PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Druid?

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-29, 07:48 PM
Is there any benefit to a monk/druid multiclass? (Aside from making Kung Fu Panda, obviously.)

If so, how would you do it? What level split would you want, and which sub-classes of each would you use?

Assume that your DM allows you to use your monk AC and martial arts whilst in animal form (using the animal form's stats, obviously).

jaappleton
2017-01-29, 07:50 PM
Sun Soul Monk's ability, Radiant Sun Bolt, is usable while in beast form.

Sharks with freakin' laser beams.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-01-29, 08:42 PM
Is there any benefit to a monk/druid multiclass? (Aside from making Kung Fu Panda, obviously.)

If so, how would you do it? What level split would you want, and which sub-classes of each would you use?

Assume that your DM allows you to use your monk AC and martial arts whilst in animal form (using the animal form's stats, obviously).

Long Death Monk/Moon Druid either 8/12 or 5/15. You want at least level 5 monk for the extra attack and stunning strike, level 8 monk gets you evasion, another ASI, etc. while still allowing you to Wild Shape into CR 4 beasts.

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-30, 06:06 AM
What about the other way round - any value in being mostly monk, but still having a few druid levels?

Cespenar
2017-01-30, 06:56 AM
Moon Druid 2 can give you two additional HP pools, lots of movement/perception modes, and versatile level 0-1 spells like Mold Earth, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Entangle, etc.

It's a very front loaded class.

Also, as a Shadow Monk 6 / Moon Druid 2, you can jump from shadow to shadow as a panther/lion, so there's that going for you. I don't know how one can go cooler than that.

ThatKreacher
2017-01-30, 03:51 PM
At low levels, lets say a monk 3/druid 2, you can jump really far! cast jump on oneself as a bonus action for x3 distance, then use step of the wind for 1 ki point for a totaly of x6 distance! lets say you have 12 strength, thats 72 feet you can jump in one round! if you wild shape into, say, a lion, it gets even wilder with a total of 150 feet jumped in one round!

I always like a nice spear wielding open hand monk3/land druid3 who just tosses opponents around on an area of spike growth. 15ft push, for every 5 ft 2d4 damage, 6d4 per 15ft, if you hit twice in a round(2 flurry of blows) and they fail strength saving throw twice then (at level 6) you can get 1d8+3 + 2d4 +6 + 12d4.

if one wanted to play an elements monk, you could get some more back up from land druid to make sure you get more of your niche element, not forgetting all the nifty elemental spells druids already get.

wild shape greatly benefits from having unarmoured defense and bonus movement, as well as shadow transportation if you go with way of the shadows. a mouse with pass without trace and that can teleport up to 60feet is a pretty effective scout. monks can use many druid spells to their advantage, notably entangle, fog cloud, jump, pass without trace, hold person, spike growth, flaming sphere and sleet storm too.

I believe there is a lot of existing synergy between the monk and druid, as the monk enhances the offensive and defensive features of the druid, and the druid provides a lot of versatility with their spells and exciting niche combinations with their class features and abilities.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-30, 03:57 PM
Personally, I'd stop at monk 1 or 2. Monk1 to get Wis to AC and Martial Arts for a bonus action attack and the ability to use Dex with a staff/spear, then out. Or possibly monk2 to get some Ki to use Flurry/PatientDefense/StepOfTheWind every once in a while, and +10 movement, but after that I'd definitely be out.
But I'd probably just stop at 1.

Davemeddlehed
2017-01-30, 06:18 PM
Personally, I'd stop at monk 1 or 2. Monk1 to get Wis to AC and Martial Arts for a bonus action attack and the ability to use Dex with a staff/spear, then out. Or possibly monk2 to get some Ki to use Flurry/PatientDefense/StepOfTheWind every once in a while, and +10 movement, but after that I'd definitely be out.
But I'd probably just stop at 1.

Makes more sense to go monk to at least 5 for the extra attack.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-01-30, 08:53 PM

Exactly, and stunning strike.

Extra Attack in Wild Shape is no joke. There's a lot of Beasts that have one big damage attack, or one big damage attack and one smaller damage attack put together in a multiattack. With Extra Attack you can just do two of the big damage attack. It's gnarly.

Dalebert
2017-01-30, 10:59 PM
Most appealing would be moon druid 2 / shadow monk 18. You could cast Darkness on something worn and then transform into something with blindsight. The same trick works druid-only with fog but fog doesn't move with you like darkness. The biggest tedium with wildshape is being a full caster and having to decide when to turn back to cast and lose your wildshape until a rest. This way you don't really ever need to turn back early.

