PDA

View Full Version : (PATHFINDER) Wizard tower cost.

CuetOh
2017-01-30, 02:44 PM
Hi, at first sorry about my english.
Im going to start playing an already started adventure, they re playing giantslayer and there is no arcane character so i will be a wizard. I will ask my GM if i can invst my gold (108,000 gp APROX) in a Wizard Tower (Just for roleplay)
Where can I find information(book or any reference) for build my Wizard tower and how much will be cost?

Thx :)

digiman619
2017-01-30, 02:52 PM
You might be interested in the downtime rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/downtime). While it's true that those are more for businesses than real estate, that should give you a reasonable estimate on cost. Also, your English is pretty good; while I can notice a few wrong things, I understood what you meant, and that's the point of language, right?

Zanos
2017-01-30, 02:58 PM
That downtime page actually contains an example "Caster Tower" which costs 4,750gp and contains:

Rooms: 1 Artisan's Workshop, 1 Bath, 1 Bedroom, 1 Cell, 1 Ceremonial Room, 1 Kitchen, 1 Lavatory, 1 Magical Repository, 1 Office, 1 Scriptorium, 1 Scrying Room, 1 Sitting Room, 1 Storage

Segev
2017-01-30, 03:00 PM
I would think twice about this, because the gp for your level is not fluff for a PF game. It's part of your mechanics and expected level of power. You will want to be sure you have all the spells and magic items you want before investing in a tower. Unless you can make the tower, itself, somehow support your adventuring prowess.

Serafina
2017-01-30, 03:04 PM
Pathfinder has an extensive downtime system (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/downtime), which also includes rules for building and owning buildings.

It even comes with a pre-made "Casters Tower" for 4.750 gp. All in all, it contains the following rooms:
1 Artisan's Workshop, 1 Bath, 1 Bedroom, 1 Cell, 1 Ceremonial Room, 1 Kitchen, 1 Lavatory, 1 Magical Repository, 1 Office, 1 Scriptorium, 1 Scrying Room, 1 Sitting Room, 1 Storage (in total about 125 5-foot squares of room, if you're on the larger range of room sizes).
You're of course free to add to that in case you need any rooms not on that list. There are also several room augmentations, for example you could turn the cell into an antimagic one (~48.000 gp), fortify all the rooms for 300 gp each, and rune-scribed walls can be a good way to block divination.

Of course, that's just a mundane building. If you want to go all-in, you'll probably want a lot of permanent spells covering the thing.
Permanency (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/permanency) is the most obvious option for that.
You could make the place unscryable via Mages Private Sanctum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mage-s-private-sanctum) with about two castings (25,000 gp).
You could reinforce vital rooms with Walls of Force, or add Phase Doors to your private rooms.
You could redirect teleporters via Teleport Trap so that you're a bit safer against that tactic, for about 14.000 gp.
Then there's all sort of magical traps via permanent symbols, animated objects, constructs, and probably a bunch of useful wondrous items you can use too.

So the answer to your question is "minimum about 5000 gp, but you can spend a lot more if you want to".

Zanos
2017-01-30, 03:06 PM
Well, the printed tower contains a Magical Repository(+3 Kn:Arcana, +3 Spellcraft), Artisan's Workshop(Mwk Tools), Scriptorium(Mwk tools for any writing skill), Scrying Room(+1 DC on targeted divinations), and then a bunch of probably irrelevant stuff.

The more interesting downtime buildings are probably the Summoning Chamber(+3 to charisma checks for binding and +3 Kn: planes), and the Blood Spa if you're Evil(ignore aging penalties). Book repositories are also nice if you fancy yourself a sage.

unseenmage
2017-01-30, 11:38 PM
I would think twice about this, because the gp for your level is not fluff for a PF game. It's part of your mechanics and expected level of power. You will want to be sure you have all the spells and magic items you want before investing in a tower. Unless you can make the tower, itself, somehow support your adventuring prowess.

I don't remember the tower's specs but a LOT of the downtime buildings sq footage falls within the Animate Objects range.
We used them as flying bases of operation.

Even used the Amalgam template in Advanced Bestiary (also on PFSRD) to combine them with Tattoo Guardians for ease of portability.

5ColouredWalker
2017-01-31, 12:02 AM
I don't remember the tower's specs but a LOT of the downtime buildings sq footage falls within the Animate Objects range.
We used them as flying bases of operation.

Even used the Amalgam template in Advanced Bestiary (also on PFSRD) to combine them with Tattoo Guardians for ease of portability.

Both of those tend to be rather... Lacking in HP, meaning it'd be very easy to de-animate the tower. That said, it would make camping much nicer.

unseenmage
2017-01-31, 12:12 AM
Both of those tend to be rather... Lacking in HP, meaning it'd be very easy to de-animate the tower. That said, it would make camping much nicer.

Agreed. Part of why our table switches Construct bonus hp by size for bonus hp by Str.
Even then though Animated Objects suck.

Recently though I learned of the Trompe L'oeil template from Horror Adventures. Makes any creature with an Int score intoa veritable Construct lich.
As written it has language that says it might be controllable, while sometimes its not controllable.
But it does have pricing for a player to build it.

Just paint an Awakened or Brain Bioconstruct Modification version of the tower and viola, the GM is sure to throw books at you for template stacking shenanigans. :smallsmile: