PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Better Magic Item Pricing

thoroughlyS
2017-01-29, 08:12 PM
I'm starting up a game soon (as DM), and I hate how shafted weapon users get when it comes to magic items. They are expected to spend half of their wealth on their weapons and armor, which leaves little wiggle room for fun or utility items. I'm searching for pricing systems that don't put as much of a drain on weapon users.

I have one idea so far. It consists of two changes to the current rules:

Calculate the enhancement bonus and each item property separately.
Weapons can only have a number of item properties equal to their enhancement bonus.

To use a few examples under this new system:

+1 Flaming Longsword = (+1 enhancement) + (+1 property) + (masterwork weapon) = 2,000 + 2,000 + 315 = 4,315 gp
+2 Flaming Longsword = (+2 enhancement) + (+1 property) + (masterwork weapon) = 8,000 + 2,000 + 315 = 10,315 gp
+1 Blurstrike Longsword = (+1 enhancement) + (+2 property) + (masterwork weapon) = 2,000 + 8,000 + 315 = 10,315 gp
+2 Flaming Blurstrike Longsword = (+2 enhancement) + (+1 property) + (+2 property) + (masterwork weapon) = 8,000 + 2,000 + 8,000 + 315 = 18,315 gp
+1 Flaming Blurstrike Longsword = N/A

Does anyone have any alternative systems, or see any problems with this current one?

Death_Lord12
2017-01-29, 08:45 PM
Alternatively, you could determine the normal price of an item, then lower it to what you believe is fair. If it becomes too much for the players at that level or point in time, and they start abusing the items or cheapness of said items, you can up the price again, take away the items, or add hidden curses to the items.

Another thing you might want to try is limit the need for such powerful items. There is a lot more to the game then just hitting the enemy with your sword. Perhaps give them more role playing opportunities? Or possibly have them try to not kill some enemies and instead just incapitate them. You could also build encounters so that they use the items more, that way it's more worth their money if they are using it often enough.

Or just give them extra treasure.

Troacctid
2017-01-29, 09:15 PM
I have one idea so far. It consists of three changes to the current rules:

Calculate the enhancement bonus and each item property separately.
Weapons can only have a number of item properties equal to their enhancement bonus.

*counts on fingers* Hmm.

I use just the first of these two in my games. I don't see the necessity of the second one.

thoroughlyS
2017-01-29, 09:16 PM
*counts on fingers* Hmm.
Whoops. I was going to include rolling in the cost for masterwork, but I took that out because I'm thinking of using this cool masterwork variant system I found.

legomaster00156
2017-01-29, 09:40 PM
If your goal is to limit the necessary number of magic items, perhaps you'd be interested in Pathfinder's Automatic Bonus Progression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/automatic-bonus-progression)?

thoroughlyS
2017-01-29, 11:46 PM
If your goal is to limit the necessary number of magic items, perhaps you'd be interested in Pathfinder's Automatic Bonus Progression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/automatic-bonus-progression)?
My goal is basically to allow martial characters to pick up more "novelty" items, like a survival pouch or an immovable rod. There is the fact that spellcasters can now more effectively purchase weapons, but I don't have any full casters in my group anyway.