PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on PC's in OOTS

Ozzymindous
2007-07-20, 06:25 PM
My personal idea is that the PC's are
OOTS: Roy, V., Elan, Halie, Durken, Belkar
LG: Thog, Nale, Sabrina
Red cloak, Xykon

All of the above could be PC's... But what do you think?

Vuzzmop
2007-07-20, 06:27 PM
I don't think so. In general, D&D isn't a pvp game, so only the OOTS would be PCs. The others are just antagonist npcs.

RocketBard
2007-07-20, 06:27 PM
I think that the only PCs are the OotS.

Ozzymindous
2007-07-20, 06:33 PM
If thats the case why did Xykon say somthing like: Well how am I soppossed to rember that fire/lightning only affects ghost things 50% of the time.

Tharr
2007-07-20, 06:36 PM
That is humor you need knowledge checks.

terror_drone
2007-07-20, 07:02 PM
I could see it being several groups of PCs, in the past my RL gaming group has done similar things but never three different groups (or partial groups). However as OOTS is a comic the normal rules for what might be a PC could and are thrown out the window.

Kish
2007-07-20, 09:09 PM
If thats the case why did Xykon say somthing like: Well how am I soppossed to rember that fire/lightning only affects ghost things 50% of the time.
Because breaking the fourth wall isn't limited to the PCs (the Order). As well say that the displacer beasts must be PCs or they wouldn't know what a random encounter was.

The Extinguisher
2007-07-20, 09:29 PM
Only the Order are PCs (despite that they don't have players) because they are the main characters.

It only makes sense that a world that runs on D&D that the heroes that save the world would be 'player characters' even if no players are involved.

the mysterian
2007-07-20, 09:49 PM
that would make it interesting.

Ozzymindous
2007-07-21, 10:00 AM
I've played Villans in someone elses campain. I think it would be a good twist to have RC and Xykon if not the LG.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-21, 10:16 AM

Because even Dungeon Masters forget rules and special abilities of the NPCs from time to time. I've forgotton about bardic abilities when DMing a rogue/bard head of the thieve's guild, and the bonuses she provided to the rest of her troops. Whoops... Lost that battle with one group, won it with a second group.

:smallbiggrin:

Hushdawg
2007-07-21, 10:17 AM
I've played Villans in someone elses campain. I think it would be a good twist to have RC and Xykon if not the LG.

It has been made very clear in several instances, particularly the forwards of the books, that the only PCs in the campaign are OOTS.

RC is an NPC because he's said so himself.

Bear in mind that the book entitled On the Origin of PCs that it details the lives and starting points of the OOTS members. That's it, nobody else.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but all this means is that Rich is a hell of a DM to put as much thought into his NPC pro- and an- tagonists.

Grammar Nazi note: PCs is plural PC's is possessive. Just because something is an acronym or abbreviation does not change the rules entirely.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-21, 01:07 PM
In the preface of On the Origin of PC's,

Redcloak states about 100 times that he's an npc. Who knows, maybe Xykon is a PC.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-21, 01:33 PM
In the preface of On the Origin of PC's,

Redcloak states about 100 times that he's an npc. Who knows, maybe Xykon is a PC.

Redcloak may be a Cohort. Remember that in the Bandit camp, Haley critised someone for just being a cohort.

The Linear Guild may be PCs.

The distinction between PCs and NPCs isn't so important however since there are no actual players..

Hushdawg
2007-07-21, 02:16 PM
The distinction between PCs and NPCs isn't so important however since there are no actual players..

How do you know that Rich isn't basing these characters off an old campaign setting and that the personalities et cetera were spawned from players at some point and time?

NerfTW
2007-07-21, 06:10 PM
Even if he did, I seriously doubt he's sitting there saying "This character is played by a person."

It's all there for humor. At some point you have to stop applying the rules and realize that it's a comic, not an actual tabletop game.

Even if any other characters were PC's, what difference would it make? They'd have to go beyond breaking the fourth wall to acknowledge the fact.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-21, 06:32 PM
How do you know that Rich isn't basing these characters off an old campaign setting and that the personalities et cetera were spawned from players at some point and time?

He's already claimed that they weren't, though he did admit to once playing a chaotic evil halfling ranger.

Ariko
2007-07-22, 04:47 AM
Specifically, he said the OoTS were based on general trends/stereotypes of players, but not any any real players

RAGE KING!
2007-07-22, 08:09 AM
do you mean player character or player class?

The OOTS would be player characters if this was a campaign.
The half ogre, ogre with equipment, xykon, all his clerics, kazumi and daigo, all the azure city paladins, etc. would be player classes.

Nomadic
2007-07-22, 10:50 AM
do you mean player character or player class?

The OOTS would be player characters if this was a campaign.
The half ogre, ogre with equipment, xykon, all his clerics, kazumi and daigo, all the azure city paladins, etc. would be player classes.

The term PCs is generally in reference to Player Characters.

basilisk 89
2007-07-22, 11:45 AM
I'd call Hinjo a PC, if only because he got shot (erh, his phantom doppleganger mirage thing), and the hobbos put on the shirt, so it could be assumed he is/was a PC.

Nomadic
2007-07-22, 05:51 PM
I would consider Hinjo and the other lesser main characters to be DM played NPCs. They get more screen time than most NPCs but the only PCs in a DnD session are generally the main party.

Drider
2007-07-22, 07:05 PM
I'd call Hinjo a PC, if only because he got shot (erh, his phantom doppleganger mirage thing), and the hobbos put on the shirt, so it could be assumed he is/was a PC.

the 2 un-named(at the time) soldiers were there also, and they're not pcs. the oots was there, thats why they were putting on shirts