PDA

View Full Version : One Man OotS

kpenguin
2007-07-20, 11:29 PM
If you could pick a single person to voice all the voices (or almost all the voices) in Order of the Stick, who would you pick. What person would have the acting talent, the comedic genius, and the prowess with imitating accents and people to bring these wonderful voices to justice?

Belkar's Left Foot
2007-07-20, 11:31 PM
Well, if I had to choose....Robin Williams....or Jay Leno.

kpenguin
2007-07-20, 11:32 PM
Ooooo... Robin Williams. I could see hear that.

Icewalker
2007-07-20, 11:38 PM
Robin Williams. Definitely. Only guy who I can think of who can do that many and that variable voices.

Aethir
2007-07-20, 11:51 PM
Robin Williams does have the ability to cover all range of voices. My problem with him is when it comes to voicing V, I mean what voice type fits the androgynous category?

Alysar
2007-07-20, 11:54 PM
Almost all? Billy West

I'm not sure how well he can do a female (or androgenous) voice, though.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-21, 07:19 AM
Just for Vaarsuvious, you coud use Julia Sweeny (Pat), or Dave Foley(Chris). These were the characters Pat, and hir lover Chris, from the Saturday Night Live sketch bits "It's Pat"

They were both of indeterminate sexuality. There were a lot of jokes where they played on the fact that no one could tell their genders, such as:

Upon receiving a gift of lingerie, Pat says, "We'll both enjoy this!"

and after falling down a flight of stairs:

Pat: Ohh... I crushed my nuts.
Other person: Oh, that's gotta hurt!
Pat: (Hold up walnuts) There goes my afternoon snack.

One_Wolf
2007-07-21, 07:56 AM
Rich Little

He could do any voice he wanted to do.

-One Wolf

Pronounceable
2007-07-21, 12:52 PM
John Cleese.

He's a god.

fangthane
2007-07-21, 01:10 PM
Mark Hamill. He hasn't caught a decent live-action part since Return, but he's torn it up on the voice-over circuit.

Nomadic
2007-07-21, 01:34 PM
I have to agree with the robin williams for voices. He would be quite able to pull that off.

Totally Guy
2007-07-21, 02:05 PM
Stephen Fry. He's very good at talking books and has a decent accent. I know that they all occasionally use US dialect words but I hear them all as having English accents with the exception of Belkar.

galdon
2007-07-21, 02:17 PM
Weird Al. he can make absolutely any voice imaginable.

Scarab83
2007-07-21, 02:38 PM
I know that they all occasionally use US dialect words but I hear them all as having English accents with the exception of Belkar.

:smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused:

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-21, 03:50 PM
I know that they all occasionally use US dialect words but I hear them all as having English accents with the exception of Belkar.

Wow, that's interesting... for Haley, Elan, and V, I can see it, but I can't picture Roy or Durkon or Belkar with an English accent.

Tyrmatt
2007-07-21, 04:00 PM
Durkon automatically overlays in Scots for me but that's because I'm a local lad there and hear that kind of voice on a daily basis.
Robin Williams would be funny. Chris Barrie could do it as well. I still stand by the endless topic of "Major Actors to Voice the OotS"

Dolohov
2007-07-21, 04:40 PM
I think Mike Myers could do a serviceable job of it.

Garriath
2007-07-21, 04:49 PM
John Cleese.

He's a god.

He's certainly a god of comedy, but I really haven't heard him ever do incredibly different voices, and I've well over 20 hours of Monty Python.

I'd put my vote in for Bill Roper. About 12 years ago he did every voice for Warcraft II, and somehow managed to make completely convincing orcs, elves, humans, dwarves, goblins, ogres, and more.

And even if the rest wasn't great, he'd be excellent as Thog :smalltongue: .

zillion ninjas
2007-07-21, 07:16 PM
Mel Blanc (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000305/).

But we'd need either True Resurrection or a time machine. :smallfrown:

And don't rules-lawyer me on the Res spell - that was a joke, son, a joke.

nerulean
2007-07-21, 07:31 PM
Wow, that's interesting... for Haley, Elan, and V, I can see it, but I can't picture Roy or Durkon or Belkar with an English accent.

Everyone tends to hear fictional characters in their own accent. Note that Glug is from that very fine land of England [/bias].

Roy, Haley and Belkar I definitely hear with fairly standard English accents, and V with an exaggeratedly posh one. Durkon is, obviously, Scottish. Elan I do hear with a slightly American accent, and I could see how it would suit Roy even though that's not what I'd hear.

However, to answer the OP, I'm kind of tempted to say Eddie Izzard. He might not have the range of some of the other voice talents, but his timing is unbeatable.

Bocc Kob
2007-07-21, 07:34 PM
I dunno, Robin Williams can do different types of voices, but you still always know it's Robin Williams doing a voice. As opposed to people like the aforementioned Billy West, who you look at all his different voice acting roles and go "wow, that was him?!"

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-21, 07:37 PM
Everyone tends to hear fictional characters in their own accent. Note that Glug is from that very fine land of England [/bias].

