PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Problem Player and time restraints

Beany
2017-01-29, 09:19 AM
Hello. I've done searches in the forums and can't seem to find a similar title so I am adding this one. If anyone knows of a matching article then please direct me to it.

I beseech you game masters of the board, the game I am playing in has run into a problem. I ask for help on behalf of my wonderful Dungeon Mistress.

One of our players has decided that we shouldn't play over two hours. The Mistress would like to go for four hours. Now I know the natural answer is drop the player; However, those of us who have come together are really enjoying each others ability to play the game. It was as if the sky opened up and the Gods aligned us all perfectly to meet with one another. This is by far the best group I have ever played with. Now the problem player is the wife of one of our other players. She coincidentally has migraines 30 minutes into each session, which, she may very well have and they do suck balls. In which case why join a game online where you need to stare at a migraine inducing screen? Anyways, I know the answer. My Mistress is a very kind person though and doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings though. Can I get some DM-to-DM advise from the community? I do appreciate it in advance.

PS. No reason for anyone to be rude or obstinate. Just asking for advise.

tensai_oni
2017-01-29, 11:20 AM
Assuming migraines are to blame, 2 hours sounds less like a matter of preference and more like the physical limit of the player, after which the game sessions start getting too uncomfortable for her to continue. In which case this isn't about a problem player, this is about not being a jerk to someone whose ability to enjoy the game is severly limited by a physical condition. Yes, she is only one person and the group has more people, but there are situations where the majority has to yield so as not to trample the minority.

This assuming the migraines are real and not just an excuse, but if they were fully made up, why would this person be playing to begin with.

You play alright, right? Is it possible to cut a single session time down to 2 hours but instead have sessions more often?

Alternatively you could switch the format around a little. Have the lower intensity parts of the game, like information gathering or shopping for loot, take place using a play by post forum or something similar. Have the realtime sessions focus on the risky, adventure-y parts of the game - and because the rest is handled by PbPs, you'll be able to do it in less time.

Deophaun
2017-01-29, 11:34 AM
Play that game for 2 hours. Then play another, different game for the other 2.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-01-29, 12:09 PM
It's not really the DM's job to solve this, it's the job of the whole group together. I'd suggest putting it out in the open and having a group discussion.

Knaight
2017-01-29, 12:21 PM
If the issue is the screen - and it might be, though from personal experience I can say that migraines can crop up from all sorts of weird stuff (fluorescent lighting is what tends to do it for me; the whole shift towards LED lights has been amazing) - it might be avoidable. If you use something like Skype you can often play via audio alone, plus rolling actual physical dice.

John Longarrow
2017-01-29, 12:47 PM
As another who suffers from them, I know migraines are not fun. I'd recommend working with the player to find an alternative that does not cause them in the first place rather than working on a limited time period.

As others have posted changing how your DM runs the game can help immensely. For me, that would be the way to go.

Beany
2017-01-29, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give the DM this advice.

I don't think the 2 hour game time would be as bothersome to her if the player would stay for more than 30 minutes though. Cause then the girls husband ends up running both his and her characters most of the time. IDK. Thank you all though. The DM has begun to discuss everything with her now so hopefully we can get this sorted out and continue our game.

Quertus
2017-01-29, 01:30 PM
Migraines are horrible!

Depending on the individual, there are several possible solutions.

As has been mentioned, playing one game (with her) for 2 hours, then switching to a different game. Or playing shorter sessions more often.

Or, since she is the wife of one of the players, getting him to do the "look at the screen" part.

Or she could, maybe, medicate. Unless 2 hours is her medicated duration.

But, as her friends, the best thing you can do is be supportive, and help her however you can.

John Longarrow
2017-01-29, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give the DM this advice.

I don't think the 2 hour game time would be as bothersome to her if the player would stay for more than 30 minutes though. Cause then the girls husband ends up running both his and her characters most of the time. IDK. Thank you all though. The DM has begun to discuss everything with her now so hopefully we can get this sorted out and continue our game.

So she's only playing for 30 minutes now? Hmmm.. so why is she concerned about time she wouldn't be playing anyhow?

Beany
2017-01-29, 02:01 PM
Yea, 30 minutes in she has a migraine and has to leave. It's happened consistently every week. However I digress. I shared the advice with the DM and she likes the pbp idea. We are currently hashing out the details now. Thank you all. We're going to give that a try.

JohanOfKitten
2017-01-30, 05:07 AM
About the migraines when too long in front of a screen :
Have they tried to put some anti-blue light filter on the screen or have anti-blue light treatment on glasses (if she had any) ?
Has she checked her view with an ophtalmologist recently and has a proper correction with glasses if needed ?

I'm asking that because it can really help her and let her enjoy more of the games. My wife has regularly migraines and could have them easily when we were playing online on roll20. About for 4 months, she saw the doctor and get new glasses (her view has changed since the last time) and she got anti-blue light treatment. It changes a lot for her : less dizziness in front of screen, less migraines, better sleep. She still has migraines from time to time, but can deal much more easily the online games.

Also, if her and her husband play on the same computer, she can easily "rest" from time to time, by not looking always on the screen and letting her husband deal with things like moving her character or check her sheet. During that moments, she's still here, she can hear other players, respond to them, without having to much exposition to the screen. With regular moments like that, maybe it can help her to deal with the game longer without starting her migraine.

Other thing, discuss with her about the time choosen to play : maybe some days and hours are better for her (because this day she can left early work and being less tired; or because every wednesday, she got her sport session and is exhausted the Thursday after; or because she has to wake early and past some hour in the evening, she can be sleepy and tired...).
That may help a bit to limit the apparition of migraines.

I know how it can be. It sucks and it's complicated, but if she's still playing, it means that game and that group are important for her, or she would have ditch it.
I hope you'll find ways to deal with it and still get great moments together!

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-30, 07:36 AM
Also, if her and her husband play on the same computer, she can easily "rest" from time to time, by not looking always on the screen and letting her husband deal with things like moving her character or check her sheet. During that moments, she's still here, she can hear other players, respond to them, without having to much exposition to the screen. With regular moments like that, maybe it can help her to deal with the game longer without starting her migraine.

I agree with the idea of rest helping her. Also, the games are usually not visual...unless you are communicating through text. Are you?

If they want to play 2 hours due to discomfort, instead consider the idea of 2 hours, then a 30 minute break, then another hour and a half. Some people will probably need to take a break anyway for bodily functions and for nourishment. Playing a warforged means the character doesn't need to eat, not the player.

I don't have migraine experience so hopefully Johan's suggestions are more informed.

kyoryu
2017-01-30, 11:27 AM
I get migraines.

Personally, I know if something consistently triggered a migraine in that way, I wouldn't do it. Nothing is worth that. I'm not sure why she keeps at it, I suspect there's some other relationship dynamic at play.

I'd recommend having her not stare at the computer. Print out her character sheet, let her refer to that. Is most of your time spent in a map or similar where she actively needs to look at the computer? If so, switching to a game/style that doesn't require that as much would probably be helpful.

If the screen is causing the issue, the obvious solution is to minimize the amount of time she needs to look at the screen.