PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight / sorcerer multiclassing

jamert
2017-01-30, 02:51 PM
For my first character, I'm wanting to make an eldritch knight that dips into the sorcerer class. I think I understand that my (spellcasting level) = [(sorc. Lvl) + (1/3 fighter lvl (rounded down)], but how would casting work since sorcerers use sorcerer points?

And so I'm not mistaken on my understanding, Fighter 5:Sorcerer 1 would give me 2nd spell lvl multi-class?

tomato
2017-01-30, 03:10 PM
Yes, your overall caster level is 2 with EK Fighter 5/Sorcerer 1.

Sorcery points come at Sorcerer 2, and increase from there on. They work about like you would expect, even with EK Fighter spells. Do you have any specific questions about interactions there?

Jelkan
2017-01-30, 03:25 PM
To clarify, since you say this is your first character, you would not have any 2nd level spell slots. Your overall caster level would be 2. If you were EK 6/ Sorc 1 you would have 2nd level spell slots, but you would not have any 2nd level spells known. In order to use those slots you would need to upcast 1st level spells.

Eldritch knight counts as a 1/3 caster, so every 3 levels in it count as 1 caster level. You need to be caster level 3 to have 2nd level spell slots. The multiclassing section on page 163-164 in the Player's Handbook might help if you are a little confused about this.

Arcangel4774
2017-01-30, 03:28 PM
Sorcery points are a secondary resource though there is a transfer rate between then and spell slots.

When you gain the points at lvl 2 (1 sorc point per sorc level) you have the ability to trade them for spell slots. 2 for a 1st level slot, 3 for 2nd level, then 5, 6, and 7 for 3rd 4th and 5th levels respectively. You don't get metamagic, another way to spend sorc points, until sorcerer lvl 3.

jamert
2017-01-30, 03:43 PM
Could sorcery points be used on EK wizard spells (for enhancements)?

My main reason for going into sorcerer would be for twinning spells in conjunction with action surge if need be.

Unless I'm reading wrong or there's a rule against it, should net the "casting" of 4 spells in one turn for a decent burst.

SharkForce
2017-01-30, 03:57 PM

My main reason for going into sorcerer would be for twinning spells in conjunction with action surge if need be.

Unless I'm reading wrong or there's a rule against it, should net the "casting" of 4 spells in one turn for a decent burst.

your question is a bit unclear, so i'll give my answer to the two things i think are the most likely question you were asking...

- you can use metamagic from the sorcerer on eldritch knight spells.

- you can use sorcerer points to create spell slots which you can use to cast eldritch knight spells.

edit: aaaand it looks like i caught your edit in my quote =S (and it looks like it was my first guess).

for the record, it isn't actually 4 spells, but two spells which each work on 2 targets. this is important if, for example, you are concentrating on something (because it is one spell, a twinned haste - just as one example - only requires you to concentrate once) and also if you were imagining that you were going to drop, say, quadruple firebolt on one target (because twin requires two separate targets, not one target twice).

Jelkan
2017-01-30, 04:09 PM

Also, even if you quicken a spell(or use action surge) you can only cast one non-cantrip spell per turn (see pg 202 of the player's handbook). If you want to throw out a spell as a bonus action and do your melee attacks, quicken is still quite amazing. The book just doesn't want us to cast multiple non-cantrip spells in one turn.

SharkForce
2017-01-30, 04:14 PM
Also, even if you quicken a spell you can only cast one non-cantrip spell per turn (see pg 202 of the player's handbook). If you want to throw out a spell as a bonus action and do your melee attacks, quicken is still quite amazing. The book just doesn't want us to cast multiple non-cantrip spells in one turn.

that is not a rule, it has never been a rule, and you clearly need to read the rule yourself.

the rule is that if you cast a bonus action spell, the only other spell you can cast in that round is a cantrip. there is no rule preventing more than one spell per turn or round unless one of them is a bonus action. as long as none of the spells are bonus actions, you can cast as often as you have actions to cast. because a fighter using action surge does not involve a bonus action spell, both spells can be any spell you can cast, whether they are cantrips or not.

Jelkan
2017-01-30, 04:21 PM
that is not a rule, it has never been a rule, and you clearly need to read the rule yourself.

the rule is that if you cast a bonus action spell, the only other spell you can cast in that round is a cantrip. there is no rule preventing more than one spell per turn or round unless one of them is a bonus action. as long as none of the spells are bonus actions, you can cast as often as you have actions to cast. because a fighter using action surge does not involve a bonus action spell, both spells can be any spell you can cast, whether they are cantrips or not.

I was just re-reading that page and realized I made that mistake as well. Looks like I need to re-read and think a little more before I post. That same discrepancy came to my attention. Technically it looks like you could action surge and cast two spells in one turn. I'm sorry if this has caused you any confusion jamert. My brain had mistakingly catalogued that rule into meaning "one non-cantrip spell per turn no matter what".

jamert
2017-01-30, 04:38 PM
I was just re-reading that page and realized I made that mistake as well. Looks like I need to re-read and think a little more before I post. That same discrepancy came to my attention. Technically it looks like you could action surge and cast two spells in one turn. I'm sorry if this has caused you any confusion jamert. My brain had mistakingly catalogued that rule into meaning "one non-cantrip spell per turn no matter what".

No worries.

Thanks everyone!

jamert
2017-01-30, 04:52 PM
Just to clarify, can you twin a fireball?
If you aim it at a creature does that consider it targeted in that regard?

Specter
2017-01-30, 04:55 PM
To clarify, by RAW:

- You can quicken a spell and cast a cantrip in the same turn. If you action surge, it's one spell and two cantrips;
- You can action surge to cast two spells, but you can't quicken a spell if you already cast an action spell.

And was it was said, forget twin, go quicken. At EK5/Sorc5, you can quicken Haste and then Action Surge to make five (!) attacks. Good things come to those who wait.

famousringo
2017-01-30, 05:31 PM
Just to clarify, can you twin a fireball?
If you aim it at a creature does that consider it targeted in that regard?

No. To be Twinnable, a spell must be able to target one and only one creature.

- All AoEs are non-Twinnable, regardless of how many targets they hit.
- Even spells which can possibly target multiple creatures, such as Magic Missile or Scorching Ray, are non-Twinnable.
- Spells which uprank to affect more targets are Twinnable only at levels where they affect one target. e.g. You can Twin Invisibility if you cast it with a 2nd level slot, but if you cast it with a 3rd level slot, it already affects two targets, and therefore isn't Twinnable.