PDA

View Full Version : [PF] 7 Charisma Paladin

Cofniben
2017-02-01, 08:51 PM
I am playing in a campaign where my paladin has a legacy weapon that only works for paladins. The only party member who is lawful besides myself is a fighter with 7 charisma. If my character dies or chooses to sacrifice themselves for the better of the party, I want the weapon to go to the fighter. Is it possible to be an effective paladin with only 7 charisma?

tomandtish
2017-02-01, 09:04 PM
Well, let's see. Going by the PHB only, let's see what you lose:

Healing is Level x CHA modifier. Depending on your GM's ruling, you either don't heal at all, or you have a harm attack (level time -2 = -HP).

Turn Undead is 1x/day

Saving throw bonus is actually a penalty (-2) unless your GM says it is just 0.

Smite evil technically is at a -2 to hit, but you still get the damage bonus.

So from a mechanics point of view there's a fair amount of either loss or actual penalty (depending on your GM's rulings).

But from a RP point of view, is the fighter actually suited to being a paladin? If he's not already walking the walk, why leave him the sword? Leave it to an actual paladin.

(I'm sure there's ways to minimize the losses noted above).

Particle_Man
2017-02-01, 09:10 PM
Pathfinder not 3.5, right?

Well Smite Evil still auto-defeats DR, which could be useful, and even without the CHR bonuses, the level bonus to damage doesn't hurt.

Detect Evil at will is a nice benny.

How many levels of paladin does the fighter need to be considered eligible for this sword?

Psyren
2017-02-01, 09:17 PM

Healing is Level x CHA modifier. Depending on your GM's ruling, you either don't heal at all, or you have a harm attack (level time -2 = -HP).

Turn Undead is 1x/day

So from a mechanics point of view there's a fair amount of either loss or actual penalty (depending on your GM's rulings).

But from a RP point of view, is the fighter actually suited to being a paladin? If he's not already walking the walk, why leave him the sword? Leave it to an actual paladin.

Most of these are "bonus" rather than "modifier" so the negative value would be ignored/treated as zero. Lay on Hands says "modifier" but that is probably an oversight.

Cofniben
2017-02-01, 09:18 PM
Pathfinder not 3.5, right?

Well Smite Evil still auto-defeats DR, which could be useful, and even without the CHR bonuses, the level bonus to damage doesn't hurt.

Detect Evil at will is a nice benny.

How many levels of paladin does the fighter need to be considered eligible for this sword?

Only one level as far as I know

Cofniben
2017-02-01, 09:19 PM

Turn Undead is 1x/day

RP standpoint, very much, but low charisma is the point. I don't want the player to feel they have to go this route.

animewatcha
2017-02-01, 09:24 PM
There a paladin archetype that switches CHA for something else in pathfinder?

Jack_Simth
2017-02-01, 09:28 PM
Port Serenity from Dragon Compendium?

Cofniben
2017-02-01, 09:32 PM
Port Serenity from Dragon Compendium?

Pathfinder only, I'm thinking of suggesting a combination of Warrior of the Holy Light and Divine Defender.

Sayt
2017-02-01, 09:40 PM

Pathfinder only, I'm thinking of suggesting a combination of Warrior of the Holy Light and Divine Defender.

The Tortured Crusader from Horror Adventures replaces most of the paladin's charisma dependence with flat bonuses, and you can make up the lay on hands healing shortfall with the injured mercy for fast heal 3 for 1/2 pally level.

BWR
2017-02-02, 12:54 AM
You can see if you can get a slightly houseruled version of the Stonelord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf/stonelord-paladin-dwarf) that isn't dwarf specific.