At lowest levels, that's probably a giant spider. I might go Ghostwise Halfling and get dex and wisdom as well as a way to communicate while wild-shaped.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-01-30, 11:38 PM
Open hand 10/Circle of Dreams 10
3-4 attacks + teleporting + open hand shenanigans + stunning strike = cool nova aoe stun round (potentially)
Teleport around via move action, slap people around sending them flying 10 feet or into the ground, like ...like....like this https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ZFSWik_AsA7Uxdq-EnQJhv4ibKg=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3609058/2014-08-26_14_56_07.0.0.gif

Maxilian
2017-01-31, 09:48 AM
Sun Soul Monk's ability, Radiant Sun Bolt, is usable while in beast form.

Sharks with freakin' laser beams.

Work great with the Flying Snake, have a good DEX (19), have Flyby and its tiny, so its easy to find Full Cover (to work around the lack of Hp), sadly as a flying beast, you will need to be at least lvl 8 (if you go with Circle of the Moon druid)

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-31, 09:56 AM
Exactly, and stunning strike.

Extra Attack in Wild Shape is no joke. There's a lot of Beasts that have one big damage attack, or one big damage attack and one smaller damage attack put together in a multiattack. With Extra Attack you can just do two of the big damage attack. It's gnarly.

I feel that more caster faster is better than 3 or 4 more levels of monk. YMMV

Dalebert
2017-01-31, 11:50 AM

Kind of agree. Depends on what your focus will be. I kind of like the idea of a mostly monk who can shapeshift (so monk 18 / druid 2) but if your goal was to be a caster shapeshifter with some monk goodies, I tend to agree (druid 18 or 19 / monk 1 or 2). I'd be disinclined to half-ass it (druid 15 / monk 5).

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-01-31, 02:33 PM

If you are going to be a moon Druid and will spend most of your time in Wild Shape, getting Extra Attack is a gigantic boost. I basically see it as essential in the same way that getting Extra Attack for a martial class is essential.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-31, 02:45 PM
If you are going to be a moon Druid and will spend most of your time in Wild Shape, getting Extra Attack is a gigantic boost. I basically see it as essential in the same way that getting Extra Attack for a martial class is essential.

Yep. Because Rogues aren't a martial class.
Extra Attack is not essential for everyone in melee. Not even full casters who wild shape. Is it good? Yes. Is it essential? Not even close. Not for the cost.

Zene
2017-01-31, 02:59 PM
Ok, so say you were a Monk that wanted to dip Moon Druid 2 for the spell utility and wildshape benefits mentioned above. When would be a good time to do it? Right after Monk 5? Or wait until higher levels?

(and would the answer change if you were an open hand monk instead of a shadow monk?)

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-31, 03:00 PM
Personally, I'd rather play Monk with a splash of druid than druid with a splash of Monk.

Mainly because Moon Druids have one of the best Capstones in the game.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-01-31, 03:03 PM
Yep. Because Rogues aren't a martial class.
Extra Attack is not essential for everyone in melee. Not even full casters who wild shape. Is it good? Yes. Is it essential? Not even close. Not for the cost.

Pretty sure Rogues get something to compensate, I believe it's called Sneak Attack.

If I put a Barbarian 5 or monk 5/Moon Druid 2 up against a Moon Druid 7, the multi-class combo is going to work the Druid like a job.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-31, 03:07 PM
If I put a Barbarian 5 or monk 5/Moon Druid 2 up against a Moon Druid 7, the multi-class combo is going to work the Druid like a job.

The Druid 7, who just cast Moonbeam or Hold Person or Confusion or Dominate Beast before wildshaping disagrees with you. And oops, you probably started as a Barb for those extra HP, so you aren't proficient in Wis saves.

Maxilian
2017-01-31, 03:08 PM
Ok, so say you were a Monk that wanted to dip Moon Druid 2 for the spell utility and wildshape benefits mentioned above. When would be a good time to do it? Right after Monk 5? Or wait until higher levels?

(and would the answer change if you were an open hand monk instead of a shadow monk?)

