PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Monster race?

frogglesmash
2017-01-31, 05:27 AM
What monster would you guys love to make a character out of if you didn't have to worry about LA, or racial HD, or"game balance," or any of those other pesky limitations? I'm personally partial to mind flayers and vampires, or maybe a nimblewright.

NerdHut
2017-01-31, 06:17 AM
It's not quite a monster race, but I'm quite partial to the Goliath from Races of Stone. I love that book so much that it was the first non-core book I added to my personal collection. My favorite race, hands down, is the Dwarf. That's followed closely by the Goliath, which itself is followed closely by the Stonechild (also Races of Stone). I love building tanky things, and all three are good for that, and the roleplaying possibilities go on for ages.

Vizzerdrix
2017-01-31, 08:42 AM
Flumpfs! All the flumpfs! Or the vivisector. Eating organs would be cool

Buufreak
2017-01-31, 09:03 AM
As a PC? Aranea. As an otherwise? Devils. Yea, its kinda a catch all, but I have this imagining of them that the true Hell they create is a bureaucratic mess, one like which not even the minds behind Futurama could possibly imagine.

Ruethgar
2017-01-31, 09:15 AM
Awakened Lizards, they already have ECL 0 by default, but good luck getting that approved for an actual game. I guess I just sort of like the simplicity of being able to be a 6ft badass lizard or dinosaur or go Draconic grab Dragon Wings and be a discount dragon. Plus those free skills, mmmm.

Tiri
2017-01-31, 10:22 AM
At the moment, Tomb Motes. I really want to play a Tomb Mote character, although I'm not really sure why.

khadgar567
2017-01-31, 10:29 AM
well if we gonna directly start from 1st level then my good old pick is succubus

BearonVonMu
2017-01-31, 10:37 AM
I am currently enamored with awakened housecats that take initiator classes. Sometimes I have them go almost un-geared so they can surprise foes, other times I have them go full Puss in Boots. Either way.

flappeercraft
2017-01-31, 10:38 AM
Tarrasque Cancer mage, why cancer mage is probably obvious. If not allowed then Tarrasque Warblade.

EisenKreutzer
2017-01-31, 10:40 AM
I'm going to have to go with Mind Flayers. I would love to play in an all-Illithid Underdark campaign.

Psionics... Psionics everywhere...

Krazzman
2017-01-31, 10:42 AM
I am forever thankful for Pathfinders adapation of the Half-Vampires (Dhampirs) although I never played one yet, I was burning up to play one of them.

Played both a Gizerai and Minotaur as well as a Doppelgänger in some monster games.
Also played an Orc in one of those but that was a only Orcs/Goblins type of game.

Just for the pure fun of it I would like to play a Leshy Alchemist sometime, my wife and I just find them adorable.

For DMing my favourites are Drown and Orcs though. Since both can be either hard encounters or utter cannonfodder.

I would also pretty much like to play a Troll Barbarian or Troll Paladin sometime as I think that might be quite fun.

dhasenan
2017-01-31, 11:23 AM
Couatls. I just want to see them flop around with a snake body and giant wings. It'd be adorable.

Unfortunately, whoever designed it has no idea how much snakes weigh. A couatl weighs 1800 pounds. It's close in size to a Burmese python, and those tend to be in the 30-70 pound range. Even adding wings shouldn't more than double it.

Tiri
2017-01-31, 11:25 AM
Couatls. I just want to see them flop around with a snake body and giant wings. It'd be adorable.

Unfortunately, whoever designed it has no idea how much snakes weigh. A couatl weighs 1800 pounds. It's close in size to a Burmese python, and those tend to be in the 30-70 pound range. Even adding wings shouldn't more than double it.

Well, it is an Outsider. Maybe it has some super-dense Outsider flesh.

Remuko
2017-01-31, 11:31 AM
Idk if I have a favorite, I really enjoy playing almost all of them, or rather any I think are aesthetically pleasing. I honestly cant stand playing base races unless I happen to be remaking an older character who was one of them. Normal +0 LA humanoids bore the heck out of me.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-31, 01:55 PM
Humans.

BECAUSE HUMANS ARE THE REAL MONSTERS!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/8e40262ce548f7f1e9df3ee625e6b68b/tumblr_mray6buHU11s5lw60o1_400.gif

Also Flumphs. Because flumph is fun to say.

