PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with my Warpriest

Sleepypeet
2017-02-01, 11:55 PM
hey guys first post here. Trying to build a warpreist and my GM has basically given us insane stats. my lowest score is an 18.
Ive never built a TWF crit build so i like the idea of going kukri's and crit focused. We are creating level 5 characters and just need help with some feats or any other input.
Right now i dont know what to do until level12ish because thats when all the crit feats are finally available.

Feats i currently have are:
two weapon fighting
Selective channeling
Weapon focus (free through class)
Duel enhancement (for sacred weapon)

Also right now im wearing full plate but not sure if thats the best choice because of my high dex. First time with this GM and ive heard that it is going to be fairly hard so i dont want my character to hold the group back.

Input would help so much!

CharonsHelper
2017-02-02, 12:06 AM
1. Don't bother with Selective Channeling. It isn't worth it for you since you don't get full Channeling, and you'll generally be better off killing whatever is hurting your buddies before healing them. Channeling should basically just be for out of combat healing. (outside of dedicated builds such as Oradins, in-combat healing in Pathfinder is rarely a good idea)

2. Mithril full plate will give you the best AC of any armor until you can afford Celestial Chain no matter what your Dex is. But is has the drawbacks of slower movement and ACP. Pick your poison.

3. With that kind of crazy stats, have you considered the Sacred Fist archetype? It basically gets monk style AC, which would give you two of your crazy high stats to AC, and with Mage Armor it'd be a higher AC than you could get with armor.

4. Take Weapon Specialization to replace the Selective Channeling. With TWF style, static damage is your friend! (If you weren't aware - you qualify for Fighter only feats.)

5. Take Double Slice to add 3ish damage to your offhand. (after Weapon Spec - since that adds +2 to both)

Geddy2112
2017-02-02, 12:23 AM
Good advice
What CharonsHelper Said.

My only minor tweak to said advice, is that you MIGHT be using channel in combat. Those times are only when you are surrounded by weaker undead, in which case you don't need to selective channel and you are nuking them. For healing, you are better off using fervor when it is a life on the line thing-bringing an ally back brings action economy back into the favor of the party, and those last few stabilize checks are difficult to hit. Should you have to waste an action to stop a death, you better bring them back into the fray. Otherwise, let channeling be a low level top off and use fervor to keep yourself in the game.

Sleepypeet
2017-02-02, 12:24 AM
1. Don't bother with Selective Channeling. It isn't worth it for you since you don't get full Channeling, and you'll generally be better off killing whatever is hurting your buddies before healing them. Channeling should basically just be for out of combat healing. (outside of dedicated builds such as Oradins, in-combat healing in Pathfinder is rarely a good idea)

2. Mithril full plate will give you the best AC of any armor until you can afford Celestial Chain no matter what your Dex is. But is has the drawbacks of slower movement and ACP. Pick your poison.

3. With that kind of crazy stats, have you considered the Sacred Fist archetype? It basically gets monk style AC, which would give you two of your crazy high stats to AC, and with Mage Armor it'd be a higher AC than you could get with armor.

4. Take Weapon Specialization to replace the Selective Channeling. With TWF style, static damage is your friend! (If you weren't aware - you qualify for Fighter only feats.)

5. Take Double Slice to add 3ish damage to your offhand. (after Weapon Spec - since that adds +2 to both)

So with this Gm he has some really weird healing mechanics. I have like a 140Hp so the normal healing isnt a thing. He goes by Percentage HP. So i use 2 fervor and can heal each person for like 20% of their health.(basically fervor healing starts at 1d6 which he changed to 10% and every time my fervor dice goes up i add 10% so eventually 60%) and I didnt really want enemies to also get healed. I really do like Wep specialization tho and double slice. those are for sure must gets. Gm said no sacred fist because with these stats it would break the game :(
Im at about the 10k gold mark so that chainmail might be my next buy.

Any recommendations on the crit stuff tho? Also forgot to mention he does let keen and imroved critical to stack. So 18-20 kukri with keen goes to 15-20 and then with improved crit it goes to
12-20. I know seems broken so im trying to take advantage :)

We also kinda needed a front line/ healer so was like heh never played warpreist or crit. what could go wrong

Sleepypeet
2017-02-02, 12:31 AM
What CharonsHelper Said.

