PDA

View Full Version : Which does more damage?

Zhentarim
2017-01-30, 10:56 AM
Does fighter with a dip of alchemist or barbarian with a dip of alchemist do more damage?

Remuko
2017-01-30, 02:51 PM
Im pretty sure a Barb is better than a fighter in basically every way. Since both are paired with Alchemist, even though I don't know anything about that class, I'd assume the Barb version does more damage.

emeraldstreak
2017-01-30, 03:10 PM
Any particular reason to be fighter or barbarian only?

Buufreak
2017-01-30, 03:13 PM
So, alch 1/fight 19 vs alch 1/barb 19, or do we have the options for prestige? Because barb already wins this, prestige is salt in the wound.

Psyren
2017-01-30, 03:31 PM
Core vs. Core and melee-only a Barbarian is better; it has a superior chassis, and feats are generally not as powerful as rage powers.

As you add splats though, the Fighter narrows the gap considerably. Advanced Weapon Training is very strong and allows the Fighter to break even in several key ways, plus archetypes give it more functionality like the Brawler's floating feats or the Lore Warden's skills.

For your concept in particular, what is the Alchemist dip for? If it's for the Mutagen, I'd recommend being a Mutation Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/mutation-warrior) fighter instead. This will not only give you a mutagen without dipping, you will be able to scale the mutagen up with you through your discoveries, plus grab the Wings discovery. Best of all, it doesn't interfere with your Weapon Training, so you still have access to all the cool Advanced Weapon Training options.

Also - Fighters are generally better archers than Barbarians too (archery is very feat-intensive, moreso if you want to switch-hit), so take that into account.

Zhentarim
2017-01-30, 04:44 PM
Core vs. Core and melee-only a Barbarian is better; it has a superior chassis, and feats are generally not as powerful as rage powers.

As you add splats though, the Fighter narrows the gap considerably. Advanced Weapon Training is very strong and allows the Fighter to break even in several key ways, plus archetypes give it more functionality like the Brawler's floating feats or the Lore Warden's skills.

For your concept in particular, what is the Alchemist dip for? If it's for the Mutagen, I'd recommend being a Mutation Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/mutation-warrior) fighter instead. This will not only give you a mutagen without dipping, you will be able to scale the mutagen up with you through your discoveries, plus grab the Wings discovery. Best of all, it doesn't interfere with your Weapon Training, so you still have access to all the cool Advanced Weapon Training options.

Also - Fighters are generally better archers than Barbarians too (archery is very feat-intensive, moreso if you want to switch-hit), so take that into account.

I wanted the mutagen, and being ableto self buff with enlarge person was a nice touch.

Psyren
2017-01-30, 05:08 PM
I wanted the mutagen, and being ableto self buff with enlarge person was a nice touch.

If all you want aside from the mutagen is enlarge person, I would just buy some potions instead. It doesn't really hurt anything either way though, losing a fighter level is not as impactful as, say, losing a sorcerer level would be.

Zhentarim
2017-01-30, 05:21 PM
If all you want aside from the mutagen is enlarge person, I would just buy some potions instead. It doesn't really hurt anything either way though, losing a fighter level is not as impactful as, say, losing a sorcerer level would be.

Hmmm...That brings up a good question...Would it be worth it to throw in a level of barbarian and take extra rage a couple of times, or just stick with mutation warrior//two-handed fighter straight up?

Psyren
2017-01-30, 06:11 PM
Hmmm...That brings up a good question...Would it be worth it to throw in a level of barbarian and take extra rage a couple of times, or just stick with mutation warrior//two-handed fighter straight up?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I find dipping inelegant/undesirable, especially when it accomplishes as little as this does. My personal approach to your concept would probably be Mutation Fighter VMC Barbarian 20 with Advanced Weapon Training.