PDA

View Full Version : Half-Fielestial Possible? 3.5

flappeercraft
2017-01-29, 07:23 PM
Is there a way to apply both the Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial templates to a single creature? What i'm thinking is that maybe it could work by getting a Half-Celestial with the Human Heritage feat and cast Call forth the beast on it. After which when it wakes up cast the Nar Fiendbond spell on it which unless I'm getting something wrong should make it have the Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates at the same time. Are there any other ways?

The Viscount
2017-01-29, 07:30 PM
You could also begin as a Half Celestial and take 10 levels of Fiend-Blooded.

Tiri
2017-01-29, 08:46 PM
There's also the Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) template class, which a Half-Celestial turned nongood can take, and the Half-Celestial (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) transition class, which a Half-Fiend Aasimar turned nonevil can take.

Remuko
2017-01-29, 11:46 PM
There's nothing I can see on the SRD saying the templates conflict. A Neutral Human should be able to have both. You can still apply one after the other. Neither care if you're already an outsider.

Inevitability
2017-01-30, 01:36 AM
There's nothing I can see on the SRD saying the templates conflict. A Neutral Human should be able to have both. You can still apply one after the other. Neither care if you're already an outsider.

Don't forget that either template changes your alignment to evil/good. Maybe apply Dark in between to shift your alignment back to neutral?

Remuko
2017-01-30, 02:12 AM
Don't forget that either template changes your alignment to evil/good. Maybe apply Dark in between to shift your alignment back to neutral?

Does it? I see a section that looks like the monster manual entries for alignment but nothing saying it actually changes it. Always Good/Evil (Any) doesn't mean you must be Good/Evil. Nothing in the text says it shifts your alignment.

Ashtagon
2017-01-30, 02:18 AM

Even though the templates change the critter's alignment, that does not matter for the purpose of meeting the prerequisites to allow the templates to be applied.

Also, if you're the GM, just do it, regardless of prerequisites or RAW, and say its an aspect of the metaphysics of your setting that this is a thing that can happen.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-30, 02:44 AM
Make the creature have 3 halves: a half-celestial half-red dragon half-fiend is perfectly legal. Many other templates work just as fine.

ShurikVch
2017-01-30, 08:23 AM
Searing Seed - 8th level Corrupt spell from Dragon #300 - cause victim in 1d3 rounds to birth an "Evil twin" with Half-Fiend template

Uncle Pine
2017-01-30, 09:32 AM
Searing Seed - 8th level Corrupt spell from Dragon #300 - cause victim in 1d3 rounds to birth an "Evil twin" with Half-Fiend template
Holy sheep, what a find! :smalleek:

This foul spell calls upon the seed of an unknown evil outsider. The seed manifests as a surging beam of black and red fluid that arcs out of your fingers to strike the targeted creature.
This is the first time the thought of hurling sperm of an evil outsider at my enemies crossed my mind.

I also have a new favourite spell to put into potions whenever I decide to label them as "Cure Moderate Wounds".

Inevitability
2017-01-30, 12:47 PM
This is the first time the thought of hurling sperm of an evil outsider at my enemies crossed my mind.

Can I sig this?

And sorry to break it to you, but I'm fairly sure an 8th-level spell can't be put in a potion.

ShurikVch
2017-01-30, 12:51 PM
And sorry to break it to you, but I'm fairly sure an 8th-level spell can't be put in a potion.Faerūnian Master Alchemist is able to brew potions with spells of higher levels - up to 9th

Uncle Pine
2017-01-30, 12:53 PM
Can I sig this?

And sorry to break it to you, but I'm fairly sure an 8th-level spell can't be put in a potion.
Sig it right away, comrade.

And an 8th level Master Alchemist (Magic of Faerun) can put 8th level spells in potions. EDIT: Ninja'd.

flappeercraft
2017-01-30, 01:20 PM

I know of the spell and it is actually one of my favorites but unfortunately the base creature would be good therefore not being subject to the Half fiend template or if the Half fiend template takes priority due to the spell then it would be the opposite. It could though be used on my idea instead of Nar fiendbond.

Remuko
2017-01-30, 02:23 PM
Okay I guess no one will address my last post. I was hoping someone would confirm that my interpretation was right or wrong and why.

Malimar
2017-01-30, 02:33 PM
Does it? I see a section that looks like the monster manual entries for alignment but nothing saying it actually changes it. Always Good/Evil (Any) doesn't mean you must be Good/Evil. Nothing in the text says it shifts your alignment.

