PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell: Blood Hound [PEACH]

Perturbulent
2017-02-01, 06:18 AM
A player asked a question the other day after the party quickly mopped the floor with a vampire, but he got away after being reduced to 0 HP and turning to mist (they had used obscuring mist to get the drop on him, and the caster who produced it was unconscious, and thus couldn't dismiss it) There was quite a lot of blood from their slaughter of him, and she asked "Can one of the castery people animate the blood and make it lead us to him?" "...not yet... but that's a cool idea." another player chimes in "you could call it blood hound" "I'm writing this down!"

Blood Hound:
Necromancy
Alchemist 3, Cleric/Oracle 3, Witch 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: V, S, M
Target: A pool of blood
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort (Partial)
Spell Resistance: No

The pool of blood springs to life, resembling an amoeba and unerringly travels towards its owner. When it finally reaches its owner, it forces its way back into his body.
Its land speed is 10’/rnd +5’/lvl after fifth. It can swim at 5th level, fly at 10th, burrow at 15th, planeshift 1/day at 20th. It moves in the shortest path to its owner as is possible, adjusting as the path changes.
It has HP=the damage the owner took to produce it, this should include all the damage received in the single encounter, even if some of it was healed. It would not include damage prevented from energy resistance or Damage reduction.
It has a base AC of 13, with a dex mod=CL/2, and a deflection mod=Casting Mod. It has DR 5/Magic. Despite these statistics, it does not perform any action except movement. If it reaches 0 HP, the blood perishes. It is not subject to non-hp damage. It is immune to status conditions. It loses 5 HP at the end of each day, as it’s body dissipates in travel.
When it reaches its owner (occupies the same square) it automatically forces its way back in. The owner makes a Fort Save. If he succeeds, the blood joins his body harmlessly, merely sickening him. If he fails, he is still sickened, but must also take an amount of damage equal to the hp remaining in the animated blood.

Material Component: 2 Coins (cp for up to 9 CL, sp for 10-14th, gp 15-19th, and pp 20th).
Somatic Component: Respectfully placing the coins into the blood.
Verbal: Reciting final rites or similar benediction.

My biggest issue with it is the leveling. I think the spell makes sense, functions, and it is pretty cool. I just am not sure what level to make it. I started it at 2nd level, but then we added little details and figured it got more powerful, and so we move it up to 3rd. What do you think?
Any other improvements I can make on it?

Darth Ultron
2017-02-04, 02:48 PM
Well, you have a couple concepts into one spell. The HP is an odd way to keep track of things.

Mordenkainen's Trusted Bloodhound is a spectral dog with the track ability and it's 6th level. Pathfinder has a ranger spell Bloodhound that grants scent. Locate creature is 4th level and only has a range of a couple hundred feet. So your at least looking at 5th to 6th level.

I'm not sure what I like more: a bloodhound made out of blood or using a drop of blood to transform an animal into a ''bloodhound monstrosity''.

Blood Hound:
Necromancy
Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V, S, M
Target: A drop of blood
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With this spell the wizard creates a magical bloodhound made out of blood. The caster adds a single drop of the targets blood to that of the blood of an animal of at least small size. Doing so slays the animal. The result is a small sized, dog shaped mass of blood. The bloodhound created by this spell is the equivalent of adding the zombie template to a dog, but retains the scent special quality and track feat and gaining the supernatural ability to locate person(drop of blood target only). The bloodhound has only a single function: to find the body the single drop of target blood came from.

The bloodhound can unerringly sense it's target anywhere on the same plane and it moves in the shortest path to its owner as is possible, adjusting as the path changes.

When it reaches its owner (occupies the same square) it automatically forces its way back in. The owner makes a Fort Save. If he succeeds, the blood only nauseates them for one round, if failed sickness for 1-4 rounds.

Material component: the blood of any small sized animal.