PDA

View Full Version : "Oh god, not this argument again": The Compendium!

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 02:41 AM
Everyone here has seen them. They hijack threads for their own purposes, and contaminate the entire sub-forum for ten threads at a time. I'm referring, of course, to those bloody cyclic arguments. "The wizard doesn't seem all that awesome," "Monks are overpowered," "Tome of Battle: nuff said," "What is wrong with all you bloody RAW-huggers," et cetera.

I think it would be pretty cool if we collected all of those arguments into one thread, so that everyone could see for themselves that we have discussed them already. Now, I'm not talking about things like the current fascination with dragons, or the recurring fascination with Cool Player Anecdotes, just the flame wars.

Things that would be useful: concise summations of both sides of the arguments, and links to the pre-existing threads.

EDIT: ... It just occurred to me that this thread is probably going to bring every argument back at once. ...sorry? :smalleek:

Rinquist
2007-07-21, 02:48 AM
Apology Accepted! Let's go start a campaign, and go to a tavern AFTER the session is over!

Yechezkiel
2007-07-21, 03:08 AM
Isn't there a cyclical argument regarding everything in the game by now?

Let's see, starting alphabetically with Core... Barbarians, yep, Bards, check, Clerics, oh yeah, Druids, yes...

"Forums: beating everything to death since the 90's."
(I bet classical forums (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Jerash_Overview.jpg) did too).

Renx
2007-07-21, 03:47 AM
Oh god, not this again.

Why can't you just accept that people love trolling and be done with it? Also, there are people who inevitably know better than everyone else in the thread and feel obligated to say so. That should go without saying.

I guess this could be called troll-trolling. Also remember what they say about arguing on the Internet.

Morty
2007-07-21, 04:06 AM
This is forum. People discuss here. Some people come here and want to discuss something, and don't care that it was already discussed several times, because they weren't here back then. They also don't care that someone caused a flamewar on this subject because one or more of the disputants hadn't been able to keep things civilized. Can you blame them?

Demented
2007-07-21, 04:10 AM
I've got a bone to pick, an axe to grind, and goshdarnit, you're all gonna pay!

Oh, you meant gaming-related arguments. Nevermind then.
Still, do you think people would read a compendium about this sort of thing?
It's tough enough getting them to read and obey stickies! The buggers.

Diggorian
2007-07-21, 04:11 AM
... Also, there are people who inevitably know better than everyone else in the thread and feel obligated to say so. That should go without saying.

I fully agree.

Why cant people accept that I'm right, and that they're wrong? :smallconfused:

This would save a lot of space on the forums. :smallbiggrin:

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-07-21, 04:24 AM
I always thought it was because personal experience can differ greatly, if your experience consists out of a single play group in which the worst player plays a poor mage and the best player plays an optimised monk, then you can easily think monks>mages as everybody hates to be wrong they'll find it hard to admit they might be wrong.
New people who come to this forum won't bother to read old threads, even long sticky threads can easily be ignored, so as long as old people leave and new ones are coming we are doomed to repeat ourselves.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 06:55 AM
Oh god, not this again.

Why can't you just accept that people love trolling and be done with it? Also, there are people who inevitably know better than everyone else in the thread and feel obligated to say so. That should go without saying.

I guess this could be called troll-trolling. Also remember what they say about arguing on the Internet.

"Troll recursion fugue process initiated."

Please yell "Oh noes! What has science done?!" and flee the area/make your peace with god.

:smallbiggrin:

Roog
2007-07-21, 07:15 AM
Why cant people accept that I'm right, and that they're wrong?

I think thats the one opinion everyone shares.

Bassetking
2007-07-21, 11:04 AM
http://vicissitude.net/Images/Anime-WhatHasScienceDone.jpg

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-21, 06:22 PM
http://www.gallerylombardi.com/exhibits/zero.gif
Make your time.

(aaah, old memes)

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-21, 06:35 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: While I sympathize with the problem of having to read same discussions repeatedly, the solution is to simply not read them.* Attempting to gather them all into a single topic, which will: 1) be a complete muddle; 2) not prevent other threads on these topics from coming up; 3) be locked the first time any one of the topics becomes a flamewar; and 4) probably gather into a sentient pool of evil slime, given life by its own critical mass of anger, which will destroy the boards and eventually all life in the universe - is not a good idea.

*Unless, of course, you are me, in which case you pretty much have to read them all for moderational purposes. But you are not me, you lucky ducks.

Thus, it is locked.