My only minor tweak to said advice, is that you MIGHT be using channel in combat. Those times are only when you are surrounded by weaker undead, in which case you don't need to selective channel and you are nuking them. For healing, you are better off using fervor when it is a life on the line thing-bringing an ally back brings action economy back into the favor of the party, and those last few stabilize checks are difficult to hit. Should you have to waste an action to stop a death, you better bring them back into the fray. Otherwise, let channeling be a low level top off and use fervor to keep yourself in the game.

Yeah i agree. I think im going to use fervor to mostly do quick buffs like sacred weapon and such. maybe a quick heal every now and then. My healing is very powerful (with his weird mechanics) so not too worried about that. mostly just need help on the TWF and crit stuff. Just not sure what to get. Also that celestial chainmail fixes my 20ft movespeed problem which helps ALOT so thanks.

Also because im not that invested yet i could always go a non crit build, but i would be loseing the added utility i want from those crit status ailments like sickening and all that jazz. If someone knows a way to go Non-crit but keep alot of utility that would be cool too

BoutsofInsanity
2017-02-02, 10:26 AM
I don't know how many feats you get, but if you want to go all the way with Two Weapon Fighting, let me show you something special.

I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-master-combat---final

Two weapon fighting, as far as I can tell, is a penalty applied to off-hand attacks. So, if you go the sword and board route, grabbing with those bonus feats and your regular feats, two weapon fighting tree, and the shield tree, assuming only BAB attacks at 20th level you do the following...

Primary Weapon Would be +15 +10 +5
Shield would be +15 +15 +15 because of the way two weapon fighting works in Pathfinder with the feats. It's something I've always wanted to do and with Sacred weapon and a buffed shield, with haste, you keep defensive bonuses and don't really lose all that attack power. Something to look into at least.

exelsisxax
2017-02-02, 12:24 PM
I don't know how many feats you get, but if you want to go all the way with Two Weapon Fighting, let me show you something special.

I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-master-combat---final

Two weapon fighting, as far as I can tell, is a penalty applied to off-hand attacks. So, if you go the sword and board route, grabbing with those bonus feats and your regular feats, two weapon fighting tree, and the shield tree, assuming only BAB attacks at 20th level you do the following...

Primary Weapon Would be +15 +10 +5
Shield would be +15 +15 +15 because of the way two weapon fighting works in Pathfinder with the feats. It's something I've always wanted to do and with Sacred weapon and a buffed shield, with haste, you keep defensive bonuses and don't really lose all that attack power. Something to look into at least.

This is wrong. There is no avoiding -0/-5/-10 when using TWF iterative attacks from imp/greater TWF.

Shield master only removes actual TWF penalties from shield bashes - the -10 to -2 penalty for using TWF. But since you're crit fishing, shields are garbage and need to be ignored.

Sleepypeet
2017-02-02, 05:51 PM
This is wrong. There is no avoiding -0/-5/-10 when using TWF iterative attacks from imp/greater TWF.

Shield master only removes actual TWF penalties from shield bashes - the -10 to -2 penalty for using TWF. But since you're crit fishing, shields are garbage and need to be ignored.

Yeah seemed to good to be true,

Any ideas on other weapons other than kukri? my character is a big guy and 2 little daggers isnt really appropriate. really just needs a 18-20 threat range since sacred weapon is where the damage is comming from

CharonsHelper
2017-02-02, 06:21 PM
So with this Gm he has some really weird healing mechanics. I have like a 140Hp so the normal healing isnt a thing. He goes by Percentage HP. So i use 2 fervor and can heal each person for like 20% of their health.(basically fervor healing starts at 1d6 which he changed to 10% and every time my fervor dice goes up i add 10% so eventually 60%) and I didnt really want enemies to also get healed. I really do like Wep specialization tho and double slice. those are for sure must gets. Gm said no sacred fist because with these stats it would break the game :(
Im at about the 10k gold mark so that chainmail might be my next buy.

