror yields different side effects, and for Evocation it was an 8d6 explosion. Cue me trying to persuade the DM that my Bard was indeed away from the mirror, studying some diary in the next room.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-30, 10:55 AM
Twice our halforc paladin's racial ability saved us from bbeg tpks.

She came back with 1 HP to land the killing blow on an evil cultist npc after 5 months of questing, then again later the next month to finish off the BBEG's evil ancient shadow dragon god.

Nail biting, but man... I'll never judge someone for non optimal racial decisions.

Fishyninja
2017-01-30, 01:30 PM
Had one last night which was bum squeakingly close!

Our party all level 3.
Ranger - Hunter
Monk - Way of the Long Death
Warlock - Unsure
Bard - Unsure

Clearing a Goblin infested castle, our party has managed to sneak trhough most of the castle until we come across a room full of Goblins (I think the total kill count for this room was 15 or 16. Our Bard (changeling) disguised as a goblin and has decided that sneaking around is no longer the best course of action is to try and take out as many of them as possible. wanders into the room and casts Shatter, instantly taking 8 of them out. However the roll was so good, the DM decided that the sheer force and noise of tables, pots, pans, goblins etc. alerts the entire castle to our presence. So we clear the room of Goblins and we are being sieged by Hobgoblins. No biggy we are slowy exchanging arrows/darts and blows etc. Unbeknowns to us....also in the castle was a Bugbear and 2 Gricks that wanted to join the party....needless to say they rushed the room and we got severely beat up. Only from a few lucky damage rolls on our part did we survive. By the end of it the ranger and warlock were down the Barf was on 2hp and I (Monk) was on 3 HP. I think the final kill count was 15-16 Goblins, 8 Hobgoblins, 2 Gricks and a Bugbear.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-30, 01:56 PM
Had one last night which was bum squeakingly close!

Our party all level 3.
Ranger - Hunter
Monk - Way of the Long Death
Warlock - Unsure
Bard - Unsure

Clearing a Goblin infested castle, our party has managed to sneak trhough most of the castle until we come across a room full of Goblins (I think the total kill count for this room was 15 or 16. Our Bard (changeling) disguised as a goblin and has decided that sneaking around is no longer the best course of action is to try and take out as many of them as possible. wanders into the room and casts Shatter, instantly taking 8 of them out. However the roll was so good, the DM decided that the sheer force and noise of tables, pots, pans, goblins etc. alerts the entire castle to our presence. So we clear the room of Goblins and we are being sieged by Hobgoblins. No biggy we are slowy exchanging arrows/darts and blows etc. Unbeknowns to us....also in the castle was a Bugbear and 2 Gricks that wanted to join the party....needless to say they rushed the room and we got severely beat up. Only from a few lucky damage rolls on our part did we survive. By the end of it the ranger and warlock were down the Barf was on 2hp and I (Monk) was on 3 HP. I think the final kill count was 15-16 Goblins, 8 Hobgoblins, 2 Gricks and a Bugbear.

Now that sounds like a fun time. I wish my current campaign had more moments like that instead of it just being me constantly dying. I'm on my fifth character in in the last five months (with seven of those weeks being breaks for holiday and such), while the rest of my party has only had a single character death between them in that time :smallbiggrin:

Fishyninja
2017-01-30, 02:31 PM
Now that sounds like a fun time. I wish my current campaign had more moments like that instead of it just being me constantly dying. I'm on my fifth character in in the last five months (with seven of those weeks being breaks for holiday and such), while the rest of my party has only had a single character death between them in that time :smallbiggrin:

Few questions:
Character Build?
Were they unlucky/lucky roles?
Does your DM like you :smalltongue:

Kileonhardt
2017-01-30, 03:47 PM
Few questions:
Character Build?
Were they unlucky/lucky roles?
Does your DM like you :smalltongue:

My Druid died to a failed save on a disintegrate that did 4 more damage than I had HP, my SorLock died to a nat 1 on death saves against a dragon that made a beeline for me since I was farther away than the rest of the team and lit him up with scorching rays, Blood Hunter died to some cultists, Sorcadin went toe to toe with a BBEG sorcerer and narrowly lost while the rest of the party was dealing with getting through underlings to reach the top of the tower where that fight was going on.

DM is fine with me and every death really just came down to bad luck of failed saves against randomly targeted spells or death saves.

And current character that nearly got disintegrated is a level 11 Favored Soul Sorc.

I'm starting to think I need to play something meatier to survive more encounters :smalltongue:

Fishyninja
2017-01-30, 03:53 PM
My Druid died to a failed save on a disintegrate that did 4 more damage than I had HP, my SorLock died to a nat 1 on death saves against a dragon that made a beeline for me since I was farther away than the rest of the team and lit him up with scorching rays, Blood Hunter died to some cultists, Sorcadin went toe to toe with a BBEG sorcerer and narrowly lost while the rest of the party was dealing with getting through underlings to reach the top of the tower where that fight was going on.

