PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Domain Cleric Subclass

FishBot
2017-01-29, 02:24 AM
This domain is designed to serve as a kind of shaman. These clerics don't serve a god but rather the spirits that surround us. I tried to add in abilities that evoked that theme.

Domain Spells
1st: Sanctuary, Unseen Servant
3rd: Augury, See Invisibility
5th: Revivify, Spirit Guardians
7th: Banishment, Death Ward
9th: Commune, Hallow

Meditation
At 1st level once per long rest when you finish a short rest you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your cleric level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Channel Divinity: Ethereal Projection
At 2nd level you can use your channel divinity to perform a 10 minute ritual you can separate your spirit from your body. Your body falls unconscious and your spirit enters the border ethereal plane for an hour. Your spirit shares the same stats and has the same abilities as your normal form. If your body takes damage your spirit takes damage and any other effects on your body also apply to your spirit and vice versa. After an hour passes, a creature use their action to wake you up, or you use a free action to awaken your spirit instantly returns to your body and you wake up.

Awakened
At 6th level you can cast any cleric spell with the ritual tag as a ritual even if you haven't prepared it. In addition you can see into the ethereal plane for 30 feet.

Potent Spellcasting
At 8th level you add your wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Enlightenment
At 17th the number of spells you can prepare after taking a long rest equal your cleric level + your wisdom modifier + 5, and for every 10 years that pass your body only ages one.

Anyway I'd love some feedback on it. If you like it feel free to use it in your game.

Giegue
2017-01-29, 07:54 AM
Seems good, except there is one issue with the 6th level feature: clerics already can cast their spells as rituals. They have ritual caster, just like a wizard or bard, as a part of their class. So they kinda need a bit more at 6th level unless I'm reading the ability wrong and it instead lets them cast all cleric [ritual] spells as rituals without having to prepare them, in which case the wording should be corrected to make this more clear.

Other than that, looks pretty solid, and a nice "caster" domain for clerics, which we always need.

FishBot
2017-01-29, 03:26 PM
Seems good, except there is one issue with the 6th level feature: clerics already can cast their spells as rituals. They have ritual caster, just like a wizard or bard, as a part of their class. So they kinda need a bit more at 6th level unless I'm reading the ability wrong and it instead lets them cast all cleric [ritual] spells as rituals without having to prepare them, in which case the wording should be corrected to make this more clear.

Other than that, looks pretty solid, and a nice "caster" domain for clerics, which we always need.

Yeah the ability lets you cast any cleric spell with the ritual tag even if they're not prepared. It frees up prepare slots from ritual spell.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 08:51 PM
At 2nd level as a 10 minute ritual you can separate your spirit from your body. Your body falls unconscious and your spirit enters the border ethereal plane for an hour. Your spirit shares the same stats and has the same abilities as your normal form. If your body takes damage your spirit takes damage and any other effects on your body also apply to your spirit and vice versa. After an hour passes, a creature use their action to wake you up, or you use a free action to awaken your spirit instantly returns to your body and you wake up.

This is very minor, but this feature should say that you expend your channel divinity to perform the ritual. You could edit the text to say this:

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your channel divinity to perform a 10 minute ritual that separates your spirit from your body. Your body falls unconscious and your spirit enters the border ethereal plane for an hour. Your spirit shares the same stats and has the same abilities as your normal form. If your body takes damage your spirit takes damage and any other effects on your body also apply to your spirit and vice versa. After an hour passes, a creature use their action to wake you up, or you use a free action to awaken your spirit instantly returns to your body and you wake up.

Ziegander
2017-01-29, 10:51 PM
Domain Spells
1st: Sanctuary, Unseen Servant
3rd: Augury, See Invisibility
5th: Clairvoyance, Spirit Guardians
7th: Banishment, Death Ward
9th: Commune, Scrying

All flavorful, but might I suggest Divination in place of Death Ward and Reincarnate in place of Scrying? Of course, there's also Phantom Steed, Awaken, Animate Objects, and Dream that fit the theme.

Meditation
At 1st level once per long rest when you finish a short rest you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your cleric level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Arcane Recovery, fair enough.

At 2nd level as a 10 minute ritual you can separate your spirit from your body. Your body falls unconscious and your spirit enters the border ethereal plane for an hour. Your spirit shares the same stats and has the same abilities as your normal form. If your body takes damage your spirit takes damage and any other effects on your body also apply to your spirit and vice versa. After an hour passes, a creature use their action to wake you up, or you use a free action to awaken your spirit instantly returns to your body and you wake up.

This strikes me as... well... odd. It's highly flavorful, yes, but it seems both over and underpowered. What can you actually do on the ethereal plane that you can't do on the material plane? Can you even see into the material plane from the border ethereal? You can't affect anything on the material plane from the border ethereal. But then again, for a whole hour, nothing from the material plane can affect you either. :smallconfused:

Awakened
At 6th level you can cast any cleric spell with the ritual tag as a ritual even if you haven't prepared it. In addition you can see into the ethereal plane for 30 feet.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Neither benefit is particularly useful or exciting. Feels really underpowered, but it's probably fine.

Potent Spellcasting
At 8th level you add your wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Always solid.

Enlightenment
At 17th level you have advantage on death saving throws and for every 10 years that pass your body only ages one.

Now this just feels way underpowered. Advantage on death saving throws at any level isn't particularly special, but by 17th level it's almost meaningless. Monks simply don't die of old age at 15th level. Perhaps to continue the "focused-caster" sort of theme you've got going here, maybe combine the anti-aging thing with a more limited version of the Wizard's Spell Mastery. Choose a 1st and 2nd level spell from among your Domain Spell List. You may cast the chosen spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot?

FishBot
2017-01-30, 11:37 AM
All flavorful, but might I suggest Divination in place of Death Ward and Reincarnate in place of Scrying? Of course, there's also Phantom Steed, Awaken, Animate Objects, and Dream that fit the theme.

Arcane Recovery, fair enough.

This strikes me as... well... odd. It's highly flavorful, yes, but it seems both over and underpowered. What can you actually do on the ethereal plane that you can't do on the material plane? Can you even see into the material plane from the border ethereal? You can't affect anything on the material plane from the border ethereal. But then again, for a whole hour, nothing from the material plane can affect you either. :smallconfused:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Neither benefit is particularly useful or exciting. Feels really underpowered, but it's probably fine.

Always solid.

Now this just feels way underpowered. Advantage on death saving throws at any level isn't particularly special, but by 17th level it's almost meaningless. Monks simply don't die of old age at 15th level. Perhaps to continue the "focused-caster" sort of theme you've got going here, maybe combine the anti-aging thing with a more limited version of the Wizard's Spell Mastery. Choose a 1st and 2nd level spell from among your Domain Spell List. You may cast the chosen spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot?

Reincarnate does seem better than scrying. I'll switch that up.

I designed the channel divinity to be scouting tool since you can still see the material plane from the border ethereal, your body still being present on the material plane means that it isn't just an automatic escape button like spells such as blink.

I might make it so they can cast ritual spells from some other spell lists but like you said it's probably fine. The ethereal sight is just flavorful and occasionally useful when fighting ghosts and the like

Yeah I wasn't really to sure about this final feature but I would disagree that advantage on all death saving throws makes you pretty survivable. I'll check out other spellcasting classes for inspiration.