PDA

View Full Version : Making a longsword only viable

deathadder99
2017-01-31, 10:36 AM
Hey again,
I'm dming a campaign, and just killed off one of my players... They decided against trying to resurrect their character and wanted to try playing Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter. It looks cool, and sort of matches the flavour of the campaign - plus this player really isn't a powergamer. They would like to use just a single longsword, which is completely inferior to both TWF and Great Weapon Fighting, especially as the blood hunter gets an extra 1d4 on every hit, and we're playing with feats so GWM and PAM are very strong.

I was thinking the following fighting style and feats, but would like to get some feedback and hear your homebrew feats!

For the fighting style, I didn't want to add extra hit chance, but I think the +1 damage and +1 to AC is a nice compromise while not being as strong as Dueling with a shield.

For Versatile Weapon master, I'm not really sure, but I wanted to get the choice of fast attacks or slow and powerful attacks. It ought to be on par with GWM and PAM in terms of power level, while not allowing both benefits on the same turn, but I'd like opinions.

Versatile Fighter (Fighting Style)
You know how to utilise your weapon to its best, letting you dodge more easily and putting weight behind your attacks when they matter. You get +1 to damage and +1 to AC while wielding only a single versatile weapon.

Versatile Weapon Master(Feat)
You're a master of switching between powerful, slow blows and fast strikes.

When you take the attack action with a versatile weapon you are wielding in one hand you can use a bonus action to do an extra attack, dealing 1d4 damage plus your Strength modifier.

When you take the attack action with a versatile weapon you are wielding in two hands, you can take -5 to hit, and gain +10 damage on the strike.

djreynolds
2017-01-31, 02:13 PM
Very Erevis Cale. It's cool.

Just let him be. He will catch on in time that he needs a shield or has to grab TWF or dual wielder.

Some players just like style over crunch. It's okay.

Arelai
2017-02-02, 08:10 PM
Give him the stats of a 2hander but just fluff wise let him describe a long sword.

Done.

RSP
2017-02-03, 12:40 AM
I'd go with just using GWM and just allow the -5/+10 with any weapon. The first part of the feat (bonus action attack on crit or kill) already works with any melee weapon and the -5/+10 isn't any better allowing it with a long sword rather than a heavy weapon.

If he's just going with fluff and you want to reward the PC, go with the above suggestion that as long as he's only holding the long sword, he can count it as a great sword.

Neither option breaks anything. Then again, neither does your homebrew feat, it's just getting into dangerous territory as other players may want to start making feats as well once the presidence is made.

Lombra
2017-02-03, 07:43 AM
Having a free hand is a feat that many overlook.

Zanthy1
2017-02-03, 02:10 PM

This is something to consider. I would say that if he specifically only uses a Longsword, and you want to give him a slight boost, have it deal a d10, treat it like he is using 2 hands, even though he is only using one.

So instead of 1d8 (1d10 Versatile) it would be 1d10 (1d12 Versatile).

One other idea is take the Falcion from 3.5 (could be in other editions as well, I never played them) and have it so that when using a longsword he deals 2d4 damage, which is going to be a little bit better than a simple d8.

Armok
2017-02-03, 02:30 PM
I've been considering how to go about this for a character concept I had myself actually, based loosely on the look of the protagonist of Dragon Quest 8. (Yes, I know his shield appears in battle. But on the overworld, with just a weapon on the character model, it looks pretty cool...)

This also kind of draws from Fate/StayNight's Saber, who fights without a shield.

They could go with either the lightly armored swordsman approach, or the heavier armor approach. Pulling it off with light armor will require both strength and a high dex to capitalize on light armor and make the best use of your longsword. Heavy armor will shore up your defense and cut down on your need for dex, but may not offer the style they're looking for.

Since their AC is going to be relatively low compared to shield users, HP is going to be a big thing for them. A high Con is going to be essential. I'd look into the Tough feat, to shore up their HP, and maybe Savage Attacker to pump up the damage they do.

Deleted
2017-02-03, 05:11 PM
Hey again,
I'm dming a campaign, and just killed off one of my players... They decided against trying to resurrect their character and wanted to try playing Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter. It looks cool, and sort of matches the flavour of the campaign - plus this player really isn't a powergamer. They would like to use just a single longsword, which is completely inferior to both TWF and Great Weapon Fighting, especially as the blood hunter gets an extra 1d4 on every hit, and we're playing with feats so GWM and PAM are very strong.

I was thinking the following fighting style and feats, but would like to get some feedback and hear your homebrew feats!

For the fighting style, I didn't want to add extra hit chance, but I think the +1 damage and +1 to AC is a nice compromise while not being as strong as Dueling with a shield.

For Versatile Weapon master, I'm not really sure, but I wanted to get the choice of fast attacks or slow and powerful attacks. It ought to be on par with GWM and PAM in terms of power level, while not allowing both benefits on the same turn, but I'd like opinions.

Versatile Fighter (Fighting Style)
You know how to utilise your weapon to its best, letting you dodge more easily and putting weight behind your attacks when they matter. You get +1 to damage and +1 to AC while wielding only a single versatile weapon.