Rijan_Sai
2017-01-31, 02:08 PM
Pixie

Or a Winged Tauric Doppelgänger/Displacer Beast...

Or a Spellwarped/Half Illithid/Half Fiend/Half-troll/Primordial Giant/Gheden/Half Dragon (Sand)/Half Dragon (Green)/Unseelie Fey/Greenbound/Phrenic Phase Wasp, Symbiotic-bound to a Half-Minotaur/Half-Ogre/Reptilian/Chameleon/Ghul/Half-Doppleganger/Unseelie Fey/Mineral Warrior/Voidmind Human... yes, a wizard did it...

unseenmage
2017-01-31, 02:11 PM
Golems.
Probably Runic Guardian with a flock of Spellsong Nightingales. Or a nimblewright.

I always wanted to play an Iron Golem wizard but the idea is just too clunky to be even remotely viable.

In PF specifically?
Clockwork Dragon. Monstrous Lycanthrope Clockwork Dragon.

For pure ultimate powah...?
One of the Elder Evils, an epic dragon or mithril golem, or even a statted deity.

In actual campaigns?
Spellstitched Necropolitans, Kobolds, and Goblins.

Segev
2017-01-31, 02:16 PM
A Shimmerling Swarm. Or just a Shimmerling.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-31, 02:23 PM
Shadesteel golems, dragons, half-fey half-succubus primoridal half-giants (for the +int). Mostly, though, I'd like to play a character with a history of (limited) fusion + astral seed application. Why yes, I have the abilities of a mind shard of pandorym AND a black ethergaunt AND an elemental weird!

lylsyly
2017-01-31, 02:25 PM
Pixies and Faerie Dragons

My alltime favorite character is a 1/2 Pixie, 1/2 Faerie Dragon Rogue/Scout Swift Ambusher (Gestalt game)

Hellofa Scout, hellofa Archer, darn good thief.

Dr.Samurai
2017-01-31, 02:26 PM
It'd have to be Mind Flayers for me!

Vizzerdrix
2017-01-31, 02:27 PM
Oooh! I have another one. Anthropamorphic murder of crows with a baby elephant animal companion. Bonus points if it can fly.:smallbiggrin:

GrayDeath
2017-01-31, 02:50 PM
Dragons.

Every Time.

Inevitability
2017-01-31, 02:51 PM
Inevitables. Not too surprising, I know.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-31, 03:19 PM
Inevitables. Not too surprising, I know.

It was...

inevitable.

Pugwampy
2017-01-31, 05:03 PM
I must have tons of Orcs , Goblins and Zombie encounters .

Dragonexx
2017-01-31, 06:05 PM
Angels and most celestials in general.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-01-31, 06:20 PM
If templates are on the table then A tauric lammasu lesser aasimar. A bastion of goodness! Otherwise an swordwraith. They are amongst my fave undead, but that may just be their fun picture.

John Longarrow
2017-01-31, 06:25 PM
2nd to Pixie... Really fun!

Otherwise Hobgoblin is a blast! They are the storm troopers of fantasy!

atemu1234
2017-01-31, 06:26 PM
Out of my players, I know a couple who would pick the tarrasque perhaps simply to spite me.

I, myself, on the other hand, have next to no clue. I'd probably pick something like lizardfolk - simply because they were kind of screwed over by their own design. Otherwise, probably hobgoblins.

Thurbane
2017-01-31, 07:00 PM
If there was no LA? In no particular order: Arkemoi, Unholy Scion (template), Faerie Dragon, Protectar, Marrulurk, Grell...

lylsyly
2017-01-31, 07:10 PM
I was thumbing through the old "Art of Dungeons and Dragons" today and saw a picture that has piqued an interest within me to take a stab at a 1/2 Centaur, 1/2 Minotaur.

(okay, where is my copy of Savage Species ...)

Ualaa
2017-01-31, 09:30 PM
I like the Nymph.

Neither the Stunning Glance, nor the Blinding Beauty are bad, but the Unearthly Grace sells it for me. Charisma modifier to armor class (as a Deflection bonus) and to saving throws as well. She has decent stats, including a good Charisma.

The nymph has casting, but not features, as a Druid of one level behind her hit dice. In the past, I'd take levels in Druid, or perhaps Monk 1 and then Druid from there.

