PDA

View Full Version : Catch a Cerynitis

Benthesquid
2017-01-30, 07:17 PM
With their 180 foot move speed, constant Freedom effect, and ability to dodge ninety feet as a retroactively readied action, this divine deer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/cerynitis)is built to be able to get away from all but the greatest hunters. I have some ideas as to how I might go about trying to catch one, but I'm curious to see what y'all come up with.

It's CR listing is seven, so assume a four man party of that level or lower.

Bonus points if you can catch it non-lethally.

Double bonus points if the party is specifically good at this sort of pursuit, as opposed to being able to handle it through being generally Haxxors.

Zaq
2017-01-30, 08:45 PM
Hmm. Unearthly Speed doesn't work if the cerynitis isn't aware of the oncoming attack. That's a pretty tall order for something that has a +18 initiative and the ability to always act in a surprise round, but it might be your best bet.

Alternatively, maybe some kind of poison would work? Tricking the cerynitis into consuming food or water that's been dosed with a sleeping poison of some sort seems like it would get around most of their specific "nope!" buttons. Poison that would result in paralysis is no good, because that would trigger Freedom, but poison that results in unconsciousness seems valid. +9 Fort isn't super low, but it's not insurmountable. I don't see any specific abilities in that statblock that counter poison, though.

Now, how you go about tricking a deer-like thing with 11 INT and 20 WIS into consuming poisoned food is another matter, and that pretty much depends on how much info the GM doles out regarding any specific cerynitis's habits. The key is that the creature itself is the one eating the tainted food, so it isn't an "attack" that triggers Unearthly Speed, but it does leave you in squishier territory that doesn't depend entirely on your own abilities.

flappeercraft
2017-01-30, 08:48 PM
Spam the heck out of it with Drow knockout poison or Lizardfolk Sleep poison. Deep slumber could also work. of course, if 3.5 material is allowed.

Benthesquid
2017-01-30, 09:08 PM
Notable that sleep is listed as one of the things that Freedom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/freedom) will immediately end.

Good call on the poisoned food, though. That's an angle I hadn't considered.

Coidzor
2017-01-30, 10:00 PM
Notable that sleep is listed as one of the things that Freedom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/freedom) will immediately end.

Trouble is whether it's being asleep or the spell, since it seems to mix and match between effects and spell names.

Is it immune to ability score damage? Bringing everything but Con to 0 isn't paralysis, but it should incapacitate it if not immune.

Zaq
2017-01-30, 10:32 PM

In the SRD listing, "sleep" is italicized, which indicates that it's referring to the spell "Sleep." You'll also notice that the hyperlink takes you to the spell, not the condition.

Actually, is "asleep" even a condition in PF? I think the condition is called "unconscious."

Benthesquid
2017-01-31, 07:12 PM
In the SRD listing, "sleep" is italicized, which indicates that it's referring to the spell "Sleep." You'll also notice that the hyperlink takes you to the spell, not the condition.

Actually, is "asleep" even a condition in PF? I think the condition is called "unconscious."

Yes, my comment was in reference to the suggestion of using "Deep Slumber," on it, as it seems reasonable that an effect which ends spells restricting movement including sleep would also work to end Deep Slumber.

Coidzor
2017-01-31, 11:06 PM
I suppose someone with a Lyre of Building could find out a general area with a Cerynitis in it, and then modify the terrain to trap it inside a smaller and smaller area.