PDA

View Full Version : Best tools for map creation?

Sigreid
2017-01-31, 06:24 PM
Some of you may have seen my thread on Fantasy Grounds a couple of weeks ago. Well, one of the things it doesn't do a great job of is map creation (you can import maps just fine). So my ask is, what are the best tools for making digital D&D maps? What I'm looking for is maps that not only look good, but a tool that is pretty easy to use for someone with very little artistic talent or patience.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Arastel
2017-01-31, 07:28 PM
I've never been able to find such a tool which is satisfactory, sadly. My solution has been to use good old fashioned paper and pens, and then to scan the maps into PDF format, which you may be able to import. I too had little artistic talent before I started doing this, but you can learn very quickly if you put your mind to it.

Sigreid
2017-01-31, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, sadly it's the patience and discipline that is the real barrier.

Foxhound438
2017-02-01, 12:43 AM
I've never been able to find such a tool which is satisfactory, sadly. My solution has been to use good old fashioned paper and pens, and then to scan the maps into PDF format, which you may be able to import. I too had little artistic talent before I started doing this, but you can learn very quickly if you put your mind to it.

^pretty much this. For me most fights occur in rooms or fields that are effectively blank, with the exception of maybe a table here or a pillar there. Big "important boss fights" I put more effort into. The last one I did was a big open cavern filled with old broken boats. Kind of randomly drew them around in places, a lot of the map didn't end up getting used but my players still enjoyed the visual of the place.