PDA

View Full Version : Warlock 9th lvl spells?

Doomwhispo
2017-01-29, 09:40 AM
How can a warlock have lvl 9 spells when there maximum spellslot is 5?
Sorry if it's a stupid question I think I'm missing something

Antonidas17
2017-01-29, 09:45 AM
Warlocks get spells of 6th level and above a little differently, through a feature called Mystic Arcanum. I don't have the PHB on me, but I believe they choose one spell from the list, and may cast it once per long rest. Effectively, they get one spell slot for each level from 6-9, but they only recharge on a long rest, like most other casters.

No worries, it confused me for a while too.

Millstone85
2017-01-29, 09:45 AM
Mystic Arcanum, page 108.
At 11th level, your patron bestows upon you a magical secret called an arcanum. Choose one 6th-level spell from the warlock spell list as this arcanum.
You can cast your arcanum spell once without expending a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do so again.
At higher levels, you gain more warlock spells of your choice that can be cast in this way: one 7th-level spell at 13th level, one 8th-level spell at 15th level, and one 9th-level spell at 17th level. You regain all uses of your Mystic Arcanum when you finish a long rest.

Fredaintdead
2017-01-29, 09:46 AM
Warlocks gain access to 6th and above spells via their Mystic Arcanum feature.
Mystic Arcanum:
At 11th level, your patron bestows upon you a magical secret called an arcanum. Choose one 6th-level spell from the warlock spell list as this arcanum.
You can cast your arcanum spell once without expending a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do so again.
At higher levels, you gain more warlock spells of your choice that can be cast in this way:
one 7th-level spell at 13th level,
one 8th-level spell at 15th level,
and one 9th-level spell at 17th level.
You regain all uses of your Mystic Arcanum when you finish a long rest.

So, rather than get 6th-9th slots, they gain what is essentially Spell-Like Abilities (similar to how several monsters with spells worked in 3.5).

Millstone85
2017-01-29, 09:53 AM
Effectively, they get one spell slot for each level from 6-9, but they only recharge on a long rest, like most other casters.Not quite, since there is no possibility to use this feature to upcast another spell.

So, rather than get 6th-9th slots, they gain what is essentially Spell-Like Abilities (similar to how several monsters with spells worked in 3.5).It is also similar to daily powers in 4e.

In fact, the 5e warlock feels very 4e with its at-will/encounter/daily design.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-29, 11:25 AM
In fact, the 5e warlock feels very 4e with its at-will/encounter/daily design.

I think that was intended. While I don't know how they were in proper 3.5 PnP (since they were added on in a supplement book,) the two games I played with Warlocks in them, the were essentially Eldritch Blast turrets with some weak casting on the side, and a bit more durability thanks to light armor. 4e was the first time they were built into the base game.

It takes some getting used to, but I kinda like how they still (in essence,) have the AEDU style. Makes them unique from the other arcanists, and classes in general.

Millstone85
2017-01-29, 11:35 AM
It takes some getting used to, but I kinda like how they still (in essence,) have the AEDU style. Makes them unique from the other arcanists, and classes in general.I like it too. Amusingly, 4e classes felt samey because they all used this model, at least until psionics. But now, it is a point for diversity.

Addaran
2017-01-29, 12:03 PM
I think that was intended. While I don't know how they were in proper 3.5 PnP (since they were added on in a supplement book,) the two games I played with Warlocks in them, the were essentially Eldritch Blast turrets with some weak casting on the side, and a bit more durability thanks to light armor. 4e was the first time they were built into the base game.

It takes some getting used to, but I kinda like how they still (in essence,) have the AEDU style. Makes them unique from the other arcanists, and classes in general.

In 3.5, they were also focused on EB, but they had lots of invocations to modify them. You could get some debuff on them, change the damage type (usually game with a bonus to damage also) and change the shape (melee, sniper, "chain-lightning" and aoe). The other invocations where the false-life and silent image at-will type, but you actually had great spells and at around the same time a real caster would get them. (fly, voracious dispel and invisibility at lvl 6). Then there was some weird ones, like bonus to skills, speak to animals, swim speed, darkvision, etc

Sicarius Victis
2017-01-29, 01:53 PM
The Warlock's Invocations also allowed for some weirdness, such as at-will 2nd-level spells as a level 1 character.

Davemeddlehed
2017-01-29, 02:12 PM
The Warlock's Invocations also allowed for some weirdness, such as at-will 2nd-level spells as a level 1 character.

Warlocks don't get any invocations at level 1.

Sicarius Victis
2017-01-29, 02:17 PM
Warlocks don't get any invocations at level 1.

I'm referring to 3.5.