PDA

View Full Version : Warlock multiclassing?

NecroDancer
2017-01-31, 08:12 PM
So far in my DMs campaign I'm a level 7 warlock who's spells are focused on enchanting/illusion (not a fiend warlock) and my only main damaging spell (besides a suped up Eldritch blast) is blight. So far I enjoy the warlock class but I'm tempeted to take 1 or 2 levels in another class. My stats are 9, 14, 14, 12, 10, 18.

coredump
2017-01-31, 09:41 PM
So far in my DMs campaign I'm a level 7 warlock who's spells are focused on enchanting/illusion (not a fiend warlock) and my only main damaging spell (besides a suped up Eldritch blast) is blight. So far I enjoy the warlock class but I'm tempeted to take 1 or 2 levels in another class. My stats are 9, 14, 14, 12, 10, 18.

What is the 'problem' that you hope to solve via multiclassing? IOW, what are you unhappy about that MCing is meant to alleviate?

IMO, a suped up EB is for damage, the other spells have better uses.

Naanomi
2017-01-31, 09:43 PM
My first instinct is if you really want to multiclass, subtle spell is a great tool for what you are trying to do

NecroDancer
2017-01-31, 10:10 PM
What is the 'problem' that you hope to solve via multiclassing? IOW, what are you unhappy about that MCing is meant to alleviate?

IMO, a suped up EB is for damage, the other spells have better uses.

Another healer would be nice to have as always but other than that my party is pretty balanced.

I took the spell blight because we are going to be facing some plant monsters soon.

BW022
2017-02-01, 08:26 AM

Multi-classing won't help your damage at this point.

With (S 9, D 14, C 14, D 12, W 10, Ch 18) you are limited to bard, fighter, rogue, and sorcerer. Bard will give you some buffing, low-level spell slots, and low-level spells known. Fighter gives you armor, weapons, and fighting style. Rogue gives you sneak attack (with weapons). Sorcerer gives you some low-level spell slots and low-level spells known.

None of these are really going to help you much in terms of damage - baring maybe a pact of the blade warlock taking fighter or rogue for some extra damage in melee. Sorcerer is only going to give you a few magic missiles -- not really that powerful at 8th-level, even if you blow your 4th-level warlock slots to do so. Two levels of sorcerer for sorcerery points is still fairly limited -- you'll get a few chances to maybe twin an eldritch blast or something. Of course this costs you your 8th-level ability score increase or feat. Bumping charisma alone is likely worth more damage considering the higher eldritch blast hit and damage, plus likely spell DCs, than anything a sorcerer could give you.

Solunaris
2017-02-01, 09:35 AM
Multi-classing won't help your damage at this point.

With (S 9, D 14, C 14, D 12, W 10, Ch 18) you are limited to bard, fighter, rogue, and sorcerer. Bard will give you some buffing, low-level spell slots, and low-level spells known. Fighter gives you armor, weapons, and fighting style. Rogue gives you sneak attack (with weapons). Sorcerer gives you some low-level spell slots and low-level spells known.

None of these are really going to help you much in terms of damage - baring maybe a pact of the blade warlock taking fighter or rogue for some extra damage in melee. Sorcerer is only going to give you a few magic missiles -- not really that powerful at 8th-level, even if you blow your 4th-level warlock slots to do so. Two levels of sorcerer for sorcerery points is still fairly limited -- you'll get a few chances to maybe twin an eldritch blast or something. Of course this costs you your 8th-level ability score increase or feat. Bumping charisma alone is likely worth more damage considering the higher eldritch blast hit and damage, plus likely spell DCs, than anything a sorcerer could give you.

Well, depending on what Armor the character is wearing a Draconic Sorcerer would give a slight bump to AC. In addition to that going into Sorcerer for 2 levels would be a major jump in damage here. The ability to Quicken Eldritch Blast would make any Ranged Fighter swoon since it's basically Action Surge as many times as you have resources for it instead of once a short rest. If he goes at least 5 levels no only does he get access to a slew of 3rd level spells but the ability to burn his 5th level Warlock slots into points. And since Warlock slots reload on a short rest even if he expends all his other spell slots and sorcery points he still gets 5 Quickens per short rest.

