PDA

View Full Version : Sorcery Points Question

Armyman2287
2017-01-31, 10:50 AM
Heyo,

So my question is about sorcery points and expending them:

Can you expend sorcery points for spell slots levels that you would not usually have. For instance if I was a level 4 sorcerer (only having up to level 2 spell slots) could I expend sorcery points if I managed to gain enough to get a level three spell slot and then cast a level two spell using that level three spell slot. Of course the casted spell would have to gain an advantage of casting it at a higher spell slot, but could I do that?

Thanks,
Conner

Mikey P
2017-01-31, 10:54 AM
There is no stated prohibition, so I don't see why not.

Puh Laden
2017-01-31, 10:56 AM
Except you can't ever have more sorcerery points than on the table for your level. If you're level 4 you can never have 5 SPs at a time, so you can never create level 3 spell slots.

famousringo
2017-01-31, 10:58 AM
Heyo,

So my question is about sorcery points and expending them:

Can you expend sorcery points for spell slots levels that you would not usually have. For instance if I was a level 4 sorcerer (only having up to level 2 spell slots) could I expend sorcery points if I managed to gain enough to get a level three spell slot and then cast a level two spell using that level three spell slot. Of course the casted spell would have to gain an advantage of casting it at a higher spell slot, but could I do that?

Thanks,
Conner

Nope. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table. You need to be level 5 just to be able to have enough points to create a level 3 slot.

But other than that, and the terrible efficiency cost of Flexible Casting, this does seem to work. So at level 6, you could create a level 4 slot even though you don't have level 4 spells yet.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-31, 11:19 AM
Nope. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table. You need to be level 5 just to be able to have enough points to create a level 3 slot.

But other than that, and the terrible efficiency cost of Flexible Casting, this does seem to work. So at level 6, you could create a level 4 slot even though you don't have level 4 spells yet.

This.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/723570690067066880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Can a Sorc 6 flex 6 sorcery points into 4th level spell slot? Sorc 7 flex 7 to 5th level slot?
Yes.

Dalebert
2017-01-31, 11:46 AM
Glad you created this thread. It's often assumed that a sorcerer is replacing spell slots when in fact he is creating them. This has exactly the ramifications you brought up. You can create slots above and beyond what you normally have as long as you have sufficient spell slots to do so. This is why sorlocks can be so efficient if they manage to get some short rests.

There is errata that says these extra slots go away if you haven't used them by the time you take a long rest. Good thing. Otherwise this would get INSANE. Technically it still can get pretty insane if you just don't need a long rest and skip it. I make a point not to abuse this with my sorlock because I don't want every DM ever to hate me.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-31, 07:56 PM
Glad you created this thread. It's often assumed that a sorcerer is replacing spell slots when in fact he is creating them. This has exactly the ramifications you brought up. You can create slots above and beyond what you normally have as long as you have sufficient spell slots to do so. This is why sorlocks can be so efficient if they manage to get some short rests.

There is errata that says these extra slots go away if you haven't used them by the time you take a long rest. Good thing. Otherwise this would get INSANE. Technically it still can get pretty insane if you just don't need a long rest and skip it. I make a point not to abuse this with my sorlock because I don't want every DM ever to hate me.

Seems to only matter for 6th and 7th levels (create a 4th level and 5th level slot, respectively, a level early)

Although I suppose a Warlock could do this, it'd require hours of short rests. (like 7 hours of downtime) or many levels invested in Warlock...which could have been put into Sorcerer to just unlock higher level spell slots permanently (along with higher level Sorcerer spells) so I don't see this as a problem. The normal method seems to be better than the multiclassing idea.