PDA

View Full Version : Constantine thread the second

Clopin Silk
2017-02-02, 06:14 AM
Earlier today I started a thread asking people how they'd stat up John Constantine. Of course, there was a problem... his kind of magic makes him a poor fit for D&D. So instead of working the numbers, let's try a little different...

What's the best Constantine-style Gambit you can come up with to use in D&D? My ideas are... fairly mediocre at best, honestly. The first is just a cigarette containing something to make its smoke extremely harmful to a specific type of creature, but nobody else. The other is to talk a Devil into a magically-enforced truce.And then, when it tries to kill a friend of yours, you get in the way. And keep getting in the way, so that it can't do a damn thing.

khadgar567
2017-02-02, 07:08 AM
okay so you want remy lebeau or compleately some other charming card shark then please explain what you ask

weckar
2017-02-02, 07:19 AM
I think he means gambits as in "Daring Tricks".

Bronk
2017-02-02, 08:13 AM
The other is to talk a Devil into a magically-enforced truce.And then, when it tries to kill a friend of yours, you get in the way. And keep getting in the way, so that it can't do a damn thing.

The more Constantine-esque way of doing this would be to use the friend because they have something he needs to enforce the truce, try to save the friend, but the friend dies anyway, then get drunk and mope about it for a while before hitting on half the bar.

The friend later comes back as a ghost to haunt Constantine, then accidentally gets soul assassinated. In doing so, Constantine makes a new friend...

weckar
2017-02-02, 08:15 AM
What WOULD Constantine's alignment be, anyway? I think it'd be in one of the southern regions...

Bronk
2017-02-02, 08:45 AM
What WOULD Constantine's alignment be, anyway? I think it'd be in one of the southern regions...

I think he aspires to be chaotic good, acts as if he's chaotic neutral, but the continued consequences of his actions have him edging towards chaotic evil.

He tries to do the right thing, but wants to do it his own way, which he knows always turns out badly but does it anyway. He gets good results, but his friends die, and although he doesn't do it himself, he used them knowing what was going to happen. He usually doesn't warn them either. He's also in a nearly constant state of betrayal.

Makes for a good antihero, anyway! Sort of like the Punisher, but with magic, and instead of avenging his family, he's continually reforming and re-destroying it himself.

Particle_Man
2017-02-02, 01:01 PM
Constantines have no fondness for governments, that is for sure.