PDA

View Full Version : Multi-headed template for PC

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-01-28, 01:52 PM
Greetings everyone, I'm trying find some options to mayhaps be able to get more than 1 spell off per round without using swift, immediate actions, quicken or sudden quicken, spells casted previous turns that go off just before my turn, classes, prc, polymorph, etc.

The best I've come up with, simply being able to cast a 2nd spell per round is multi headed creatures but there is only a CR increase per head and not a lvl adj. That spellweaver monster, while not a template, I assume the reason it doesn't have lvl adj either is because they're f-huge. So any template that doesn't give you a level adj simply mean "no player, stop your bs, you cannot do that for obvious reasons"?

If I am able to do the template, can it be a base class w two heads? Like a human (as f-ed as that could be) and would each head have its own personality?

Also there's that goblin race that's been fused together, can they cast 2 spells? I heard that one of the brains simply degrades to the point where nerves only shoot to control body parts and that's it

Thank you!

Uncle Pine
2017-01-28, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure what you mean: the multi-headed template (Savage Species) clearly has a table to determine LA according to the number of extra heads (1=+2; 2-4=+3; 5-7=+4; etc.).

EDIT: A 1st level two-headed human, for example, would have an ECL of 6: 3 racial HD (1 base, plus 2 for the template), a +2 LA and its single class level. Note that even if you're playing a human, you can't replace the "normal" racial HD human gets because a two-headed human isn't a race with a single racial HD.

martixy
2017-01-28, 02:01 PM
Multi-headed DOES have an LA entry. At least the one in Savage Species does.

It's also a prerequisite for the "Multivoice" feat from the same book, which does more or less what you're looking for.

The fluff however is purely your domain(i.e. how many personalities, etc). Also, it's no more f-ed up than ettins.

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-01-28, 02:16 PM
Ok, thank you for the info and break in it down like that. I'm looking st this template on realmhelp.net which seems to be the same template as savage species. It's probably cus I get confused with ECL and CR and LA. No where on the template does it say "LA", it only states "add this much CR for each head".

On that note: what is the total ECL for a PC Ettin? Lvl1, Because the ettin's entry does say "level adjustment" which is +5, isn't this all different than "CR+5"? There are other templates that give you the level adj, as well as CR or simply just a level adj

torrasque666
2017-01-28, 02:18 PM
On that note: what is the total ECL for a PC Ettin? Lvl1, Because the ettin's entry does say "level adjustment" which is +5, isn't this all different than "CR+5"? There are other templates that give you the level adj, as well as CR or simply just a level adj

CR is for monsters, LA is for players. CR increases tend to focus on the short term (encounter length) effects of the template/monster while LA tends to focus on the long term (campaign length) effects.

EDIT: an Ettin PC would be ECL 15 (10 racial hit die, 5 level adjustment) before levels.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-28, 02:50 PM
Obligatory link to Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook), because everyone who wants to meddle with monster PCs should read it.

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-01-28, 04:55 PM
This is a great handbook, if anything this should be in the core manuals, sadly without that level adjustment in the template entry you can't use it as a PC

Uncle Pine
2017-01-28, 05:46 PM
Except the template does have a level adjustment table in the book. I don't know why realmshelp doesn't have it listed, but multi-headed races are definitely playable as PCs.

ShurikVch
2017-01-28, 06:12 PM
Greetings everyone, I'm trying find some options to mayhaps be able to get more than 1 spell off per round without using swift, immediate actions, quicken or sudden quicken, spells casted previous turns that go off just before my turn, classes, prc, polymorph, etc.

The best I've come up with, simply being able to cast a 2nd spell per round is multi headed creatures but there is only a CR increase per head and not a lvl adj. That spellweaver monster, while not a template, I assume the reason it doesn't have lvl adj either is because they're f-huge. So any template that doesn't give you a level adj simply mean "no player, stop your bs, you cannot do that for obvious reasons"?

If I am able to do the template, can it be a base class w two heads? Like a human (as f-ed as that could be) and would each head have its own personality?

Also there's that goblin race that's been fused together, can they cast 2 spells? I heard that one of the brains simply degrades to the point where nerves only shoot to control body parts and that's it

Thank you!I'm sorry, but neither Multiheaded Creature template, nor Dolgrim (fused goblins), Ettin, or even Two-headed Ogre Magi (from Warcraft the RPG) are unable to cast extra spells per round

Vestigial Twin (from Dungeon Master's Guide II) is actually able to cast spells (without somatic components), but LA: +5 (and was intended for NPCs)

The only other variants (AFAIK) are Synad's Multitask, which allow 1/day get purely mental swift action; and usage of monsters such as Choker or Chronotyryn