Versatile Weapon Master(Feat)
You're a master of switching between powerful, slow blows and fast strikes.

When you take the attack action with a versatile weapon you are wielding in one hand you can use a bonus action to do an extra attack, dealing 1d4 damage plus your Strength modifier.

When you take the attack action with a versatile weapon you are wielding in two hands, you can take -5 to hit, and gain +10 damage on the strike.

I feel likw you can simplify this by saying that versitile weapons can be used as light or heavy weapons.

(Honestly finesse is a weapon property that is redundant)

SharkForce
2017-02-03, 06:46 PM
build a grappler, you'll be plenty effective grappling with one hand and using the longsword for attacking in the other. iirc, the tavern brawler feat allows you to make a grapple as a bonus action after a regular attack, so that's the route I would recommend.

1-3 levels of rogue can make the build even more effective (technically, he should probably switch to rapier for sneak attack for the most effective... or you could just ignore the "finesse only" requirement on sneak attack and just make it non-heavy. note that sneak attack does not require you to take advantage of the finesse property, merely that the weapon has it, so you can make strength-based attacks with your sneak attack). that would give expertise in two skills (or one skill plus thieve's tools, if so desired), one of which can be athletics (this would give a very high chance to grapple), plus at rogue level 2 the ability to dash, disengage, and hide as a bonus action, which is pretty handy. level 3 would only be recommended if you're looking at a specific rogue subclass that interests you... swashbuckler seems to be popular.

duelist fighting style would offer a damage bonus if so desired, or you could use mariner if you're open to UA material and he's wearing light armour for some added mobility.

Deleted
2017-02-03, 07:00 PM
build a grappler, you'll be plenty effective grappling with one hand and using the longsword for attacking in the other. iirc, the tavern brawler feat allows you to make a grapple as a bonus action after a regular attack, so that's the route I would recommend.

1-3 levels of rogue can make the build even more effective (technically, he should probably switch to rapier for sneak attack for the most effective... or you could just ignore the "finesse only" requirement on sneak attack and just make it non-heavy. note that sneak attack does not require you to take advantage of the finesse property, merely that the weapon has it, so you can make strength-based attacks with your sneak attack). that would give expertise in two skills (or one skill plus thieve's tools, if so desired), one of which can be athletics (this would give a very high chance to grapple), plus at rogue level 2 the ability to dash, disengage, and hide as a bonus action, which is pretty handy. level 3 would only be recommended if you're looking at a specific rogue subclass that interests you... swashbuckler seems to be popular.

duelist fighting style would offer a damage bonus if so desired, or you could use mariner if you're open to UA material and he's wearing light armour for some added mobility.

I would take the -2 damage and just use a dagger so, if I want to, I can throw said dagger at another creature. Especially if I have levels of Rogue. Sometimes, you need to help out your allies.

Strength based rogue was in an AL game recently, that thing is utterly ridiculous and might be the strongest melee fighter in this edition... It doesn't do top tier direct damage, but it can kill plenty well, as well as do everything else at a high level.

The dude went Arcane Trickster and had a stupid grapple check and a good stealth check.

Zanthy1
2017-02-04, 06:43 AM
This also kind of draws from Fate/StayNight's Saber, who fights without a shield.

Excalibur* is most certainly a greatsword. She never swings it without using both hands, and the damage output is insane, ergo probably a special greatsword that does like, 2d12 or something.

*Specifically the concept of Excalibur from Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night, the standard excalibur of King Arthur depiction is that of a longsword.

djreynolds
2017-02-04, 07:54 AM
It's certainly viable, just not optimal.

That's his choice.

Now there are 4 styles, tell him instead he can select defensive.

Now he can use a Longsword as a versatile weapon should be used.

In the long run it won't matter as much as you think.

Armok
2017-02-04, 11:27 AM
Excalibur* is most certainly a greatsword. She never swings it without using both hands, and the damage output is insane, ergo probably a special greatsword that does like, 2d12 or something.

*Specifically the concept of Excalibur from Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night, the standard excalibur of King Arthur depiction is that of a longsword.

Hmm... You think so? I've always seen it as a longsword, wielded with two hands as if taking advantage of the versatile property at all times. I also seem to recall the VN specifically calling it a longsword, but it's been a few years since I've read it.

Knaight
2017-02-04, 12:04 PM
Hmm... You think so? I've always seen it as a longsword, wielded with two hands as if taking advantage of the versatile property at all times. I also seem to recall the VN specifically calling it a longsword, but it's been a few years since I've read it.

The term "longsword" doesn't have a standardized meaning*. For instance, in HEMA it's generally used for what D&D would call a great sword.

*Beyond a sword that is long.

Zanthy1
2017-02-04, 04:42 PM
The term "longsword" doesn't have a standardized meaning*. For instance, in HEMA it's generally used for what D&D would call a great sword.

*Beyond a sword that is long.

True. Plus in the anime (which is all I have to go off of) anytime she wields it she always has two hands gripping tight, not a single moment that I can recall has her taking a handoff the hilt.

Davemeddlehed
2017-02-05, 03:22 PM

Especially with the Dueling fighting style(if applicable to the class in question). That longsword effectively becomes a great axe that you can swing one handed.