PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Partial Caster Base Classes (all books)

lylsyly
2017-02-01, 02:54 PM
Did I miss any?

Bard - PHB
Duskblade - PHBII
Hexblade – Cwar
Paladin - PHB
Ranger – PHB
Sohei - OAS
Spellthief – CAdv

Do you think the Invocation and Incarnum users are roughly on par with the above? (not a tier discussion, please)

Thank you

GrayDeath
2017-02-01, 02:59 PM
Aside from the Bard I see the Incarnum Classes and wellmade Warlocks/DragonWannabes as "better" than the above. Mostly due to much higher Flexibility.
(aside from Spellthief-cheese which I assume is not the point as you mention the classes without context).

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-01, 03:10 PM
Unless there's something in Dragon Compendium (don't own it, don't want it), yeah that's all of them.

The totemist and incarnate are definitely ahead of the spellthief, sohei, and duskblade and are maybe on a par with paladin, ranger, and duskblade. They're definitely behind bards but so is everything else on this list.

The warlock and DFA are probably between those two sets.

Ruethgar
2017-02-01, 03:14 PM
Adept, Magewrite, and Psychic Adept might fit your criteria as partial base casters, of course they're more just bad casters than partially casters.

Cosi
2017-02-01, 03:19 PM
Unless there's something in Dragon Compendium (don't own it, don't want it), yeah that's all of them.

There is at least one: the Jester.

Also technically all the UA Paladin variants aren't listed. Mystic Ranger is also a partial caster, and different enough from Ranger to deserve a separate entry.

lylsyly
2017-02-01, 03:24 PM
Actually, I didn't even consider NPC classes.

I am going to add the Invocation and Incarnum classes to the list.

I am limiting next weekends marathon game sessions to these classes.

I warned them I was going to wait till today to call it. Why is there no :bigevilgrin: smiley?

This is my last weekend (for three months) as Temp DM and I love messing with the player's. The expect it of me, lol. We've had a blast the last two weekends and that is all that counts.

Thanks folks. I got all I need.

Inevitability
2017-02-01, 03:35 PM
The Savant from Dragon Compendium should also fit your criteria.

lylsyly
2017-02-01, 03:40 PM
The Savant from Dragon Compendium should also fit your criteria.

I looked at it, I can guarantee that none of the players will take it so I left it off.

I will bet that I end up with two paladins, 1 bard, 1 DFA and 1 Duskblade (already got text msg confirming 1 Paly and the Bard, lol).

Should be fun for a simple dungeon crawl.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-01, 11:01 PM
I'd place the Incarnate a little behind the Bard and the Totemist roughly even, albeit with a different focus. The Invocation classes are pretty close to the Incarnate, who is in turn above most of the others listed here. The Duskblade is in an odd place with top-tier offense and little else. The Soulborn exists but is awful.

And if you're counting psionics, add the Psychic Warrior (near the Duskblade and Incarnate), Psychic Rogue (a bit lower), Lurk (a bit lower) and Divine Mind (pretty bad).

Lord Haart
2017-02-02, 02:43 AM
The Factotum gains spell-like abilities that imitate Sor/Wiz spells of his choice of certain levels, which is basically a very limited Wizard's progression by an other name.

There are several PrCs that have their own short and limited-in-leve progressions, from Assassin to Fatemaker (very interesting one) to Chameleon.

Fizban
2017-02-02, 03:35 AM
Factotum "spellcasting" is comparable to a Bard minus the lower level slots, culminating in access to 7th level spells (but not Limited Wish because xp cost) and more 6th level slots than a Bard can get.

ShurikVch
2017-02-02, 08:59 AM
How about the Shadowcaster?

Also technically all the UA Paladin variants aren't listed. Mystic Ranger is also a partial caster, and different enough from Ranger to deserve a separate entry.Then all other variants of Paladin deserved mention too (Anarch, Anti-Paladin, Avenger, Corrupter, Despot, Enforcer, Incarnate, Sentinel, Wyrmslayer); and for Bard - there are Bardic Sage, Divine Bard, Harbinger, and Savage Bard

Psyren
2017-02-02, 10:21 AM
How about the Shadowcaster?

They go up to 9ths so I'm not sure they count.

Truenamer on the other hand- hey, stop it, those bricks hurt!

lylsyly
2017-02-02, 10:29 AM
They go up to 9ths so I'm not sure they count.

That is why I didn't include them, and I didn't include variants of Ranger and Paladin because I left it up to the players to ask if they could.

+1

On a side note, I got 2 Paladins, 1 Ranger, 1 Bard, and 1 Warlock (surprised me, I thought for sure he would take DFA).

Jormengand
2017-02-02, 11:25 AM

They can cast (a) 9th-level spells! Never mind that for some reason it says "Lexicon of the perfected map 4th" on it!

(4th-level gate is weird.)

Toliudar
2017-02-02, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't Psychic Warrior meet these criteria as well?