PDA

View Full Version : UA Revised Ranger multi class options

nvisibl
2017-01-28, 02:23 PM
Greetings, oh mighty GitP community, it's my first post (oh how exciting)!

So I've rediscovered D&D after nearly 2 decades off. I'm playing the early stages (almost level 4) of a 5e campaign. We've got a pretty small party, vengeance pally, moon druid, and me, the UA Revised Ranger. I'm a Wood elf, hunter subclass, archery fighting style. Everything past level 11 is pretty meh (I want volley at 11) and was gonna take the ASI at 12. So I was thinking rogue for a 12/8 split. We've also been working some with a thieves guild in Waterdeep so it fits in with our story too. We need a skill monkey, and I kind like the idea of cunning action to hide for easy SA. And of course uncanny dodge and evasion are great too.

I'm completely unsure of what rogue archetype to take. Assassin doesn't offer much since I already have advantage on creatures who haven't acted yet. Thief might come in handy with Fast Hands and Second Story Work, but somewhat situational. Arcane Trickster could be nice, extra spell slots (albeit low level) and cantrips, and mage hand legerdmain has it's uses. Master mind, swashbuckler, and the new scout I don't think really have much to offer me at all IMO.

So what's your thoughts? All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Foxhound438
2017-01-28, 03:28 PM
I'll start by saying you probably have the right idea with jumping out of ranger at 12

As far as rogue archetype goes, I feel that swashbuckler is generally the best, especially for an archer- if something's off on its own, there are in fact no creatures that aren't you within 5 feet of it, so you get free sneak attack.

However, theif is more or less a fine go-to, especially if you can get something to use the fast hands with.

If you're looking at possible other classes, battlemaster fighter also offers a lot, though extra attack is wasted the second time you get it.

Arkhios
2017-01-28, 05:39 PM
Actually, what you would get from Arcane Trickster in terms of spell slots, stacks with your current spellcasting progression (1/2 of ranger level + 1/3 of rogue level = 6 + 2 = 8; you'd get 2 x 4th level slots, which isn't a small deal!) in addition to learning a few 1st and 2nd level Wizard spells known (albeit with Int as their casting ability, when it matters anyway. You could grab maybe Find Familiar and/or Shield, and a few illusion spells, such as Mirror Image, which doesn't care about your intelligence).

nvisibl
2017-01-28, 07:14 PM
I didn't know that AT slots would actually stack with my level like that! That's awesome. 4th level slots would give access to the all powerful conjure woodland beings! That might actually seal the deal for me. I know it makes me a little more MAD but my DM is playing without feats (well he might hand them out as rewards or as part of downtime activities) so I can use all my ASIs to pump int (at 10 now) once my dex and wis are maxed.
I do like that swashbuckler gives "free" SA and immunity to AoO, but again I feel like that would be pretty situational. I looked at maybe doing BM fighter but thought SA damage heavily outweighs maneuvers.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Consulted the multiclassing spell slot table in the PHB. Totally makes sense now. Thanks again!

Foxhound438
2017-01-28, 09:52 PM
I didn't know that AT slots would actually stack with my level like that! That's awesome. 4th level slots would give access to the all powerful conjure woodland beings!

incorrect. multiclassed casters can only get spells that the class could get at the level you have it regardless of what your highest slot is. (in the multiclassing rules)

nvisibl
2017-01-28, 10:26 PM
Oh you're right, I didn't read that paragraph. Thanks for the clarification. Still being able to upcast spells up to the higher slots will be nice.

Thanks.

Foxhound438
2017-01-28, 11:27 PM
Oh you're right, I didn't read that paragraph. Thanks for the clarification. Still being able to upcast spells up to the higher slots will be nice.

Thanks.

yep. Plus you have a couple more slots overall, so you have more gas to keep going through the day.

Arkhios
2017-01-29, 02:34 AM
Actually, Eldritch Knight (fighter) could be a little better as it would give 3 Ability bumps instead of two during those 8 levels, and same benefits for spell slots.

You wouldn't get much in terms of skills even if you took rogue levels (though you would get one skill from rogue list and proficiency in thieves' tools, but skill and tool proficiencies can be learned as downtime activity as well). Full skill proficiencies from classes are only gained at yout first character level.

djreynolds
2017-01-29, 04:38 AM
Why not take both, AT and EK? You have the stats. Just grab stuff that does not require a save versus your intelligence. I could see 14 ranger, 3EK, 3AT or even 11 ranger/3 ek/3 at/ 3 cleric or druid

Arkhios
2017-01-29, 04:56 AM
Why not take both, AT and EK? You have the stats. Just grab stuff that does not require a save versus your intelligence. I could see 14 ranger, 3EK, 3AT or even 11 ranger/3 ek/3 at/ 3 cleric or druid

You do realise that taking 3 of each would mean no ASI from either? That the OP's DM isn't using Feats doesn't mean that he wouldn't want ASI's.