Yes the answer will change, mainly because Open hand monks require their WIS more than the Shadow Monk, in general, it depends on your stats (what are they, how good are they or how bad, and how much do you need ASIS)

Have in mind that Monks are one of the classes that require more ASIS, unless you plan on using mainly the physical stats of the beasts (having in mind you only plan a couple of lvl dips, that's a no)

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-01-31, 11:12 PM
The Druid 7, who just cast Moonbeam or Hold Person or Confusion or Dominate Beast before wildshaping disagrees with you. And oops, you probably started as a Barb for those extra HP, so you aren't proficient in Wis saves.

And what you said has absolutely nothing to do with the point at hand. Congrats.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-01, 08:02 AM
And what you said has absolutely nothing to do with the point at hand. Congrats.

Read my sig. Congrats.

Dalebert
2017-02-01, 11:03 AM

I might be able to help with that. He's saying that he has a large repertoire of powerful spells and you only have first level spells while pointing out that he can cast a powerful concentration spell and then use it while wild-shaped. He lists several spells that are arguably game-changing that your build would not yet have access to. Thus, his point is that the fight may not be as slam-dunk as you imply.

So while you can certainly disagree with his points and/or post counterpoints, his reply was a direct response to your claim. Helpful?

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-01, 12:11 PM
He lists several spells that are arguably game-changing that your build would not yet have access to.

Would not yet have access to, and would be fairly-to-particularly susceptible to, in some cases ending the fight before it even began.
Moonbeam would either be next to useless, or fantastic, depending on whether your DM considers a wild shaped druid to be a shapeshifter or not.

Thus, his point is that the fight may not be as slam-dunk as you imply.
Exactly.

Citan
2017-02-07, 06:59 AM

Any Monk (except maybe Shadow because redundancy) with Land Druid. Keep Druid 5 max, use it to get any combination of...
- Absorb Elements (defense and offense combined, in your only lacking department -elemental-)
- Entangle (great paired with Stunning Strike)
- Healing Words (emergency healing),
- Longstrider (always useful movement buff, non-concentration),
- Mirror Image (Coast, great defense),
- Pass Without Trace (stealth power),
- Haste (Grassland, extra chance to hit),
- Heat Metal (great for one-on-one),
- Enhance Ability (good for everything else in a given day)...
- Conjure Animals (great variety of uses)...

Shillelagh (melee), Produce Flame (light/ranged) and Thorn Whips (control) for cantrips.

You can also push Druid to 6 to make a great combo between Plant Growth and your Monk's great movement (since Druid won't be affected).
Open Hand Monk 14 / Grassland Druid 6 for example would end a beast: cast Plant Growth, then laugh as you sweep around enemies, immobilizing them for good, as you shove them prone in a very difficult terrain.

Although my favorite combo is usually a mix of Monk with dips in Druid and Cleric. ;)

If you are allowed martial arts and Unarmored, obviously Moon Druid would be great, but I'd say Monk 6 at least would be necessary for the multiclass to be worthwhile. I'd be tempted to take 4 Elements Monk just for Fangs of the Fire Snake, otherwise Open Hand is the most natural to me (I suppose Shadow couldn't use his "spells" while Wild Shaped), maybe pushing up to 7th for Evasion.

Also, in the long run, not sure a "main" Moon Druid has any reason to dip into anything else, if the character has any remote chance of reaching 20th level. Hence...

What about the other way round - any value in being mostly monk, but still having a few druid levels?
IMO it's the "best" approach for high-level end characters.
For character up to 10, I'd say both approaches are equally viable, although very different in playstyle.

Open hand 10/Circle of Dreams 10
3-4 attacks + teleporting + open hand shenanigans + stunning strike = cool nova aoe stun round (potentially)
Teleport around via move action, slap people around sending them flying 10 feet or into the ground, like ...like....like this https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ZFSWik_AsA7Uxdq-EnQJhv4ibKg=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3609058/2014-08-26_14_56_07.0.0.gif
Circle of Dreams? Is it UA content?

MrStabby
2017-02-07, 07:40 AM
I played a one off game with a coast druid 3 fighter 6, which was pretty awesome and I think Monk could benefit in much the same way.

Druid gets you a bunch of cantrips, utility wildshape and some spellcasting. Land druid nets you an extra couple of spell levels which is pretty important. For me I chose coast as I wanted mirror image and misty step. Misty step would be less useful for a monk so you could pick a different circle.

Druid low level spells are also great. Faerie fire is one of the spells that stays awesome all game, heat metal is a brutal spell - defensive and aggressive (although again a little less good for the monk as they have a lot of bonus action abilities). Entangle and spike growth are also amazing.