PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Holiday Special

8BitNinja
2017-01-28, 10:45 PM
Hello everyone, Let's talk about the best Star Wars movie in the entire franchise, and possibly the greatest movie ever made. I love this movie and I watch it three times a day. I need it like I need air.

Keep in mind, this thread is completely a joke. I'm pretty sure very few people like this movie. I'm just making fun of something not controversial this time.

2D8HP
2017-01-28, 11:21 PM
Despite how many times one saw Star Wars determining how "cool" one was in 5th grade back in 1977 (no way did Ben see it 15 times, where are the ticket stubs huh?!), I only saw the Christmas Special once when it first broadcast.

I remember that I found it dull, but little else beyond Chewbacca having a family.

An Enemy Spy
2017-01-28, 11:31 PM
How could anyone have thought that what a Star Wars Christmas show needed was an old wookie jacking off in the living room?

AdmiralCheez
2017-01-29, 01:39 AM
I have only seen it once, and I intend to keep it that way. I mean, it has a few interesting bits, but the majority of it is so dull and... ugh. I still can't believe I managed to watch the whole thing in one sitting.

factotum
2017-01-29, 03:11 AM
Now, if only the Holiday Special had been the *only* occasion where the world at large asked, "George, what were you *thinking*?"...

Siosilvar
2017-01-29, 03:16 AM
At least it has the Boba Fett cartoon in the middle. Unfortunately that's the closest thing to a redeeming factor I remember from it.

Kid Jake
2017-01-29, 03:38 AM
How could anyone have thought that what a Star Wars Christmas show needed was an old wookie jacking off in the living room?

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the addition of an elderly wookie beating off in the living room would have improved the Prequels.

Ebon_Drake
2017-01-29, 06:48 AM
For all its sins, it gave us that one awesome GIF of a wookiee saying "suck my ****" and for that I am truly thankful.

***Vaguely NWS*** (http://i.imgur.com/Xu9hgkR.gif)

Peelee
2017-01-29, 10:53 AM
wookie
Wookiee. 2 Es.

wookie
Wookiee. 2 Es.

wookiee
Good man.

Anyway. I think the bigger crime with the Wookiee segment was having such a huge amount of time on them having lengthy conversations with no subtitles.

An Enemy Spy
2017-01-29, 12:31 PM
Now, if only the Holiday Special had been the *only* occasion where the world at large asked, "George, what were you *thinking*?"...

George Lucas had almost nothing to do with the Holiday Special outside of giving permission for them to use his property. He wrote a short script which was abandoned when the network execs demanded it be a variety show, and then was too busy working on Empire Strikes Back to be involved with the making of the special.

Pex
2017-01-29, 01:57 PM
Rargh gargh ooargh mmm yeeagh eeoah. Aargh huuyah margh augagh. Rorgh!

8BitNinja
2017-01-29, 02:02 PM
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the addition of an elderly wookie beating off in the living room would have improved the Prequels.

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

Legato Endless
2017-01-29, 04:42 PM
The segment concerning the bar owner having to bid Farewell as her establishment closes for good isn't that bad actually. The actress manages a bit of real pathos despite being sandwiched between various unspeakably bad comedy bits.

dps
2017-01-29, 10:23 PM
There were too huge problems that meant that the special was doomed to be bad, no matter what other choices were made. First, the decision to make it a musical/variety show. Why? It makes no sense to do that. How could anyone have thought that it was a good idea.

Second, the afore-mentioned presence of long segments with unsubtitled conversations in Wookie. Again, how could anyone have thought it was a good idea?

Beyond that, the script and dialogue were weak, and for the most part the cast just phoned in their performances (though I do have to give the producers props for getting the main actors from the film to even show up). And the musical numbers weren't good, either. (The exception would be the one with the bar owner (Bea Arthur) closing up her bar. That was actually pretty decent, though it had almost nothing to do with the rest of the special.)

