PDA

View Full Version : Guardian Of Faith

Pex
2017-01-29, 06:14 PM
If the Guardian Of Faith has already done 50 radiant damage when it strikes one more time and the opponent fails his saving throw, how much radiant damage does the Guardian Of Faith deal?

Kileonhardt
2017-01-29, 06:16 PM
If the Guardian Of Faith has already done 50 radiant damage when it strikes one more time and the opponent fails his saving throw, how much radiant damage does the Guardian Of Faith deal?

It would still deal full damage and then disappear.

Erys
2017-01-29, 07:52 PM
It would still deal full damage and then disappear.

This is correct.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 08:58 PM
If the guardian of faith hits a rat with 2 health, and the rat fails its save, how much damage does it expend from its pool?

Erys
2017-01-29, 09:03 PM
If the guardian of faith hits a rat with 2 health, and the rat fails its save, how much damage does it expend from its pool?

Why would the Guardian hit the rats? I can't imagine either rat being hostile towards the cleric.

Deleted
2017-01-29, 09:08 PM
Why would the Guardian hit the rats? I can't imagine either rat being hostile towards the cleric.

You haven't been playing D&D very long, have you?

:smalltongue:

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 09:13 PM

The reason is irrevelant. Let's say it's a rabid rat possessed by Orcus. Can you answer the question now, or are you going to take the dodge action again? :smallwink:

Erys
2017-01-29, 09:16 PM
The reason is irrevelant. Let's say it's a rabid commoner who rolled poorly for health.

The reason is not irrelevant. Read the spell.

The Guardian only attacks creatures hostile to you, the caster.

In saying that, anyone who qualifies as a target takes 20 radiant damage, Dex save for half.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-29, 09:22 PM

In saying that, anyone who qualifies as a target takes 20 radiant damage, Dex save for half.

This is correct. It doesn't matter how much hp the creature it hits has, the damage is fixed no matter what.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 09:24 PM

Hmm. When laying siege to a castle with a spirit guardian, send in the rabid mice, I guess.

Deleted
2017-01-29, 09:27 PM
Hmm. When laying siege to a castle with a spirit guardian, send in the rabid mice, I guess.

Animal Messenger on a rat that has rabies and is rabid?

Erys
2017-01-29, 09:33 PM

Yeah, cause rabid mice would somehow not attack whomever just let them out of the bag.

You really got to think this stuff through man...

Mellack
2017-01-29, 09:35 PM
Yeah, cause rabid mice would somehow not attack whomever just let them out of the bag.

That is why you use a mage hand to open it from 30 feet away.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 09:37 PM

Good point.

I suppose you could pull them out of the bag with Gauntlets or Leather gloves on and then throw them towards the guardian.

Erys
2017-01-29, 09:42 PM
That is why you use a mage hand to open it from 30 feet away.

Good point.

I suppose you could pull them out of the bag with Gauntlets or Leather gloves on and then throw them towards the guardian.

Maybe if you tossed/set it on the cleric who is standing in the area of the Guardian. Otherwise, neither justifies the rabid critters desire to hurt the cleric. It will just attack the nearest creature to it.

Mellack
2017-01-29, 09:47 PM
Maybe if you tossed/set it on the cleric who is standing in the area of the Guardian. Otherwise, neither justifies the rabid critters desire to hurt the cleric. It will just attack the nearest creature to it.

You drop/toss the bag full of rabid mice next to the cleric, then move away and open it with mage hand. Mice attack nearest target: the cleric.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-29, 09:49 PM

Infantry 1: Whatcha doin, Boss? Wait, is that an illusion of that cleric guy we've been trying to kill for, like, forever?

Captain Jim: Indeed it is... you see, by torturing these mice with hot water while showing them the visage of our enemy, I am convinced that I can program them to join our cause. Their animosity will cause them to trigger his guardian spell, thereby using up its energy, and then we can run in for the kill! [Captain Jim chuckles darkly to himself, dunking the mouse cage in the boiling water]

Erys
2017-01-29, 10:03 PM
You drop/toss the bag full of rabid mice next to the cleric, then move away and open it with mage hand. Mice attack nearest target: the cleric.

If the cleric is in the area of the Guardian, and the rabid critters are placed right next to him, they wouldn't technically move...

Could be grounds for it to not work still since the spell reads "any creature hostile to you that moves to a space within 10 feet of the guardian for the first time".

Oh, and an after thought, why aren't the rabid critters fighting each other?

Infantry 1: Whatcha doin, Boss? Wait, is that an illusion of that cleric guy we've been trying to kill for, like, forever?

Captain Jim: Indeed it is... you see, by torturing these mice with hot water while showing them the visage of our enemy, I am convinced that I can program them to join our cause. Their animosity will cause them to trigger his guardian spell, thereby using up its energy, and then we can run in for the kill! Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Man, I thought Mellacks idea had a lot of moving parts.

Amusing nonetheless.

Trained animals could possibly void the spell, depending on where the cleric is standing.

Pex
2017-01-29, 11:58 PM
Question answered. I don't give a rat's a$$ about anything else here.

djreynolds
2017-01-30, 02:35 AM
Is it PC to throw Halflings and gnomes at the spirit guardians