And going into Sorcerer for just two level opens the door to tons of helpful cantrips, spells like Shield, and the ever loved metamagic.

To top off this glorious burst potential, his standard round to round damage doesn't even take a hit since Eldritch Blast scales with player level and not class level. As long as the Warlock has Agonizing Blast he can multiclass into everything if he wants. In combat he'll be relevant all the way to the end.

BW022
2017-02-02, 04:23 PM
Well, depending on what Armor the character is wearing a Draconic Sorcerer would give a slight bump to AC.

+1 to AC, on a base 12 chassis at 8th-level, is pretty pointless. Even with a good dex, the difference between AC 15 or 16 when fighting frost giants as a typical enemy is pretty pointless. He has already played seven levels and has obviously learned to avoid being hit via means other than an AC.

In addition to that going into Sorcerer for 2 levels would be a major jump in damage here. ...

He won't get any sorcery points until 9th-level (warlock/7, sorcerer/2) for that, he can quicken maybe three of times a day by consuming all his sorcerer spell slots. Meanwhile, he has given up +2 charisma (or a feat), 5th-level spell slots, a 9th-level invocation, etc. An extra six eldritch blasts might get you 60 extra damage per day (factoring in hit percentages and hex). +1 hit and damage alone from the ASI would to that over about 15-18 rounds of combat. Plus having an elemental with you, or being able to cast hold monster or something like telekinesis.

If he goes at least 5 levels no only does he get access to a slew of 3rd level spells but the ability to burn his 5th level Warlock slots into points.

Ignoring that he wouldn't have 5th-level warlock slots (warlock/7, sorcerer/5)... you are now comparing this vs. a warlock/12. That means... you've given up 5th and 6th-level spells, spells known, 2 invocations (including your 9th and 12th level ones), an extra warlock slot per short rest, a 10th-level pact ability, an ASI (or feat), etc. The ability to juggle low-level spell slots isn't that great when facing CR 12 foes. I'd rather have hold monster or eyebite vs. a roc than think than assume a few rounds of eldritch blasting or any 1st to 3rd-level spells are going to do much against 248hp.

Sure sorcerer can add some flexibility and might be fun. However, he has already reached 7th-level, so it is more optimal to gain higher level abilities than lots of lower level abilities. I've played in a game with a warlock/sorcerer vs. my warlock. His damage looked great at 5th or 6th, even by 8th or so... monsters had so many hit points that most of the time it was just better having a high level spell to stop it.

coredump
2017-02-02, 05:34 PM
THe problem is we don't know what the OP's goal is.

Necro, you say you are "tempted" to MC. Why? What is tempting you?

Is it the lure of more damage? Roleplay hooks? Different spells? Better AC? Higher Hit points? Better ilusions? better battlefield control?

What is it that you hope to achieve from MCing? Knowing that is the only way we can offer useful advice.

Dalebert
2017-02-03, 01:55 AM
I was planning to go str8 chain warlock with a kobold. My imp will be able to fly me around and I'll frequently have adv from pack tactics for EB to help make up for the hit I'm taking for no cha bonus. With every arcane caster, I typically get resilient con for concentration purposes and this one would be no different so my point buy is 8(6), 14(16), 15, 8, 12, 14. But here's the thing. If I just move 2 pts from wis to cha, and dip one level of sorcerer to start, I'll have con save proficiency and my first ASI, I can +1 con AND +1 cha so they're both 16. The downsides are obviously 1 level delay in warlock features but also no wisdom save prof which feels a little painful--mod of 0 on wis saves vs. decent wis saves.

Obviously there are some extra class features from sorcerer but those feel like icing. I'd go wild mage for most front-loaded features. It just feels kind of less balanced and more min-maxxy. I'd get Tides of Chaos and I'd pick a couple sorc spells that scale well via my warlock slots. Should I dood it?