PDA

View Full Version : New player help: making a party buffer undead cohort

Aurosman
2017-01-28, 01:00 PM
So, I am a new player to D&D on my very first campaign, playing as a Dread Necromancer. I am playing as a minionmancer(going quality over quantity) and just hit level 6 and thought about getting the undead leadership feat to get a buffer for my party and undead.

My party consists of me (a necropolitan), a paladin, a angel deva, and a crafter(can't remember his actual class). And yes we have had very intersting dialogs cause of me being a necromancer. But I am neutral, not evil so we get along, for the most part

So I was look in into either a bard or cleric. But can't really decide what would be better for buffing the entire party and some healing if needed.

Not doing prestige classes right now so just going basic bard or cleric, probably will do some when I get the hang of this game a bit more.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-28, 01:24 PM
If you're looking to get as many buffs as you can, Archivist (Heroes of Horros) is definitely your best bet as it can learny any divine spell from any list. This also grants him various healing spell. However, as far as healing goes, consider making everyone in the party buying at least a healing belt if you have access to Magic Item Compendium. At 750 gp, it's practically a godsend.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-28, 02:39 PM
So, I am a new player to D&D

Not doing prestige classes right now so just going basic bard or cleric, probably will do some when I get the hang of this game a bit more.

I recommend Cleric in that case. Bards require more investment to get more out of. With the Cleric, you can almost close your eyes, throw darts, and it'll come out alright. Plus they progress casting faster, so you'll have more buffs up sooner.

If you're looking to get as many buffs as you can, Archivist (Heroes of Horros) is definitely your best bet as it can learny any divine spell from any list. This also grants him various healing spell. However, as far as healing goes, consider making everyone in the party buying at least a healing belt if you have access to Magic Item Compendium. At 750 gp, it's practically a godsend.

All of this. Wands of Cure Light Wounds or Lesser Vigor are also great.

OldTrees1
2017-01-28, 02:52 PM
For your cohort I would suggest a Bard. Bards can easily fade into the background so as to not draw attention away from the PCs but will also add a substantial bonus to your undead & allies.

Plus:
http://i4.tinypic.com/10ognbs.jpg

Uncle Pine
2017-01-28, 03:14 PM
Remember that bardic music doesn't affect undead monsters or characters, unless you take the Requiem feat.

Requiem [General]

Your bardic music affects undead creatures.
Prerequisite: Perform (any) 8 ranks, Bardic music class feature
Benefit: You can extend the effects of your mind-affecting bardic music and virtuoso's performance abilities so that they influence even the undead. All bardic music effects on undead creatures have only half the duration they normally would against the living.
Normal: Undead are usually immune to mind-influencing effects.

Aurosman
2017-01-28, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the info! Archivist looks pretty good for what I wanna do. But from what I read its dark knowledge only lasts for 1 minute. Am I missing something about that?