PDA

View Full Version : Creating new spell for arcane thesis

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-01-31, 07:39 PM
Greetings everyone

I was hoping to have a useful spell to add arcane thesis to, my guy is elemental themed (all elements, not just a single one) and honestly I don't want to take energy substitution cus it's a waste of a feat.

So, could I create a spell that combines orb of fire/cold/electric/acid/sonic into one spell?

Or rather

Create "orb of energy" where it lets you choose the energy type just before casting the spell?

Also, looking to combine all the "heart of fire/earth/air/water" into a single cast, through items or spells.

ALSO maybe create a more powerful version of those buff spells?

I can cast 4th level arcane and 3rd level divine

Anyone know the full procedure, mayhaps final cost, spell level, etc of the final outcome?

Thank you!

TheBrassDuke
2017-02-01, 09:57 AM
You really aren't wasting feats by adding Energy Substitution and Energy Admixture...also, maybe go Archmage, too, for that neat and similar ability they get.

Not much you can do otherwise, to combine your Orbs into one; at least not that I can think of, anyway. You're reaching pretty far with this, and you literally ignored a great solution to at least some of these issues (see first paragraph).

Custom Ancestral Relic Runestaff with the Heart of [X] spells...

*shrugs*

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-02-01, 10:13 AM
Thanks!

these are the feats I have

Mastery of day and night: maximize cure and inflict spells
Arcane thesis - @ lvl 6 (which spell?))
Easy Metamagic - *Twin and Maximize* cost is reduced by 1
Extend spell -
Empower spell+2
Maximize+3 (-1)= +2
Repeat +3
Twin +4 (-1)= +3

9 total with easy Metamagic taken twice

Should I simply arcane thesis fireball and get energy sub next time I get a feat?

Metamagic rod of energy substitution is only 3/day? There is no item that simply lets me sub the energy all time?

TheBrassDuke
2017-02-01, 10:57 AM
Are you playing with Flaws? Because two right at level one nets you two extra feats; and you said you're playing Human, right? There's another.

I think you should look into some PrCs that offer some free or at least easy metamagic (like Sandshaper, Incantatrix I think, uhm...), and not just fill all your fear slots with them. I don't know. But you'll want Energy Substitution and Admixture as soon as you qualify.

I'd also look at Elemental Savant, from Complete Arcane; it focuses on a single Element over time, but it is pretty cool, regardless.

BearonVonMu
2017-02-01, 11:12 AM
3.5's Spell Compendium has the third level evocation spell Rainbow Blast, which deals damage of all five energy types in a line.
Maybe that would be a solid basis for your created spell?

EoNhOeKnOwS
2017-02-01, 12:18 PM
Thank you all for replying :)

This is my character, we are level 7 gestalt

Desert dragonwrought kobold, with level progression up to lvl 13

3-Wu jen 3/Archivist 3
4-Mystic theurge 1/spellcaster 1 (generic class)
5-Mystic theurge 2/ spellcaster 2
6-Metaphysical Spellshaper 1/Incantatrix 1
7-Metaphysical Spellshaper 2/Incantatrix 2
8-Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Incantatrix 3
9-Ultimate Magus 1/Incantatrix 4
10-Ultimate Magus 2/Incantatrix 5
11-Ultimate Magus 3/Incantatrix 6
12-Mystic 1/Incantatrix 7
13-Mystic 2/Incantatrix 8

Current feats: (level 7)
Flaw
Flaw
Level 1
Scribe scroll (archivist 1)
Bonus feat (wu jen 1)
Level 3
Bonus feat (spellcaster 1)
Level 6
Bonus feat (incantatrix 1)
Bonus feat (metaphysical spellshaper 2)

One of the feats was used for dragonwrought

Thank you for making me look @ energy sub, it doesn't cost a higher slot! (But like everything else, gotta choose a specific element :( oh well)

EDIT; thank you for pointing out rainbow blast! It looks fun but the damage cap is very low :(

This is what I have so far

Arcane thesis - Fireball: +2CL, -1 cost to each metamagic used

Empower, maximize, twin spell (metamagics)
Twin and maximize get -1 each because of easy Metamagic, plus an extra -1 each because of arcane thesis, making the cost
Empower +1
Maximize +1
Twin +2

Which makes the spell a 7th level spell, if I take 4 stat dmg it makes it a level 3 spell, which does 164 dmg to each target (9d6 [max roll] x 1.5 x 2) If I change my extend spell Metamagic for energy admixture it does a ridiculous 324 per target (9d6 x 1.5 x 2 x 2), with a bit more ability dmg

At later levels I get more Metamagic cost reductions from burning sorcerer spells and simply leveling in classes. And probably get ... a feat that gives me +CL to evocation

Finally, fireball maxes at 10d6 ... :(

EDIT3: removed EDIT2

EDIT4: This is the best I could find regarding the creation of new spells. Basically it's taboo lol

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/magic/designingSpells.html