A second choice would be the Succubus... and a third would be the Vampire.

Thurbane
2017-01-31, 09:44 PM
In the past, I'd take levels in Druid, or perhaps Monk 1 and then Druid from there.

If you dipped Battledancer 1 instead of Monk 1, you'd get Cha to AC twice.

Tiri
2017-01-31, 10:11 PM
If you dipped Battledancer 1 instead of Monk 1, you'd get Cha to AC twice.

Dip Battledancer 1, Monk 1 and Sorcerer 1, then take Ascetic Mage.

gorfnab
2017-02-01, 12:51 AM
Draegloths (Champions of Ruin) are fun to play in an evil campaign. Beguilers (Shining South) are a blast to play if allowed.

Particle_Man
2017-02-01, 01:45 AM
Due to a generous interpretation on reincarnation I got to play a treant without worrying about LA or racial HD and that was fun (I was a treant crusader).

Another DM allowed a "monster campaign" so I got to try an Astral Deva.

But yeah I would not mind giving a metallic dragon a spin one day, especially an old (at least!) one. ;)

Modrons might be fun too. ;)

Daedroth
2017-02-01, 05:16 AM
Dragons, angels and giants

Celestia
2017-02-01, 05:42 AM
Awakened animals. I love the idea of being some sort of intelligent animal with extraordinary powers. It doesn't even matter what, specifically, I go with. Bear barbarian? Cat rogue? Mouse wizard? Spider psion? It all sounds awesome to me!

I also like pixies, though I'd like them more if they were smaller, like Tinkerbell size. Two and a half feet is way too big to be a pixie.

Also, I want to play a unicorn because that would be great. Even better, a unicorn/pegasus mix. With a white coat. And a multicolored mane...

Segev
2017-02-01, 10:46 AM
I also like pixies, though I'd like them more if they were smaller, like Tinkerbell size. Two and a half feet is way too big to be a pixie.

See the Shimmerling from MMIII. Well, Shimmerling Swarm. They don't seem to come individually by stat block. (Though obviously it must be possible.) Given their native Int of 1 when not swarming (the hive mind has Int 7), you'll need to be a super-genius Shimmerling to be of Orc intelligence, though.

Malimar
2017-02-01, 10:59 AM
I used to be super into mind flayers.

Lately I've been more into rakshasas.

martixy
2017-02-01, 11:05 AM
Nymphs, Mariliths, driders, centaurs, minotaurs, primordial giants.

I'm big on mythological monsters.

Celestia
2017-02-01, 11:39 AM
See the Shimmerling from MMIII. Well, Shimmerling Swarm. They don't seem to come individually by stat block. (Though obviously it must be possible.) Given their native Int of 1 when not swarming (the hive mind has Int 7), you'll need to be a super-genius Shimmerling to be of Orc intelligence, though.
I'd rather just bump pixie down to diminutive or fine size.

Segev
2017-02-01, 01:01 PM

That's fair enough. Me, I don't know if it'd be more fun to play a single Shimmerling (super-genius at 8 int!) or a Shimmerling Swarm with its hive mind (Int 7 average, so could be as high as 16, but probably aiming for 7-12 range).

Remuko
2017-02-01, 01:32 PM

Its still a bit big but the Petal from MM3 is Tiny, a size below the Pixie. I think that's as close as you will get. Tiny creatures without a reach weapon don't threaten any squares normally though so playing one, much less something smaller could prove difficult. But I admit it does sound fun.

Celestia
2017-02-01, 02:35 PM
Its still a bit big but the Petal from MM3 is Tiny, a size below the Pixie. I think that's as close as you will get. Tiny creatures without a reach weapon don't threaten any squares normally though so playing one, much less something smaller could prove difficult. But I admit it does sound fun.
That's why you play a caster character. :smallwink:

Inevitability
2017-02-01, 02:47 PM
If you want to play a fairy, how about being a half-fey half-giant who got Returned to Nature quarce? You end up with a Fine character that's got butterfly wings, innate magic, psionic aptitude, and a surprisingly nice stat array (-6 str, +8 dex, +2 wis, +4 cha).

Red Fel
2017-02-01, 04:08 PM
I think we all know my answer by now.

Telonius
2017-02-01, 04:15 PM

Archon?

