PDA

View Full Version : Becoming more resistant to clickbait?

Togath
2017-01-29, 03:42 PM
So it's been brought to my attention...
I have a bad habit of relying on googled news headlines for my news.
Which... basically means I annoyingly often fall victim to fear due to a clickbaity headline.
Anyone have advice for getting rid of the urge to try to get news that way?

Dodom
2017-01-29, 08:02 PM
- Make a habit of reading the whole article for any headline you find pertinent enough to take into account. If you don't have the time or energy to read right now, consider the title's information as you'd consider a rumor, and wait for confirmation before basing any opinion or decision on it.
- Remember the URL of a couple media you trust and the dubious sources you encounter most often to pre-screen faster.
- Follow a publication on a topic that interests you (science, celebrities, anime, whatever floats your boat) and develop your nonfiction reading skills on things that you already know can keep your attention. It'll be easier to follow more diverse topics if you read article length pieces regularly already.

That's what I can think of right now.

Cespenar
2017-01-30, 12:41 AM
Find a proper news site and make it your home page?

Armok
2017-01-30, 02:19 AM
This may come across as being a bit narrow minded, but I try to distance myself from news as much as I can. Like obviously there are big things that are worth knowing about... But honestly, how many headlines do you see that actually have a direct impact on your life? Does knowing about every latest controversy actually contribute to your life in a meaningful fashion?

I try to limit the scope of my interest to the local level. Often I feel like with news sources being as biased as they are, any big headlines on any larger scale are just taglines for articles written to skew your perception towards certain conclusions while you read it. Especially when it comes to the national level and politics get involved...

I've also found that in general, this has improved my outlook on life. Unfortunately the news sources know outrage sells, and so they publish every negative thing they can get their hands on... But there's so much good and beauty in the world that never gets any praise. I've seen more than enough wedding and newborn child cards pass by me at work to tell me that love is alive and well, that joy's all around us, and that life continues to blossom no matter how bad the papers want to make things seem. Getting more in touch with that knowledge and less in touch with headlines and the news stream has honestly made me feel better about life.

Togath
2017-01-30, 09:17 PM
To be fair, I DO want to stop looking at news sites and such.
I just gotta get out of the habit.
I am making progress though, so that's a plus.

KillingAScarab
2017-02-03, 05:57 AM
Find a proper news site and make it your home page?I would suggest finding multiple sources, not all of them websites if you can help it. Even with websites, check for the by line, for the name of a reporter or what news service they got the story from. If you read two news websites, but both of them are getting the story from the same news service (e.g., Associated Press), they likely have the exact same story and you won't get any benefit from reading both copies. If there is a specific reporter listed, you may be able to find out other details from officially-affiliated social media accounts that reporter also uses. Some of these details may be disproven later, so the weight you give them may vary depending upon the situation.

Unfortunately the news sources know outrage sells, and so they publish every negative thing they can get their hands on... But there's so much good and beauty in the world that never gets any praise. I've seen more than enough wedding and newborn child cards pass by me at work to tell me that love is alive and well, that joy's all around us, and that life continues to blossom no matter how bad the papers want to make things seem. Getting more in touch with that knowledge and less in touch with headlines and the news stream has honestly made me feel better about life.Not everything bad that happens is reported widely, of course. Local and national news can draw away resources to cover international news. This can matter more to you if you have family and friends abroad, or you are traveling. The same goes with specialty reporting.

lylsyly
2017-02-03, 09:21 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Clickbait Anonymous (CA). Oh drat, CA is already taken ....

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to ClickBait Anonymous (CBA).

KillingAScarab
2017-02-04, 04:49 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Clickbait Anonymous (CA). Oh drat, CA is already taken ....

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to ClickBait Anonymous (CBA).Do you think this could also serve all the people from 2000 who responded to "Punch the Monkey!" banner advertisements and went to websites with virtual bubblewrap?

lylsyly
2017-02-04, 01:26 PM
Sure, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop clicking on useless things ;)

danzibr
2017-02-05, 05:08 PM
What's with all the clickbait threads? Are the titles themselves clickbait?

Stephanie
2017-02-26, 04:18 AM
Do you think this could also serve all the people from 2000 who responded to "Punch the Monkey!" banner advertisements and went to websites with virtual bubblewrap?

Ooh I loved the websites with virtual bubblewrap and other weird things like that! That's why Stumble Upon is still useful to me. Sometimes it gets me to things that make me think of that.

Knaight
2017-02-26, 02:17 PM
Bookmark a set of good sources (and I'd include things like finding individual writers who have proven themselves to be solid and bookmarking just that writer here), and use those book marks for news. Include something local, try and skew towards analytical sources and not anything with an emphasis on breaking news, and accept that while this does mean you'll usually be a bit behind the curve on information your information will also be better.