PDA

View Full Version : Legendary actions coordination

EggKookoo
2017-01-30, 12:18 PM
Any thoughts or tips on how to handle an epic major boss fight where a number of NPCs have legendary actions (and the big boss has lair actions on top)? Anyone know of any tools to help keep it all coordinated?

pwykersotz
2017-01-30, 04:15 PM
Any thoughts or tips on how to handle an epic major boss fight where a number of NPCs have legendary actions (and the big boss has lair actions on top)? Anyone know of any tools to help keep it all coordinated?

I don't have any tool ideas, but I would suggest running the actions in initiative order. So if the dragon and the mummy lord both have actions and the dragon is initiative 25 and the mummy lord is initiative 18, on initiative 20 the dragon would have its legendary actions happen first, then the mummy lord.

Alternately, to space things out a bit for the party, you could adjust the actions to happen on staggered initiative counts. So the dragon would be 20, the mummy lord 15, the lair action 10, etc. This would potentially keep players from being too overwhelmed by a cavalcade of abilities.

EggKookoo
2017-01-30, 11:02 PM
I think legendary actions trigger at the end of another creature's turn. It's lair actions that go on init 20. Or am I getting that wrong? It's late and I'm already asleep...

Hawkstar
2017-01-31, 12:06 AM
Depending on the number of creatures and monsters - The lair action happens when it happens.

Don't try to have more than one creature take its legendary actions after another, but you're free to coordinate them as you wish.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-01-31, 06:54 AM
I think legendary actions trigger at the end of another creature's turn. It's lair actions that go on init 20. Or am I getting that wrong? It's late and I'm already asleep...

No, you've got that right. Lair on 20, Legendary after a creature's turn.

I agree with several other posters that you should try to have the creatures take their legendary actions after different character's turns whenever possible (though you may not have enough PCs to stagger all of them).

EggKookoo
2017-01-31, 07:30 AM
So something that just occurred to me. Does the lair action on 20 count as a turn, for the purposes of using a legendary?

I think I get the basic mechanism. I'm mainly just trying to think of tools or methods to keep track of it all. Color-coded tokens might be the way to go.