Gargoyle for me.

unseenmage
2017-02-01, 05:33 PM

Just how much trouble could you get up to if you played a Solar?

Segev
2017-02-01, 05:48 PM

Played? He is one. Just because the feathers are charred black by his dive...jeeze, you racists and your assumptions!

erasedisknow
2017-02-15, 08:25 PM
I'd be a Pun-Pun Tarrasque.

lord pringle
2017-02-15, 08:47 PM
I've always wanted to play a Were-Murder-of-Crows or a swarm shifter. I don't know what I'd do with it, but it seems fun.
Alternatively, a Wight Totemist. Negative level the **** out of everything.

AnachroNinja
2017-02-15, 09:47 PM
Man, can't believe I'm the first one to vote for Unbodied. I've always wanted to play one on a monster game. They're a rare monster that's actually almost playable in a normal game despite crazy LA and RHD.

Wolfofmibu66
2017-02-16, 02:56 AM
Chronotyryn(Fiend Folio) - giant adamantine bird sorcerers who claim to be the masters of time

Red Fel
2017-02-16, 09:55 AM
Played? He is one. Just because the feathers are charred black by his dive...jeeze, you racists and your assumptions!

Want to talk about racist assumptions? Not a single person guessed housecat.

Not awakened housecat. Not Half-Fiend housecat, or Phrenic, or any other template. Just plain, ordinary housecat.

It's like you don't even know me.

unseenmage
2017-02-16, 10:04 AM

Not awakened housecat. Not Half-Fiend housecat, or Phrenic, or any other template. Just plain, ordinary housecat.

Well! In that case my original question still stands. Facetious though it may be.

NecroDancer
2017-02-16, 10:11 AM
The thought of playing a neutral evil awakened house cat with psionics (basically your everyday cat) seems amazing.

In my campaign I plan for the characters to get mixed up in a battle between psionic were-rat deep gnomes with who are blackguards and half-fiends Gnolls who have flame magic but now I realize I need them to fight the orchestrater of this battle: Jay-Jay, the feline scourge of the underdark and his psychic cabal! (Loosely based off my cats IRL).

Segev
2017-02-16, 10:13 AM

Good thing I'm immune to [fear] effects, or the fact that I was once a 1st level wizard would have me quite scared at that assertion from sheer ingrained memory.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-16, 10:57 AM
No one mentioned kobolds yet, so I'll do it.

RedMage125
2017-02-16, 12:00 PM
Gnolls. All day.

They're mechanically subpar, no racial features, and only one racial feat, but I love gnolls.

4e made them playable. And the one time I got to PLAY 4e instead of DM I had a gnolls supercharger barbarian.

Red Fel
2017-02-16, 02:00 PM
Well! In that case my original question still stands. Facetious though it may be.

Which one? You mean this one?

None. Why would I get into trouble? I never get into trouble.

Segev
2017-02-16, 02:45 PM
None. Why would I get into trouble? I never get into trouble.

I think he meant "trouble for other people."

ZamielVanWeber
2017-02-16, 02:56 PM
Gnolls. All day.

They're mechanically subpar, no racial features, and only one racial feat, but I love gnolls.

4e made them playable. And the one time I got to PLAY 4e instead of DM I had a gnolls supercharger barbarian.

In my group we said "forget this" and dropped the LA and RHD from gnoll to make them usable. They are boring, but not terrible and you look awesome.

Red Fel
2017-02-16, 03:01 PM
I think he meant "trouble for other people."

Oh.

In that case, all of it.

Inevitability
2017-02-16, 03:22 PM
In my group we said "forget this" and dropped the LA and RHD from gnoll to make them usable. They are boring, but not terrible and you look awesome.

Seconding this. Orcs are probably still better for the dedicated melee warrior, but at least it makes gnolls playable.

unseenmage
2017-02-16, 05:20 PM
Oh.

In that case, all of it.

Must be Tuesday.

Pugwampy
2017-02-16, 05:23 PM
Gnolls. All day.

I hate gnolls

Psyren
2017-02-16, 05:26 PM
Ghosts are freaking broken. In addition to being nigh-invincible, PF gives them a host of new toys as well like the ability to possess objects.

I have a soft spot for Pleroma Aeons; they're extremely powerful and I think their design is just really cool.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-02-16, 05:47 PM
Seconding this. Orcs are probably still better for the dedicated melee warrior, but at least it makes gnolls playable.