DM is fine with me and every death really just came down to bad luck of failed saves against randomly targeted spells or death saves.

And current character that nearly got disintegrated is a level 11 Favored Soul Sorc.

I'm starting to think I need to play something meatier to survive more encounters :smalltongue:

For Sorcs, ever considered Favoured Origin?? If your DM allows it.

Chosen of The Gods
At 1st level, you choose one of the cleric class’s divine domains. You add that domain’s spells for 1st-level clerics to your known spells. These spells do not count against the number of spells you can know, and they are considered to be sorcerer spells for you. When you reach 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels in the sorcerer class, you likewise learn your domain’s spells that become available at those levels.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields, and simple weapons.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Divine Wings
At 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of wings from your back (feathered or bat-like, your choice), gaining a flying speed equal to your current walking speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.

You can’t manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

Power of the Chosen
Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.

In the end, the capabilities of our Favored Soul sorcerer are quite close to those of the spontaneous-casting favored soul class from long ago!

Kileonhardt
2017-01-30, 04:00 PM
For Sorcs, ever considered Favoured Origin?? If your DM allows it.

Chosen of The Gods
At 1st level, you choose one of the cleric class’s divine domains. You add that domain’s spells for 1st-level clerics to your known spells. These spells do not count against the number of spells you can know, and they are considered to be sorcerer spells for you. When you reach 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels in the sorcerer class, you likewise learn your domain’s spells that become available at those levels.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, medium armor, shields, and simple weapons.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Divine Wings
At 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of wings from your back (feathered or bat-like, your choice), gaining a flying speed equal to your current walking speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.

You can’t manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

Power of the Chosen
Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.

In the end, the capabilities of our Favored Soul sorcerer are quite close to those of the spontaneous-casting favored soul class from long ago!

Yeah that's what my current character is.

RulesJD
2017-01-30, 04:14 PM
Recently released T3 AL Mod.

Bard
Paladin
Fighter
Myself (monk w/ Lucky feat)

One puzzle requires you to operate a series of valves to open a portcullis. To get to the valves, you have to walk over a pit of lava on a narrow beam. Trying to stop you are several flying demons who grapple you and throw you into the lava 60ft below. Walking across the beams requires a difficult Acrobatics check.

Bard is thrown into the lava and tries to Dimension Door out. Due to the magic of the tower we're in, he ends up in Waterdeep, so is de facto out of the fight. Paladin and Fighter get tossed into the lava with no way to get out (too far to Misty Step + Grappled underneath the lava by the aforementioned demons). Paladin goes down and is making death saves with an auto-fail each turn. Fighter's turn before my Monk's, he rolls a 1 on his first Death save, meaning auto-death next round.

1 last valve to turn to disable the lava and get free.

My monk wall runs to the other valve (that was on the underside of one of the beams for extra difficulty).

My 8 Str Monk has to make a DC 15 Athletics check to turn the valve, or next turn the Fighter and Paladin will be sheet dead.

Roll a 7. Party looks around. Two players know their year+ old characters are guaranteed sheet dead from lava on their next turn. One last use of Luck left.

Roll an 18.

Lava drains. A few Stunning Strikes and potions later, Paladin and Fighter back on their feet.

Fishyninja
2017-01-30, 04:57 PM
Yeah that's what my current character is.
If you stated that previously my apologies.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-30, 05:01 PM
Recently released T3 AL Mod.

Bard
Paladin
Fighter
Myself (monk w/ Lucky feat)

One puzzle requires you to operate a series of valves to open a portcullis. To get to the valves, you have to walk over a pit of lava on a narrow beam. Trying to stop you are several flying demons who grapple you and throw you into the lava 60ft below. Walking across the beams requires a difficult Acrobatics check.

Bard is thrown into the lava and tries to Dimension Door out. Due to the magic of the tower we're in, he ends up in Waterdeep, so is de facto out of the fight. Paladin and Fighter get tossed into the lava with no way to get out (too far to Misty Step + Grappled underneath the lava by the aforementioned demons). Paladin goes down and is making death saves with an auto-fail each turn. Fighter's turn before my Monk's, he rolls a 1 on his first Death save, meaning auto-death next round.

1 last valve to turn to disable the lava and get free.

My monk wall runs to the other valve (that was on the underside of one of the beams for extra difficulty).

My 8 Str Monk has to make a DC 15 Athletics check to turn the valve, or next turn the Fighter and Paladin will be sheet dead.

Roll a 7. Party looks around. Two players know their year+ old characters are guaranteed sheet dead from lava on their next turn. One last use of Luck left.

Roll an 18.

Lava drains. A few Stunning Strikes and potions later, Paladin and Fighter back on their feet.

This might be the first time I've seen of monk wall run actually saving the party. Great moment!