PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteeing th Magical Hit

KnotKnormal
2017-01-30, 01:55 PM
Hello again, I'm currently building a modified "Mailman" and normally the build calls for True Strike, True Casting, and Assay spell, to land your hardest hitting spells. HOWEVER, thematically Divination in this game is strictly forbidden and the punishment for doing so is basically death. so is there anyway to guarantee my magic hits when I need it to, or at least make it more likely to hit?

Doctor Despair
2017-01-30, 02:44 PM
Go into Dweomerkeeper to get Supernatural Spell to ignore spell resistance

Zanos
2017-01-30, 03:01 PM
Arcane Mastery will allow you to take 10 on caster level checks, including those to penetrate spell resistance. With enough caster level increases and/or spell penetration that should be enough to comfortably ignore the spell resistance of whatever you're fighting.

Touch AC among printed creatures actually goes down on average at higher CRs. I guess seeking ray and targeting ray could help, but they require touch attacks themselves.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-30, 03:14 PM
Use spells that buff Dex and such, I guess, for a marginal bonus to hit. It does hurt to lose Truestrike. See if you can get use of it as an SLA through plot or something, maybe. Alternatively, research a wizard spell that acts as Truestrike but without using divination. That requires DM fiat, but it is within the rules and would show you're acknowledging the setting guidelines at least.

Telok
2017-01-30, 03:44 PM
Invisible melee touch attacks on prone or helpless targets from a flanking position normally hit.

flappeercraft
2017-01-30, 04:21 PM
Dweomekeeper Supernatural Spell Limited wish "I wish my next attack does not miss". It works according to the description of Limited Wish.

Psyren
2017-01-30, 04:33 PM
Flat-footed touch AC is usually pretty easy to hit, so try being Greater Invisible or get really good at stealth. Also, try making yourself much smaller for the Dex / attack bonuses (being Tiny or smaller will also help you with hiding.) I would see if you can play as or turn into a Pixie.

Zanos
2017-01-30, 04:41 PM
Invisible melee touch attacks on prone or helpless targets from a flanking position normally hit.
I think such a target has bigger problems. But being invisible is a good help.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-30, 07:21 PM
Invisibility is much stronger if divination is illegal, too. A stealth build could be really good here; invisible, silent spell, dark stalker, and a high hide check

Anthrowhale
2017-01-30, 08:20 PM
"Surge of Fortune" is a Cleric L5 Transmutation spell which allows you to trade an immediate action for a natural 20. This is available via limited wish. The advantage over limited wish directly doing this is that it explicitly counts as a natural 20 and it can be cast rounds/level in advance.