PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed A colossal dragon cups his "hands"

_Aaron_
2017-01-31, 03:32 AM
In the last session the party wizard casted time stop, shapechanged himself into a colossal dragon, and asked me if he could "cup his colossal hands" around a medium sized NPC.

He wanted to make him "trapped" without touching him, in accordance with the "other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells" clause of the Time Stop spell.

How would you handle this?

TIPOT
2017-01-31, 04:30 AM
Let him ready an action to grapple him when the timestop ends

Uncle Pine
2017-01-31, 04:40 AM
Just cast a wall of stone around the NPC.

Let him ready an action to grapple him when the timestop ends

This is also a good idea.

Segev
2017-01-31, 08:30 AM
Dragons are generally depicted as having about as much manual dexterity as a humanoid, relative to size. I see no reason this shouldn't work. His captive should be able to attack his hands, however. I mean, the dome formed by this would be, what, at least 64 inches (or just over 5 feet) in diameter? At a minimum, I'd give him the touch attack for the grapple for free, and let him go straight to the opposed grapple check.

Fouredged Sword
2017-01-31, 05:35 PM
Yeah, auto hit on the attempt to grapple, still needs to make the check but he does so as a dragon.

John Longarrow
2017-01-31, 05:51 PM
Does the spell actually say you cannot touch things? As I recall you could walk up to someone, draw the dagger out of their belt, and go back to where you started. You could not take the sword out of their hand though.

Doctor Awkward
2017-01-31, 07:44 PM
Does the spell actually say you cannot touch things? As I recall you could walk up to someone, draw the dagger out of their belt, and go back to where you started. You could not take the sword out of their hand though.

You cannot affect any creature in any way, or any item in a creature's possession when you cast the spell. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm)