PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rogue Build

Superglucose
2007-07-20, 10:23 PM
Right, so I wanted to make a simple high-skill plus decent combat rogue build, and here's what I came up with:

Rolling
18 Int
16 Dex
13 Str
13 Con
10 Wis
7 Cha

And I was going to play a Teifling... but I wanted to know exactly how taking a planetouched worked. Someone told me that what I did was pick a planetouched type, then pick a base race... but that doesn't seem right. So should I just play a human instead and get the extra feat?

I eventually want to end up dual-wielding short swords, and have a beast of a sneak attacker (I love getting seven attacks with 10d6 sneak attack alone... add to that the extra d6s from the Arms and Equipment guide's sonic thing and corrosive, and the DMGs Fire Shock and Frost, against some creatures I could be dealing 16d6 damage total... and I get seven attacks!) and I know, sneak attack isn't that great because almost everything is immune to crits... still. I wanted my coup de graces to be REAL coup de graces.

Basically, it's an assassin that deals deathblows via sneak attack. Any suggestions welcome...

JackMage666
2007-07-20, 10:26 PM
I don't see much of a problem with it. Weapon Finesse'll increase you're chance to hit, and all.

Whoever told you about planeouched was kidna wrong. If you want to be a Tiefling, look in the MM in the Planetouched section. It gives you the racial stats.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-20, 11:24 PM
If you want to be a Tiefling, the WotC site has a LA +0 version that's great for rogues.

Human is also a great choice, as is whispergnome.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-20, 11:34 PM
If you can get outside of Core, take three levels into Swashbuckler(CompAdv) and take the Daring Outlaw feat. That will allow you to still get sneak-attack damage while taking Swashbuckler levels(which offer full BAB), plus you that nice +INT to damage.

Aximili
2007-07-20, 11:51 PM
If you want to be a Tiefling, the WotC site has a LA +0 version that's great for rogues.

Human is also a great choice, as is whispergnome.

Could you point us to it? Or do you remember the name of the article so I can search it?

TheDarkOne
2007-07-21, 12:17 AM
If you're going to twf, you probably want a higher con. To get your mileage out of twf you need to make a full attack, to make a full attack you need to stand next to what you're full attacking. This means they probably get a full attack against you. The idea here is to have a con high enough so that you have enough hp that you won't drop after one full attack from your foe.

kpenguin
2007-07-21, 12:31 AM
TWF pounce might be a good idea. You'll then be able to use both strikes in a charge.

Thinker
2007-07-21, 12:58 AM
Could you point us to it? Or do you remember the name of the article so I can search it?

Player's Guide to Faerun has the Lesser Planetouched. They're exactly the same as normal Planetouched, except they are humanoid rather than outsider. This drops them to a +0 LA.

On the WoTC site the only reference to the "lesser" types was here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040215a&page=2

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-21, 01:23 AM
My suggestion:

Get Combat Reflexes, Dodge, and Mobility. Then go for Shadowdancer. Hide in Plain Sight.

Trade in Evasion for Spell Reflection (CompMage? maybe CompArcane) and trade in Uncanny Dodge for Distracting Strike (PhB II). Why? 2nd level Shadowdancer gets both of these back, so basically free abilities.

You'll only loose 1d6, but you'll be able to reflect rays back to sender, postage due. And on those things immune to sneak attacks, you can give them a -5 to AC for a round in place of a sneak attack.

*AFTER* that, dip two levels of Swordsage from Tome of Battle. You are wanting the following: Wall of Blades (Stance), if you and any other ally are adjacent to something, it is flanked, reguardless of position (flanking = sneak attacking) and Assassin's Stance (+2d6 sneak attack). Some of the maneuvers also let you use touch attacks. If you do it at 9th level, you can get these right off. Also, Swordsage 2 gives you Wis to AC... and unlike Monk bonus, it DOES stack with armor.

These two dips only reduce your total SA by 2d6, but you can make that up with Assassin's Stance, and get a LOT of extra useful abilities in the bargain.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-21, 04:27 AM

Someone's already posted the link for lesser planetouched, so here's the link for whispergnomes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3), which are perfect for the sneaky rogue role (Dex+12 to Hide at level 1? Yes, please!).