PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Changing Weapon Types?

Matrota
2017-01-30, 11:57 PM
My friend is trying to find out a way to have a two handed martial weapon be considered a simple weapon for a character build he's doing. Anyone know of a way to do something like this, whether by feats, class abilities, or enchantments maybe? He's told me they're either going to be an elf or a human.

Ruethgar
2017-01-31, 12:04 AM
Weapon Familiarity is about the closest I can think of, but the feat and alternate racial features for those are all Exotic to Martial.

Andezzar
2017-01-31, 12:22 AM
What's the point of counting it as a simple weapon? If the character isn't proficient with a martial weapon, just take weapon proficiency for that weapon.

Matrota
2017-01-31, 12:34 AM
What's the point of counting it as a simple weapon? If the character isn't proficient with a martial weapon, just take weapon proficiency for that weapon.

He won't tell me since he's building an npc for the campaign I'm a player in, but I have a feeling it's something relating to an ability, such as sneak attack. Or maybe it's a weapon finesse thing where he wants the person to use dex for their two handed weapon? I don't know

daremetoidareyo
2017-01-31, 12:41 AM
He won't tell me since he's building an npc for the campaign I'm a player in, but I have a feeling it's something relating to an ability, such as sneak attack. Or maybe it's a weapon finesse thing where he wants the person to use dex for their two handed weapon? I don't know

There's a monk feat that uses two arms. Natural weapons are light. Hammerfist from Dragon compendium

Andezzar
2017-01-31, 12:44 AM
sneak attack can be done with any weapon, and whether a weapon can be used with weapon finesse has nothing to do with being a simple weapon either.

the only feat I remember that calls out simple weapons is Intuitive attack (like weapon finesse but with WIS). If that is the case tell him to just suck it up and take a simple weapon. The slightly larger damage dice of martial weapons isn't the greatest part of the damage you do with weapons anyways. The d8 of spears and morning stars (not two-handed, but can be wielded with two hands) aren't that bad once you add all your bonuses (1.5 * STR mod, 2:1 Power attack exchange, Power attack modifiers etc.). d8 givers you 4.5 on average, 2d6 7 damage. That's not a great difference, even the maximum difference of 11 isn't that bad.

Matrota
2017-01-31, 12:50 AM
There's a monk feat that uses two arms. Natural weapons are light. Hammerfist from Dragon compendium

Lmao, I'll be sure to tell him

Thurbane
2017-01-31, 03:18 AM
There is an enchantment that automatically makes the wielder proficient with the weapon...in Complete Arcane, maybe?

Skillful. +2 equivalent. Complete Arcane p.144