PDA

View Full Version : What Metamagic is good for Sonic Snap?

The_Iron_Lord
2017-01-30, 10:46 PM
I've heard of "Fell Drain Sonic Snap", but what other metamagic works well with Sonic Snap (Horizikaul's cough)?

Also, what book is Fell Drain from?

Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

The_Iron_Lord

Tiri
2017-01-30, 11:04 PM
Fell Drain is from Libris Mortis.

Jormengand
2017-01-30, 11:19 PM
Deceptive spell (Cityscape) makes the spell appear to originate from a different direction, therefore it can be used to make the spell seem to come from a different direction.

Born of Three Thunders (Complete Arcane) Clawed Spell (Dragon 315), Coercive Spell (Drow of the Underdark), Deafening Spell (Drow of the Underdark), Fell Frighten (Libris Mortis), Fell Weaken (Libris Mortis) and Forceful Spell (Dragon 358) are all +1 metamagics (except Fell Frighten which is +2 and BoTT which is +0 but dazes you) which add a rider to a spell that deals damage, without any reference to how much, and are therefore quite useful (some more than others). Fell Animate (Libris Mortis) is a +3 metamagic that animates a creature as a zombie for no money if you can kill it with the spell, but might not be great unless combined with another metamagic which makes the spell deal more damage (clawed being the only one which does this).

No other metamagic does anything useful to Sonic Snap.

Zaq
2017-01-31, 02:23 AM
Jormengand touched on this, but I'm fond of Fell Frighten on Sonic Snap, at least on a fear-based character. It affects fewer targets than Scare, but it has no save to negate it, which can be a valuable tool to have in your back pocket.

Not necessarily the most crazy optimal thing ever, of course. But it's fun. And Fell Drain is probably stronger overall. I've just actually used Fell Frighten Sonic Snap in a real game, so it kind of holds a place in my heart.