Roy, Haley and Belkar I definitely hear with fairly standard English accents, and V with an exaggeratedly posh one. Durkon is, obviously, Scottish. Elan I do hear with a slightly American accent, and I could see how it would suit Roy even though that's not what I'd hear.

Odd - I'm from America and I hear V with an entirely British accent. That's probably because I like British accents (at least RP ones) better than GA (General American).
Everybody else (save Durkon) is American to me (though I've been messing with Japanese/Chinese accents for the Azurites, but it's tough to do it right).

OP answer: I could do it.

HomerHT
2007-07-21, 07:38 PM
Hank Azaria, Dan Castellaneta, John Dimaggio...

What can I say? I likes my Simpsons and Futurama :smallbiggrin:

Also have to put in my vote for Mel Blanc.

It's interesting to see how many people picture the Order with English accents. I figured unless the accent was transcribed like Durkon's then they didn't have any. *shrug*

TroyXavier
2007-07-21, 09:26 PM
I'd definitely look for someone who specializes in voice work. Perhaps one of a pair of Toms. Tom Kane or Tom Kenny. Two guys with a lot of experience doing a lot of different voices. Another possibility would be Phil LaMarr who also has quite a range.

parafusion
2007-07-21, 09:29 PM
:smallamused: I'd go with Gary Gygax anyday.

Finn Solomon
2007-07-21, 09:45 PM
Phil LaMarr for me, although he might have a problem with the female voices.

Totally Guy
2007-07-23, 12:07 PM

I forgot about Durkon, but Stephen Fry can do a cracking good Scottish accent.

I can't do Belkar as English though, he's too badass.

Blayze
2007-07-24, 08:32 AM
Stephen Lynch. Or perhaps Weird Al.

Of course Durkon would seem to sound Scottish, it's the generic accent stereotype that plagues all Dwarves, so that's set. V's accent? It's got to be something that befits his superior intellect. Couldn't imagine him with a Brummie or Scouse accent at all. In other words, V would have an RP accent. No, that doesn't stand for "Role Playing".

Elan's accent? Er... Along wtih Haley and Roy, that's one that I can't seem to think of. But Belkar's accent? Heh. Of course he'd have a 'common' accent. He probably sounds like a Chav.

But then again, Rich would say differently, of course.

Skyserpent
2007-07-24, 09:02 AM
Seth Mcfarlane, he has a myriad of voices in that throat of his...

Also: Mel Blanc... he's dead now, but damn, he was good

Ezbez
2007-07-24, 09:33 AM
I'd put my vote in for Bill Roper. About 12 years ago he did every voice for Warcraft II, and somehow managed to make completely convincing orcs, elves, humans, dwarves, goblins, ogres, and more..

I've heard that before, but if you look at the credits for Warcraft II it lists about 8 people for voice acting. Or maybe that was just for Battle.Net Edition with the expansion and 'hero' characters? But I totally agree that a Warcraft style of voice acting would work for OOTS.

Shatteredtower
2007-07-24, 10:00 AM
Frank Welker.

basilisk 89
2007-07-24, 10:09 AM
Weird Al or Robin Williams.

As for character voices, I hear Durkon with a Scottish accent, V with an English accent and the other four with American.

Megatron
2007-07-24, 10:34 AM
Frank Welker.

I'm not sure how well he could pull off the female voices, otherwise that would be my first pick too. (but then again, that's probably obvious just from my screen name.)

Dalenthas
2007-07-24, 10:35 AM
Billy West, all the way. Even for the badguys. MitD practically has Fry's voice, and Xykon is halfway between Zapp Brannigan and Morbo (the newsmonster).
Though to me Durkon will be Sean Connory (or a bad impersonation thereof).

Deuce
2007-07-24, 11:07 AM
I'd round up some of the talent from Baldur's Gate II, Grey DeLisle (Haley), Jim Cummings (Shojo), Melissa Disney (Celia), Roger Jackson (Durkon), Kevin Michael Richardson (Xykon), Billy West (Belkar), Dwight Schultz (Redcloak), Heidi Shannon (V), Jeff Bennett (Roy) and Michael Bell (Elan). If the Snarl ever gets lines, they could get David Warner for it.

To stay on topic though - Mel Blanc was the man.

Nomadic
2007-07-24, 07:02 PM

Interesting. For me I hear them all (except for Durkon; who defaults to a Scottish accent) with some form of an American accent.

Deuce
2007-07-26, 09:14 AM
Another "If he were still with us" choice for the one-man show would have been Phil Hartman.

Shatteredtower
2007-07-26, 11:31 AM
To stay on topic though - Mel Blanc was the man.Not to take away from Mel Blanc's ability, but Dawes Butler was the man. Among his credits were Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, Leroy Jetson, Mel Blanc's stand-in for Barney Rubble after Mr. Blanc was hit by a car -- and he was both Fred and Barney in the pilot.

June Foray, on the other hand, is still more woman than either of them were the man. :smallwink: She and others (such as Arthur Q. Bryan's Elmer Fudd) did a lot more work on Warner Brothers cartoons than is indicated in the credits. (She was the second Witch Hazel, for example. I can't remember if she played Granny too, but that wasn't Mel Blanc either.)

DoomITP
2007-07-30, 09:52 AM
larry the cable guy ROFL