Orcs are mostly (much) worse actually than a gnoll with no LA or HD, but water Orcs dig deeply into that.

Sheogoroth
2017-02-16, 05:48 PM
Doppelgangers.
I've always wanted to play a doppelganger that replaced a person that the part didn't know about.
Their motives are so interesting, you have a murdering race of ultimate social parasites whose primary motive is usually that they are just lonely and have no personal identities.

frogglesmash
2017-02-16, 10:31 PM
Doppelgangers.
I've always wanted to play a doppelganger that replaced a person that the part didn't know about.
Their motives are so interesting, you have a murdering race of ultimate social parasites whose primary motive is usually that they are just lonely and have no personal identities.

A lot of them are portrayed as just being very curious.

Inevitability
2017-02-16, 11:46 PM
Orcs are mostly (much) worse actually than a gnoll with no LA or HD, but water Orcs dig deeply into that.

*cough*Headlong Rush*cough*

ZamielVanWeber
2017-02-17, 12:59 AM

Hence mostly. Outside of situations where Headlong Rush is good (and I have a DM who is good at making you regret that feat).

Dagroth
2017-02-17, 02:44 AM
I want to play a Primordial Ogre Magi.

+2 Str, +2 Con, +12 Int, +4 Wis, +14 Cha

Get the Magic in the Blood feat to use the 1/day SLAs 3/day

Get a level of Battledancer for +Cha to AC. Grab a level of Monk (or two levels of Swordsage, if the DM will allow the feat to work) and get Kung Fu Genius (or Incardine Monk) for +Int to AC. Even if you only had base 10's in those two stats (& Dex), that's +13 to AC for a 27 base, 22 touch & 27 Flat Footed (Monk & Battledancer AC bonus is not lost when flatfooted).

Edit: If we're ignoring LA... throw in Half-Efreet for Outsider polymorph goodness!

Dip Battledancer 1, Monk 1 and Sorcerer 1, then take Ascetic Mage.

Need Sorcerer 4, because Ascetic Mage requires Spontaneous Arcane spellcasting of 2nd level spells.

If you want to play a fairy, how about being a half-fey half-giant who got Returned to Nature quarce? You end up with a Fine character that's got butterfly wings, innate magic, psionic aptitude, and a surprisingly nice stat array (-6 str, +8 dex, +2 wis, +4 cha).

Since you're half-giant, do you qualify for Primordial (additional -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha).

Of course, -10 to Str means that Ray of Enfeeblement practically kills you. :smalleek:

Uncle Pine
2017-02-17, 03:02 AM
Need Sorcerer 4, because Ascetic Mage requires Spontaneous Arcane spellcasting of 2nd level spells.

Or Sorcerer 1 with Sanctum Spell, but it could not be worth depending on the actual build.

Pugwampy
2017-02-17, 05:18 AM

http://images.memes.com/meme/571397

Jack_McSnatch
2017-02-17, 06:00 AM
Dragons, outsiders, fey creature, the list is a long one.

But more than any of those, I want to play a freaking werewolf. Every DM I've played under has declared them broken (obviously not understanding that +14 strength does not a game breaker make) and yes, I'd want to do the dire werewolf. I think it'd be fun both to build, and to roleplay. Mainly, I'd want to see how long I could keep the party from learning my secret, but... well, ripping **** up as a size large werewolf just seems like fun.

Matrota
2017-02-17, 12:31 PM
I love the idea of playing a griffon, but their stats are pretty bad and they have a lot of LA and racial levels.

Holcane
2017-02-17, 10:34 PM
I played a savage species Lillend and had so much fun playing one, would seriously recommend it.

Used alter self when needed to turn into a 'normal' looking human.

And also got the tunnel fighting feat. Built the character as a Dervish Dancer.

Inevitability
2017-02-19, 01:24 AM
I love the idea of playing a griffon, but their stats are pretty bad and they have a lot of LA and racial levels.

Griffons have a LA, now?

Hence mostly. Outside of situations where Headlong Rush is good (and I have a DM who is good at making you regret that feat).

You don't necessarily abuse it. In a game without easy Pounce dips, Headlong Rush is a viable option, and a sizable increase in your DPR (though I admit it loses steam later on).