PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Battle sorcerer Help picking out spells

Nosta
2017-01-30, 11:35 AM
so i'm very limited on were I can select spells from just PH1 Complete Adventure and Libris Morits

I Know I Need Haste As I Am going to Try to Convince My Gm to Let me prestige in to swift-Blade

But As For the Rest i am unsure. I know i want to be good at self buffing but i like a few Good Dmg spells

TotallyNotEvil
2017-01-31, 10:06 AM
What's your level and actual build?

There are old stand-bys such as Mage Armour, Color Spray, Scorching Ray (or, better, Elemental Darts), Web, etc.

Things of course change if you have metamagic or higher level spells to play with.

Nosta
2017-01-31, 04:08 PM
My Bad Ecl 6 I Need self buffing and Damaging spells like magic missle
i'm finding it hard with the lack of material were allowed to use

Eldariel
2017-01-31, 04:22 PM
You have PHB. Therefore:

Mage Armor
Alter Self
Haste
Enlarge Person
Mirror Image
Invisibility
Magic Circle Against (Most Typical Enemy Alignment - generally Evil)
True Strike
Shield

Heroism isn't entirely worthless either - it's worth considering. Down the line you'll want Greater Magic Weapon (level 8 by latest), Phantom Steed (it learns to fly on level 14), Resist Energy, etc. Note, later on True Strike combines nicely with Mounted Charge with Power Attack, the Lance multipliers and Spirited Charge; though as a Sorcerer you can't Quicken it in Core.

Far as combat goes, you'll want the usual:
Dispel Magic
Glitterdust
Web
Stinking Cloud

Covers all saves and gives you great utility. Grease is also worth knowing, and then some debuff Rays for tougher enemies (Ray of Enfeeblement is fine, Ray of Exhaustion is also good).

Far as damage spells go, be a minimalist. You don't have the spells known to know a large variety so pick one and stick to it. Perhaps Magic Missile or some non-Fire spell is a good idea given the omnipresence of fire resistance and immunity.

CharonsHelper
2017-01-31, 04:37 PM
Stick with the self-buffing which are normally not worth getting ofr a wizard/sorcerer. Also - your CHA shouldn't be crazy high. A 14-15 at level 1 is plenty since you shouldn't pick spells with DCs anyway.

Shield is pretty sweet if you're going to be wading into the thick of it if using a two-handed weapon.

If I remember - you can wear light armor without ACP, so Mage Armor wouldn't help much. Also - I'd recommend using a mithril buckler if fighting one-handed (no ACP or armor check penalty - and you have a hand free for casting while having a sword out).

Eldariel
2017-01-31, 04:47 PM
Stick with the self-buffing which are normally not worth getting ofr a wizard/sorcerer. Also - your CHA shouldn't be crazy high. A 14-15 at level 1 is plenty since you shouldn't pick spells with DCs anyway.

I dunno about that. Considering he's only two levels off Polymorph, his physicals will swiftly cease to matter while there's never a lack of use for casting stat as a caster.