Any recommendations on the crit stuff tho? Also forgot to mention he does let keen and imroved critical to stack. So 18-20 kukri with keen goes to 15-20 and then with improved crit it goes to
12-20. I know seems broken so im trying to take advantage :)

We also kinda needed a front line/ healer so was like heh never played warpreist or crit. what could go wrong

I've gotta say - with that many OP house-rules going on, I'm not sure how much help we can really be as any advice would be without knowledge of them.

With that kinda critting - kukris seems to be the way to go, though you could go regular daggers and take River Rat Trait for +1 damage & Pharasma feat for +2 to attack. Critical Focus would also be nice to get +4 to hit on confirms, especially since you'll be able to take Improved Critical soon and get 12-20 crits, and then grab the critical feats ASAP. You even qualify for the ones which are normally Fighter only. It also makes the Burst weapon enchantments worth it eventually (after Improved Crit and you get up to +5) since you'll be critting approx. 1/2 the time.

Other than that - make sure you get the Big 6 (7 since you have 2 weapons) items as well as grabbing Deliquescent Gloves.

Sleepypeet
2017-02-02, 06:43 PM
I've gotta say - with that many OP house-rules going on, I'm not sure how much help we can really be as any advice would be without knowledge of them.

With that kinda critting - kukris seems to be the way to go, though you could go regular daggers and take River Rat Trait for +1 damage & Pharasma feat for +2 to attack. Critical Focus would also be nice to get +4 to hit on confirms, especially since you'll be able to take Improved Critical soon and get 12-20 crits, and then grab the critical feats ASAP. You even qualify for the ones which are normally Fighter only. It also makes the Burst weapon enchantments worth it eventually (after Improved Crit and you get up to +5) since you'll be critting approx. 1/2 the time.

Other than that - make sure you get the Big 6 (7 since you have 2 weapons) items as well as grabbing Deliquescent Gloves.

wait what are the big 6?

CharonsHelper
2017-02-02, 07:20 PM
wait what are the big 6?

1. Magic Weapon (generally +5 enchantment 1st)

2. Magic Armor (generally +5 enchantment 1st)

3. Primary Attribute booster (belt/headband - though some classes get major advantages from both)

4. Ring of Protection

5. Amulet of Natural Armor

6. Cloak of Protection

The game's math basically assumes that you have all of these items and spend the bulk of your wealth upgrading them. Unless you have something specific that you really want for your character, generally speaking the best way to spend gold is to upgrade one of these six things in order from cheapest to most expensive.

If your character can't get one of them (such as a monk needing their neck slot for an Amulet of Mighty fists) you need to get an equivalent bonus somehow to keep your numbers high enough (which is why every monk worth their salt takes Barkskin as a ki pool power by level 4-5).

Sleepypeet
2017-02-05, 02:21 AM
So been searching around a some of the other players reccomended mithral breastplate. Would fix my movespeed issue (considered light) and also keep my same AC. much cheaper fix for only level 5 than trying to get celestial armour. Any other cheap but decent magic items i should go after?

CharonsHelper
2017-02-05, 10:00 AM
So been searching around a some of the other players reccomended mithral breastplate. Would fix my movespeed issue (considered light) and also keep my same AC. much cheaper fix for only level 5 than trying to get celestial armour. Any other cheap but decent magic items i should go after?

It wouldn't have quite the AC of mithril full plate. Mithril full plate is +9 AC & 3 max dex (12 total). Mithril breastplate is +6 AC & 5 max dex (11 total). The breastplate has the advantages of being cheaper, only 1 ACP, & doesn't slow movement, but no matter how high your dexterity it will be at least 1 AC lower. The system was specifically designed so that there would always be a reason to go with heavy armor.

Sleepypeet
2017-02-05, 04:04 PM
I think im ok with loseing 1 AC for lower armor check penalty and also getting that 10ft movespeed back. Alot of my party is quick and its hard to keep up as is. i believe i will be at 22AC with the breastplate. Not too bad. Just not sure what to save up for now as far as magic items