Peelee
2017-01-29, 11:37 PM
unsubtitled conversations in Wookie.
Shyriiwook, actually, is the name of their language.

Also, Wookiee. 2 Es.

Fri
2017-01-30, 01:53 AM
fun fact: they don't have enough budget for full-body wookiee costumes for everyone for the final scene. That's why everyone are robed, it's actually just non-costumed people in robes wearing commercial wookiee masks.

Cikomyr
2017-01-30, 10:38 AM
fun fact: they don't have enough budget for full-body wookie costumes for everyone for the final scene. That's why everyone are robed, it's actually just non-costumed people in robes wearing commercial wookie masks.

So its like a wookie amateur cosplay con?

Nerd-o-rama
2017-01-30, 12:03 PM
The segment concerning the bar owner having to bid Farewell as her establishment closes for good isn't that bad actually. The actress manages a bit of real pathos despite being sandwiched between various unspeakably bad comedy bits.

Bea Arthur never played a bad role in her life. Not even this monstrosity could slow her down. You can't really go wrong with Jefferson Starship either, even if their number had nothing to do with anything.

Also, 8BN, you could also consider making threads that are...how do I put this. More thought-out?

Peelee
2017-01-30, 12:30 PM

OK, now I'm starting to think y'all are doing this intentionally.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-30, 12:38 PM
(To the tune of 'C Is For Cookie')

There's two E's in 'Wookiee, this really bothers me
Two E's in 'Wookiee', this really bothers me
Wookiee, Wookiee, Wookiee, has two E's!!!!

Cikomyr
2017-01-30, 01:48 PM
OK, now I'm starting to think y'all are doing this intentionally.

At first, no.

But eventually, yes. Sorry, but it was so entertaining.

Notice that i removed the 2nd "e" of the post i quoted.

Peelee
2017-01-30, 02:27 PM
At first, no.

But eventually, yes. Sorry, but it was so entertaining.

Notice that i removed the 2nd "e" of the post i quoted.

I didn't even catch that. Well played!

(To the tune of 'C Is For Cookie')

There's two E's in 'Wookiee, this really bothers me
Wookiee, Wookiee, Wookiee, has two E's!!!!

You're my favorite.

8BitNinja
2017-01-30, 06:59 PM
fun fact: they don't have enough budget for full-body wookiee costumes for everyone for the final scene. That's why everyone are robed, it's actually just non-costumed people in robes wearing commercial wookiee masks.

The more you know.

Thanks for enlightening us today.

That's pretty much the entire movie

rachelallan
2017-02-03, 04:24 AM
Can i download original print in this website. If i can download than suggest me website

Celestia
2017-02-03, 08:29 AM
I don't even understand the thinking behind putting it on Planet Wookieee. Surely, they could have picked literally any other characters to center this on.

In all honesty, after watching it, I think the infamy of the Holiday Special is completely overblown. It, at worst, on the low end of mediocrity. There were numerous stupid things, but it was largely just boring. It's not the worst thing ever. Hell, it's not even the worst thing to come out of Star Wars. *cough*Mount Sorrow*cough*

Peelee
2017-02-03, 12:14 PM
Planet Wookieee

OK, that was kinda clever.

danzibr
2017-02-03, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah, that Wocky movie. I saw part of it once, liked the Boba Fett animated bit.

Nerd-o-rama
2017-02-05, 08:30 PM
I don't even understand the thinking behind putting it on Planet Wookieee. Surely, they could have picked literally any other characters to center this on.

In all honesty, after watching it, I think the infamy of the Holiday Special is completely overblown. It, at worst, on the low end of mediocrity. There were numerous stupid things, but it was largely just boring. It's not the worst thing ever. Hell, it's not even the worst thing to come out of Star Wars. *cough*Mount Sorrow*cough*

I think the fact that it was a boring, badly acted variety show actually makes it worse. How do you get from Star Wars to that?

Also I appreciate that this thread is pretty much just an excuse to troll Pele now.