PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who U.S.A.

StickMan
2007-07-20, 08:56 PM
OK I know the new season of Doctor who has been on in england all summer, here in the states it has only been on for 3 weeks so plz no spoilers!!!

So what does every one think the who you are not alone thing means, I've only been watching the new series so I don't know much about the history of the time lords, could there still be other time lords out there?

TheLogman
2007-07-20, 09:50 PM
Well, the Doctor constantly propagates that he is the "Last Time Lord", insisting that the rest were all killed in the Time War.

However, in the most recent US episode, the Professor says that "You are not alone", which leads the Doctor's companion to wonder if there is another Time Lord, but we don't know.

But, since you've already seen that episode, the fact that Time Lord technology is exceedingly rare, (The Bad guys in the last season ender used a piece to fulfill a prophesy, and end the world, something they had been predicting for supposedly millions of year.) supports the idea that the Doctor is indeed the last.

Theodoxus
2007-07-20, 10:30 PM
I know! I know! but I'm not gonna say - suffice that it doesn't get answered until the end of the season. - but it's really cool.

I've been watching the old Tom Baker series from the 70s... that's been a fun trip.

Seraph
2007-07-20, 10:53 PM
some arse went and spoiled it for me online, so I know what it means now. but, I have lots to look forwards to, at least.

Elliot Kane
2007-07-21, 03:43 AM
Don't miss Blink, whatever you do. Best single ep of the season, IMO :)

Greebo
2007-07-21, 08:33 PM
Oh my my my YES Blink was awecome! We watched it in full daylight and were still completely freaked out!

I will not tell you what "You Are Not Alone" means, but I will tell you that you will find out in "Utopia", which is the episode after Blink.

And it was a complete and total "I grew up watching Tom Baker" Geek Out episode for me. :D

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 08:57 PM
So obvious it doesn't even merit spoiler tags. :smallamused:

Come off it Stickman. You might tell yourself you don't, but deep down you know exactly who the Face of Bo was referring to when he croaked out his 'dying Yoda' line.

Who's the only other memorable Timelord in the Whovian canon? Think hard now. We've all been waiting for his return since Kit Eccleston first showed up...

The actor they chose to play him: OK in other things I've seen him in, but simply not charismatic and threatening enough to play the role. Not a patch on the classic we elder geeks grew up fearing. :smallwink:

Greebo
2007-07-22, 07:51 AM
The actor they chose to play him: OK in other things I've seen him in, but simply not charismatic and threatening enough to play the role. Not a patch on the classic we elder geeks grew up fearing. :smallwink:

Assuming you mean the 1st one and not the 2nd...

Ah yes but Derek Jacobi was *perfect* for the role of the Professor - the kindly old man frustrated at his inability to help mankind. I agree, Jacobi doesn't do very well long term at bad-guy roles.

But I found the 2nd incarnation (i think officially the 6th) very satisfactory through "The Sound of Drums" and ... well I wont name the finale cause that gives *too* much away.

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-22, 08:10 PM
Question for the American viewers:

How high a profile does this season of Doctor Who (or DW in general) have over in the States? Does Doctor Who get broadcast on one of the major networks, or is it squashed into a cult cable channel or something?

I'm just curious, and this was an excellent series of Who. I completely agree with "Blink" being one of the best episodes of Who ever. There are quite a few "experimental" episodes in this series that don't conform to what you expect from the Who formula, but I felt that it was all for the best.

Hope you enjoy this season fresh and spoiler free. :smallbiggrin:

Seraph
2007-07-22, 08:42 PM
Question for the American viewers:

How high a profile does this season of Doctor Who (or DW in general) have over in the States? Does Doctor Who get broadcast on one of the major networks, or is it squashed into a cult cable channel or something?

its on the sci-fi channel every friday at 9.

bugsysservant
2007-07-22, 09:07 PM
*cough* *cough*tv-links*cough*

If you want to see the Dr. who episodes, tv links puts links up. Just google "tv links" (I don't know about the legalities of linking, and I'm just erring on the safe side)

Totally Guy
2007-07-23, 11:53 AM
its on the sci-fi channel every friday at 9.

And is that one of the major channels, or is it a cult cable channel?

Dib
2007-07-23, 12:14 PM
Oh, come on, Glug!! Just look at the name! 'The Sci-fi Channel,' I wonder what they show... Doctor Who is a UK thing, dont expect the overseas cousins to put it where it deserves to be...

Anyway... Im gonna be an ass and spoil it!! Haha!!! 'You are not Alone' me-

*USA ninja snags from behind*

Me: Eep! Help!!

Ninja: not today you Who freak!!

Me: AAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

*Disappears into the shadows never to be seen again*

Me: ooh... spooky...

Ninja: shut up

Wolfman42666
2007-07-23, 01:17 PM
This is less of a spolier and more of a "dangaling a carrot". But I'll spolier it to be on the safe side.
Dammit how d'you spolier things (i feel like a moron:smallfurious: ) Thanks

The face of Boe's story is not finished yet, the shocking conclusion... won't be revealed by me.

Greebo
2007-07-23, 01:24 PM
[ spoiler ] insert text here [/ spoiler ]

Take out the spaces around the word spoiler.

StickMan
2007-07-23, 11:59 PM
Well first off as I'm 19 I've never seen the old doctor who so I have no clue about any of the other time lords.

Second Sci-fi channel is were dead Sci-fi shows come to be replayed. They do make there own shows but only about 2 or 3 at any given time also they make there own movies. So it is a cult channel but it is a high ranking one right now they are doing Stargate Atlantis (Just ended Stargate SG1), a show called Eureka(its a town in the U.S.A. were all the worlds smartest people come to work and chaos does in sue, quite good actually), The new Battle Star series, and Stan Lee's who wants to be a super hero. I may be missing something I think they have a new one that is about to come out. Who wants to be a super hero was quite popular were I live and not just with the geeks.

Also thank god for the American Ninja's.

P.S. I am not reading the spoilers.