PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question about Shape Change

Stryyke
2017-01-30, 05:53 PM
This is weird, but I am about to get shape change for the first time. Once I get the humanoid change ability, I just wanted to know if shape change can include clothing. If I shape change into a human, for example, am I just a naked human; or does the ability grant access to shape changing into any outfit of my desire?

Tainted_Scholar
2017-01-30, 05:57 PM
As far as I can tell, you would keep any equipment you had before as long as it still fits your new form, otherwise it melds into your new body.

Stryyke
2017-01-30, 06:02 PM
So if you start as an awakened animal, switching to human would mean you appear naked.

Zanos
2017-01-30, 06:03 PM
What actual ability are you using, and what's your base form? Most shapechanging abilities have frustratingly different rules.

Stryyke
2017-01-30, 06:08 PM
I'm starting as a pseudodragon, getting druid shape-change. At lvl 6 I will be moving to Master of Many Forms, which grants humanoid forms.

Segev
2017-01-30, 06:24 PM
You will be naked unless you have clothes that fit both your pseudodragon and humanoid forms. Wilding clasps would accomplish this.

You could also discuss with your DM an ability to have humanoid forms include clothes that have no special mechanical benefit other than "you don't look naked." Though if you try to push the quality it might be questionable.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-01-30, 08:56 PM
You will be naked unless you have clothes that fit both your pseudodragon and humanoid forms. Wilding clasps would accomplish this.

You could also discuss with your DM an ability to have humanoid forms include clothes that have no special mechanical benefit other than "you don't look naked." Though if you try to push the quality it might be questionable.

While that's not RAW, I'm willing to bet most DMs would allow that.

Also Magic Items resize to fit the wearer.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-31, 08:28 AM
You could, of course, also get something like a Hat of Disguise to solve the problem.

Hiro Quester
2017-01-31, 10:52 AM
So you are talking about the wildshape class feature of druids (Shapechange is a 9th level spell; we're not talking about that right?).

No. Everything you are wearing disappears into your body and becomes nonfunctional. It's designed for a humanoid wearing clothing to instantly be able to become a relatively regular-looking animal. You are doing this in reverse.

So you would change into a naked human and don clothing afterwards.

Hang on... How are you adding a humanoid form? Normally wildshape grants animal forms. I assume you have taken the fangshields ACF that grants humanoid wildshape forms at 7th level, right? That is based on Polymorph (which is based on Alter Self).

That ability lets you keep your equipment, but only if it can be worn by both your regular and new form. But a pseudodragon is tiny. So assuming a medium or small humanoid form would require donning gear after changing form.

Having a wilding clasp on magic items should also take care of resizing those; a small druid turning into a large tiger, who has a wilding clasp on a periapt of wisdom, isn't immediately choked by the small-sized periapt.

So keep humanoid clothes in your AC's saddlebag/handy haversack. Cast obscuring mist before you change form, change in the mist and emerge from the fog a fully dressed human. Many people around might not even know it's you.

Edit: And (as Eggynack points out in his "Being Everything (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook)" Druid guide) if you are taking this Fangshields option, then consider taking the enhance wildshape feat. Then whenever you change to human you can take a free bonus feat. a different one each time. that flexibility can be very very useful.

Flickerdart
2017-01-31, 11:31 AM
Hang on... How are you adding a humanoid form? Normally wildshape grants animal forms. I assume you have taken the fangshields ACF that grants humanoid wildshape forms at 7th level, right? That is based on Polymorph (which is based on Alter Self).

OP said he is taking Master of Many Forms.

Telonius
2017-01-31, 12:33 PM
Give your Pseudodragon a Hat of Disguise. Anyone who can see through the illusion will probably know you're a Pseudodragon anyway; anyone who can't will see a fully clothed human; and the idea of a pseudodragon wearing a hat is just awesome.

Hiro Quester
2017-01-31, 02:02 PM
OP said he is taking Master of Many Forms.

Right. Forgot that detail (distracted by the cool idea of playing a pseudodragon).

Yeah... RAW you appear naked, then. The hat of disguise would have to be removed (or wilding clasped) as you change then replaced to get the clothing disguise. Or get dressed after you change shape.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-31, 02:04 PM
So if you start as an awakened animal, switching to human would mean you appear naked.

This is the naked truth, yes.