PDA

View Full Version : True Creation and Golem Crafting

RoboEmperor
2017-02-01, 10:25 PM
Can you use true creation to create all the required materials for crafting golems? This will either make or break a character I am planning.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-01, 10:27 PM
Can you use true creation to create all the required materials for crafting golems? This will either make or break a character I am planning.

No reason why not, other than the XP costs. I suppose if you have it on a domain list, then you can use miracle and a dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell ability to get rid of those.

RoboEmperor
2017-02-01, 10:32 PM
No reason why not, other than the XP costs. I suppose if you have it on a domain list, then you can use miracle and a dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell ability to get rid of those.

Magic items require "magic supplies", and True Creation can only make nonmagical objects.

As for how to get it for free, I'll be making another thread for that :), that is, if this thread has no problems with True Creation and Magic Supplies.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-01, 10:38 PM
Ah, sorry. Thought you were talking about the body.

What those "Magic Supplies" are is never defined in RAW. They have no game statistics until a DM assigns them. So you'd have to ask the DM if the supplies are considered magical or nonmagical for purposes of True Creation.

Of course, a Wish would bypass that....

Necroticplague
2017-02-01, 11:01 PM
Magic items require "magic supplies", and True Creation can only make nonmagical objects.

As for how to get it for free, I'll be making another thread for that :), that is, if this thread has no problems with True Creation and Magic Supplies.

Where are you getting that from? The closest thing the Golem entry says is

The cost to create given for each golem includes the cost of the physical body and all the materials and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of the golem. Creating a golem is essentially similar to creating any sort of magic item. However, a golem’s body includes costly material components that may require some extra preparation. The golem’s creator can assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job. The builder must have the appropriate skill, which varies with the golem variety.
True Creation specifically says it can me used to create spell components, so that's good. The bodies are explicitly spelled out, and none of them are magical in nature.

RoboEmperor
2017-02-01, 11:01 PM
Ah, sorry. Thought you were talking about the body.

What those "Magic Supplies" are is never defined in RAW. They have no game statistics until a DM assigns them. So you'd have to ask the DM if the supplies are considered magical or nonmagical for purposes of True Creation.

Of course, a Wish would bypass that....

Determining whether or not magic supplies are magical or not should be the objective of this thread.

On one hand you are pouring XP into the magic item, so you could argue that magic supplies are nonmagical, but have properties that make them useful as part of something magical. Kinda like how copper isn't electrical, but it is ideal for conducting electricity.

Take Animate Dead for example. A corpse isn't magical, and the Onyx you put inside the corpse isn't magical either, but both combine with your spell mastery to create a zombie.

So one could argue the same could be said for golems. "Magic supplies" are essentially onyx-like stuff.

Where are you getting that from? The closest thing the Golem entry says is

True Creation specifically says it can me used to create spell components, so that's good. The bodies are explicitly spelled out, and none of them are magical in nature.

From Creating Magic Items page. I was under the impression Golems = Magic Items, so what is said there applies to golems too.

Anyways what you quoted and your logic is great. Golem page specifically doesn't say magic supplies, it says materials and spell components, all which are nonmagical, hehehehehe.

unseenmage
2017-02-01, 11:44 PM
I've used Spellclocks (Clockwork Wonders Archive online) to repeat True Creation for Construct body creation.
Getting creative one could even imagine combining multiple Spellclocks in a ring and timing their spells so that their multiple castings create one whole finished body which is puzzle-pieced together. Though IMHO this method is more appropriate for Animate Object/Minor Servitor (SS) application.