PDA

View Full Version : Curious Paladin Oath question.

Typhon
2017-02-01, 07:23 PM
So I was mulling over Paladins after reading and reviewing them. When a thought crossed my mind, could a Paladin change oaths? I don't mean Player A decides a Devotion Paladin is not him and says f*** it. I mean if it fits the campaign story and/or the main focus of that oath is destroyed or lost, could a Paladin change oaths? Say from Crown/Ancients/Devotion to Vengence?

If so would that be a complete shift in abilities to the new oath or a blending between the two? If not, why?

No real reason, I am just very curious about input on this matter. It struck me as I thought about Robert Downey Jr's line in Avengers.

Captain Panda
2017-02-01, 07:32 PM
Well, not in the rules, but the rule is always that the DM can decide. So if it makes sense, why not? If the thing a paladin was devoted to protecting is destroyed, why not let him swear revenge? Seems like a very cool idea.

Typhon
2017-02-01, 07:42 PM
If the thing a paladin was devoted to protecting is destroyed, why not let him swear revenge? Seems like a very cool idea.

Not especially revenge, but avenge. Very little difference, but stupid philosophy and psychology classes are making me very nit-picky.

I tend to agree with you. I could easily see that being something allowed.

Millstone85
2017-02-01, 07:42 PM
I mean if it fits the campaign story and/or the main focus of that oath is destroyed or lost, could a Paladin change oaths? Say from Crown/Ancients/Devotion to Vengence?I don't see Devotion or Ancients ever being a "mission accomplished" or "mission failed" deal. Even on Athas, a paladin of the Ancients would fight for a rebloom of nature or break his oath. But if the Crown is no more or Vengeance has been delivered, then yeah maybe.

If so would that be a complete shift in abilities to the new oath or a blending between the two? If not, why?Mechanically, it would probably be wiser to not mix and match. As for the fluff, one set of tenets is difficult enough as is.

Feuerphoenix
2017-02-01, 08:23 PM
It is possible from a mechanical point, by falling from your Oath, attoning to a new good and swear a new Oath :P