When a template specifies a thing, it means that thing is a change from the base creature. Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial specify alignment, therefore they change alignment.

A creature that is "Always [alignment]" is [alignment] by default but can change its alignment.

So yes, Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial change your alignment, but you can change it back -- or, DM allowing, have changed it in your backstory.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-01-30, 03:53 PM
When a template specifies a thing, it means that thing is a change from the base creature. Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial specify alignment, therefore they change alignment.

A creature that is "Always [alignment]" is [alignment] by default but can change its alignment.

So yes, Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial change your alignment, but you can change it back -- or, DM allowing, have changed it in your backstory.
Always is called out as meaning "almost always" so an evil half-celestial that was never good, ever, does not conflict with the "always good" alignment.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-30, 04:06 PM

Clarification: since most characters get their first chance to act after they get out of the womb/egg/whatnot, this means that "changing your alignment back" isn't really an option in this case since both templates are inherited.

Telonius
2017-01-30, 04:13 PM
Right, both Half-templates are inherited templates. What they not do, is add [Good] or [Evil] as a subtype. You can get those if you use the rituals in Savage Species, but it's not an assumed thing.

Remuko
2017-01-30, 05:50 PM
Always is called out as meaning "almost always" so an evil half-celestial that was never good, ever, does not conflict with the "always good" alignment.

This is how I took it as well.

Malimar
2017-01-30, 05:58 PM
"Almost always" is not exactly what the rules say "Always" means, though. It's more specific than that.

Always: The creature is born with the indicated alignment. The creature may have a hereditary predisposition to the alignment or come from a plane that predetermines it. It is possible for individuals to change alignment, but such individuals are either unique or rare exceptions.
Emphasis mine.

Clarification: since most characters get their first chance to act after they get out of the womb/egg/whatnot, this means that "changing your alignment back" isn't really an option in this case since both templates are inherited.
Right, unless you get the template through the other methods mentioned upthread. (Except I just checked out Fiend-Blooded and it doesn't appear to give you the Half-Fiend template, so ???)

Telok
2017-01-31, 01:50 AM
Make the creature have 3 halves: a half-celestial half-red dragon half-fiend is perfectly legal. Many other templates work just as fine.

I'm pretty sure it's not too hard to add half-troll, half-vampire, half-golem in there. And there's no base creature yet, half-elf.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-31, 03:35 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not too hard to add half-troll, half-vampire, half-golem in there. And there's no base creature yet, half-elf.
You could also add 50 more dragon halves (or more!). :smallbiggrin:

Tiri
2017-01-31, 03:58 AM
You could also add 50 more dragon halves (or more!). :smallbiggrin:

A family history of dragon rape.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-31, 06:50 PM
A family history of dragon rape.
Those poor dragons!

Thurbane
2017-01-31, 09:53 PM
Right, unless you get the template through the other methods mentioned upthread. (Except I just checked out Fiend-Blooded and it doesn't appear to give you the Half-Fiend template, so ???)

20 levels in the Mountebank class (Dragon Compendium)?

Mage keeper
2017-02-01, 03:49 AM
you can have a lesser aasimar half-fiend or a lesser tiefling half-celestial

ShurikVch
2017-02-01, 10:47 AM
20 levels in the Mountebank class (Dragon Compendium)?Or 12 levels in Disciple of Ashardalon (Draconomicon) - assuming it's available to Half-Celestial Dragon

Notes:
Half-Fiend template was based on 2e demon-mortal hybrids - such as Alu-Fiend and Cambion; but Cambion was printed for 3.5 in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1c/Expedition_to_the_Demonweb_pits_-_Cambion_-_p196.png/revision/latest?cb=20160124231944
So, how about Half-Celestial Cambion?

Also, by one of theories, Concordant Killers (Monster Manual IV) were produced as a result of Celestial/Fiend crossbreeding
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w0F9CfC2Qj4/WDK1S3fgEBI/AAAAAAAAJ-U/eU1cfWMgR903LiDMYw8VyLrilF1HVm_SwCLcB/s320/pd60demonguy.jpg

And certainly, it's the origin story of Infernals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#infernal): Some Good god had a bit of good time with one hot fiend...

http://samlib.ru/img/h/hrenow_r/wneshnieplany/ddelh04.jpg